Model Cars Magazine Forum

1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Inspired build.

Shelbytona

I'm on to another build and this is a car i love (thats where i got my username from) I've owned 10+ of these cars over the past 7yrs, and i fully restored an 89 Shelby (the blue/charcoal t-top) I've owned a red 87 Shelby Z and a blue 88 Shelby Z, so i'm not to sure which one I'm gonna build it after. I wish they made the 89 to 91 style daytona!!!! that's my favourite body style.

Anyways here is the kit i picked up... right off the bat it has the wrong rims for the Shelby Z.. it should have "crab rims" and the kit comes with "eggshell" rims, which were on the Daytona pacifica.

5291aef0.jpg

My 87 and 89 which i sadly sold..

CIMG1942.jpg

I'd like to find rims similar to these in 1/25th scale.

CIMG1919.jpg

I don't have any pics of the blue 88, but this is the colour it was. This was my 89 i restored and sadly got rid of too.

CIMG3199.jpg

I plan on scratch building the motor to turbo 2 specs (inter cooled) this kit should have already been like this, but i realize it's an 80's reissue so i'll work with what i got!

I'm thinking of going with the flash red colour since i still have some of that paint left from doing the 89... I hope the tamiya primer is compatible with dupont chroma-premier base coat... i know if you spray the base directly to the styrene it will craze and destroy the body.. i'll have to do some experimenting!

Edited by Shelbytona

Nice car! I love the first gens too... reminds me of the wraith! The first gens were only turbo 1 cars and i believe the 84 daytona had the mechanical waste gate and air search turbo... not as consistant in boost as the 85+ turbo cars which were computer controlled via solenoid. Very quick cars for there day! my blue 89 was a bone stock T2 and ran the same time in the 1/4 mile as my cousins 89 mustang 5.0

I remember it being pretty fast... I still remember that tubo "kick," but not engineered very well. First gen bugs and all. Turbo blew out early, clutch cable snapped one day, etc. A fun car, but they hadn't really worked the bugs out. But I'm glad I bought it... it was way cool back in '84! B)

I guess i should have looked closer!!! it has two motors (three if you count the V8) it has the turbo 1 and turbo 2 motor! the T1 has the auto, which is correct with the real car and the T2 has the 5 speed. I'm pretty impressed with this kit, the only thing that looks scary to do is the front window. It also has the 1987 style two piece intake manifold as well.. the motor looks really detailed and i plan on adding all the details i can.

35f386ea.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

Yeah i've seen a few episodes, that was a cool 80's show! wasn't her car a t-top? I guess if you get some strip styrene and get creative it could be done with this kit.

it would be awesome if somebody made a resin cast of the crab rims, i know i'd buy a bunch of sets and you'll need them to build the hunter car.

Edited by Shelbytona

Yes those are the crab wheels, there 15" x 6.5" and used from 1986 to 1988. i'm not sure if there's any older daytona kits with these rims? I remembered those blacked out rims from that show. I think her 87 shelby was more of a prototype from chrysler (first tv view of the new style) because i remember reading somewhere that the car (most likely the one in the pic) had the older style first gen interior.

Here's the rims it comes with.. eggshell rims.

93d31aa6.jpg

87-88 daytona pacifica eggshell rims.

LSsmall.jpg

i'm not sure if there's any older daytona kits with these rims?

I don't think the crab wheels were included in any kits, as the Monogram 1GN snap-tite Daytona kits included some VW Super Beetle like custom wheels and the pepperoni pizza wheels.

I don't think the crab wheels were included in any kits, as the Monogram 1GN snap-tite Daytona kits included some VW Super Beetle like custom wheels and the pepperoni pizza wheels.

That really sucks. I might attempt to make a set.. these eggshell rims are a good base to start with, we'll see how far i go with this kit.

I also have a shelby charger kit in my collection (2 actually) and the rear window louvers are an exact fit on the daytona.

72cec9ee.jpg

7a647787.jpg

I'm thinking i might do this one black with tan interior now... that's always been my favourite combo on these cars. The rear louvers are going to look awesome on this car! i had a set for my car when i owned it.

Built one of these years ago (replicated it fitted out with Mopar's infamous RWD 'Conversion Kit'- you got a North/South engine crossmember... and that was the entire 'kit'), forgot it had two four cylinder engines in addition to the V8. It's acutally a pretty good kit for its time, IMHO.

Built one of these years ago (replicated it fitted out with Mopar's infamous RWD 'Conversion Kit'- you got a North/South engine crossmember... and that was the entire 'kit'), forgot it had two four cylinder engines in addition to the V8. It's acutally a pretty good kit for its time, IMHO.

That sounds awesome, do you have any pics? For the time this kit looks very nice and the body is perfectly in proportion. I'm going to build a replica of my mustang next, and the AMT 87 mustang 5.0 is terrible... The front nose is way to much on an angle, the lights are chrome plated and under the hood is all wrong in the rad suport area. The Daytona comes with some cool things too, like a radar detector and 80's cell phone.

Edited by Shelbytona

Yes those are the crab wheels, there 15" x 6.5" and used from 1986 to 1988. i'm not sure if there's any older daytona kits with these rims? I remembered those blacked out rims from that show. I think her 87 shelby was more of a prototype from chrysler (first tv view of the new style) because i remember reading somewhere that the car (most likely the one in the pic) had the older style first gen interior.

Here's the rims it comes with.. eggshell rims.

93d31aa6.jpg

87-88 daytona pacifica eggshell rims.

LSsmall.jpg

I have always know these wheel to be called "Sharktooth" wheels. As a Big MOPAR fan, especially anything fwd and fast!, I have never heard of these wheels being called "Eggshell"

I personally like the 85 Daytonas best! And if you couldn't tell from my user name, I really like these cars!

I will be watching this closely!

And those are some REALLY NICE Daytonas you put together!

I have always know these wheel to be called "Sharktooth" wheels. As a Big MOPAR fan, especially anything fwd and fast!, I have never heard of these wheels being called "Eggshell"

I personally like the 85 Daytonas best! And if you couldn't tell from my user name, I really like these cars!

I will be watching this closely!

And those are some REALLY NICE Daytonas you put together!

Thanks! I still own a white 1990 Daytona Shelby, but it needs alot of work like most of them do. They have a style that doesnt seem to age! My 87 shelby z even had the talking feature and digital dash. I have never heard them being called that, I just got the name from this site, http://www.dempseybowling.com/shelby/wheel101.htm

I got the motor halfs glued together, all the seam lines sanded smooth and the holes drilled for the heater hose and spark plugs. (one under the thermostat and the other below the alternator) I have to make one more hole for the dipstick, then a final sanding and paint. The firewall on this kit has the heater hoses molded in and it has them on the passenger side, going to the drivers side which is wrong. The 1:1 car has them coming out right beside the brake booster, so i'll be sanding those hoses off the firewall (i'd have to do it anyway)

I'm also going to be eliminating the A/C, since most canadian ones never had A/C and i don't feel like plumbing it and adding a condenser. I'm going to make a fuel rail, add fