Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Squarebody GM Pickups

Fabrux

In doing some research on reissues of this tooling, I ended up compiling what I believe is a complete history of the basic tooling from its introduction in 1977 until today. The information in this first draft is going by my limited exposure to these kits; I've mostly conjectured based on box art. Anything I'm not sure of is in italics.

The tooling for the squarebody GM pickup was introduced in 1977, representing a 1975-1977 model Chevrolet K10 stepside.This is kit 2228 and is molded in black plastic. Represents a stock pickup with an optional winch, sunroof, gunrack (with guns), tailgate-mounted spare tire carrier with jerry can, and roll bar with lights. Wheels are 6-bolt GM rallye rims and Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

2228.jpg

For 1978, the tooling was either modified or appended to represent a 1978 GMC styleside shortbed pickup. Kit 2236, molded in a red/orange plastic. Options include a roll bar with lights and bed rails. Wheels are GM 6-bolt, 10-hole mags and Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

2236.JPG

Also in 1978 a separate but related tooling was created to represent a 1975-1977 Chevrolet Blazer, kit 2238. Molded in red plastic, this kit builds up as a completely stock truck with a tailgate mounted spare tire carrier and jerry can. Wheels are incorrect 5-bolt chrome wagon wheels (most likely those shared with the Jeep CJ-7) and Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

2238.jpg

For 1979, the Blazer tooling was modified and appended to make a GMC Jimmy. Modifications to the original Blazer include the grille and a bulge in the hood. Options include a bull bar, roof-mounted lights, sunroof, and fender flares. Kit 2248, molded in white plastic. Wheels are 6-bolt, 5-slot mags and Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

2248.jpg

For 1980, the Jimmy tooling was reverted back to a Blazer to represent a generic law enforcement vehicle. This issue retains the Jimmy's 5-slot mags and optional parts, as well as a set of headers. Kit 2249, molded in red/orange plastic. This issue seems to have been run at least twice. Options include roof-mounted light bar with siren horn and decals for Big Horn County Sheriff's Department. Tires are Goodyear Tracker A-Ts. Second run replaced the Goodyears with PCV Desert Dawgs; an instruction sheet insert was issued indicating the tire change.

2249.jpg

Also in 1980, the original 1977 tooling of the Chevrolet stepside pickup was reissued. This kit, 2264, was molded in yellow plastic and retains all the original components. Wheels are GM 6-bolt rallye rims and Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.

2264.JPG

For 1981, Monogram introduced their High Roller series of kits with lifted suspension and big tires. The only GM pickup representation was the GMC styleside pickup from 1978. Modifications to the tooling include raised suspension and lengthened driveshafts. Kit 2273, molded in red/orange plastic. Box art shows 6-bolt, 10-hole GM mags with Ground Hawg tires. Box actually contains 5-bolt chrome wagon wheels specially tooled for the Ground Hawg tires.

2273.jpg

To be continued...

The Blazer tooling was revisited in 1982 to represent a pulling truck. This issue, boxed as the Pulldozer and number 2295 was molded in yellow plastic. Modifications to the original tooling include raised suspension with ladder bars; omission of front bumper, stock seats, removable roof and glass; front support frame, weights and tank; hole cut in hood for direct headers, high-rise intake manifold with dual carbs and individual air cleaners; rear pintle hitch; single racing bucket seat, and; a roll bar with lights and fire extinguisher. Wheels are incorrect 5-bolt chrome wagon wheels specially tooled for the Ground Hawg tires.

2295.JPG

With a monster truck craze sweeping the nation in 1985, the GM pickup tooling was revisited again. The first kit issued was the Monster Mash, kit 2420. This kit uses the styleside bed from the GMC and the cab and grille from the Chevrolet. A new hood was molded to allow the high-rise intake manifold to stick out. Suspension was modified to depict a typical mid-80s monster truck. Options include roll bar with lights. Molded in red plastic. Wheels are generic monster truck rolling stock.

2420.jpg

The second monster truck for 1985 was the Hammerhead Shark, kit 2421. This is a straight reissue of the Monster Mash, molded in blue plastic and different decals.

2421.jpg

Keeping with the monster truck craze, the Monster Mash kit was reissued twice in 1990. Kit 2426 was molded in yellow plastic and issued as the Demolisher; a second issue, kit 2427, was molded in pink plastic as the Ground Pounder.

demolisher.jpg

2427.jpg

The tooling sat dormant until 1992 when Monogram decided to reissue the original stepside tooling once more. Boxed as kit 2963, this issue seems to have had two runs; one in blue plastic and one in aqua plastic. Box contents are identical to 1977 and 1980 issues with the exception of a new decal sheet.

2963.JPG

After the purchase of Monogram, Revell decided to revisit the Blazer tooling in 2000. This was boxed as the "Mad Mudder" Chevy Truck and is a straight reissue of the Pulldozer with a new decal sheet and molded in white plastic. Revell kit 85-2584.

REV2584.jpg

And finally in 2012, Revell revisited the tooling once again to release a stock GMC styleside pickup. Options are the same as the original 1978 issue, with the addition of an optional snow plow and the Chevrolet's tailgate mounted spare tire carrier and jerry can. Revell kit 85-7222, molded in white plastic. Wheels are GM 10-hole mags and blank sidewall tires (Goodyear Tracker A-Ts).

rev7222.jpg

If anyone that has the kits in this list can confirm/deny the box contents, please let me know and I'll adjust accordingly. Also, if I've missed a reissue, let me know!

Edited by kataranga

I actually have the contents of that kit in a Mad Mudder box, minus the bed and leaf springs. I have two of the original '77 issues as built-ups; I compared the two and they're the same. Actually, the blue issue I have doesn't have the gun rack in it; did it come with that?

I have had 2 of the Sherriff's Blazer.

At least one had the AMT/MPC Hollow PCV Dessert Dog tires instead of the solid AT Trackers.

I need to check my unbuilt to see if it has the AMT/MPC tooled PCV Dessert Dog's too.

Box art still show's the AT's, but a separate page notes the tire change.

Kit in hand.

Rims are the 6 lug/5slot listed. (Chrome)

Tires are Formula Dessert Dog PCV's instead of Solid AT's shown on box

and instruction sheet.

Here is a scan copy of the supplement.

BlazerTiresuppliment.jpg

Notice that the outer rim is wider than inner.

Due to that, the MPC/AMT Formula Dessert Dog PCV's do not fit well.

They are tight, and tend to slip in away from the outer face.

Let me have daylight, and I will upload picks of the kit.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I actually have the contents of that kit in a Mad Mudder box, minus the bed and leaf springs. I have two of the original '77 issues as built-ups; I compared the two and they're the same. Actually, the blue issue I have doesn't have the gun rack in it; did it come with that?

No gun rack in the '92 reissue...and now that I look at the styrene, it is kinda aqua! :lol:

IMG_75682.jpg

Great write up, and fantastic info regarding the substituted tires. B)

The image of the forthcoming GMC shows the side view mirrors mounted to the vent window divider, which is not correct. I'm sure Revell will correct the mirror location before the box art is completed...hint, hint.

Ford pickups 1980-1991 coming up next. :)

@Casey: Whoa, that's quite the eye-burner! What year is that kit from? I'll add it to the list in the right spot. Looks like a straight reissue of the Monster Mash. Makes you wonder who decides the colours. :huh:

Your eBay-fu is clearly far superior to mine; I have never seen these kits listed. You must teach me your ways. ;)

I have the images for these two monster trucks and will add them to the list. I'll put the Ground Pounder with the Demolisher as 1990 releases; still trying to find a kit number.

I believe that all three trucks, Chevy, GMC, and Blazer/Jimmy, are all separate toolings that are based off the original Chevy pickup. All three have been available at the same time and reissued after one has been released. The only one that hasn't come back recently is the Chevy pickup.

I agree that it would be great to see Revell reissue the High Roller series. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch. They're reissuing the GMC, which was last seen as High Roller so they must've found the pieces for it. I'm actually using a Mad Mudder kit to build the High Roller that never was: Chevy Stepside High Roller. :)

Luc, I can't find any pictures of that kit. If you have it, could you post one? Thanks. :)

Casey: that would actually be the first one released, I'd wager, as it would almost be the same as the Mad Mudder. Unless, of course, the tooling for the seats has been lost. The stock hood and bumper can be grabbed from the upcoming GMC K10.

I agree that it would be great to see Revell reissue the High Roller series. I don't think it would be too much of a stretch. They're reissuing the GMC, which was last seen as High Roller so they must've found the pieces for it. I'm actually using a Mad Mudder kit to build the High Roller that never was: Chevy Stepside High Roller. :)

As much as I'd like to see the "High Roller" series return, I don't think we'll see it happen :(

The only real attraction these kits have over the "stock" trucks is the Ground Hawg tires, and they're not even quite correct (cool though!) Denman tire is no more, don't know how licensing would work for something like that, and the raised suspension isn't accurate at all.

Yeah, the raised suspension is pretty much just scary shackle extensions. As for the tires, Revell already has quite the track record of just shaving the sidewalls and releasing whatever tires they want.

gray07: I don't think any of the paint jobs depicted were ever factory options; seems GM was rather sedate with paint jobs in the '70s, surprisingly. ;)

plowboy: I just compared the Mad Mudder set of wheels I have with a set from the F-150 and they're the same with none of the defects you mentioned. Maybe I got lucky?

Casey: time to start researching! B)

Luc: Interesting! Looks like that kit would be a perfect starting point for a JAWS replica as it has the 73-75 roof. That gives me a starting point to try and find box art, thanks. :)

Thank you, Luc. I've never seen nor heard of the Blue Thunder Blazer until now.

I have to wonder it was ever made, though, as it looks like there are a few different/new parts, and the half-roof of the '75+ Blazers is gone, which would have required a new body mold. I wonder if it was planned, but cancelled when the showed flopped, leaving the helicopter as the only vehicle from the TV series which was released?

I remember the helicopter kit, never saw the Blazer kit. As far as these kits, I have the original GMC pickup and Blazer (missing the mirrors, but complete otherwise), the 90s reissue of the Chevy pickup, and Madd Mudder. Looking forward to the upcoming reissue of the GMC.

Another Monogram pickup of this era is the Snap Tite GMC tow truck, which was recently reissued...I have the '90s issue of it, one thing I didn't like was how the windshield shade was molded in place.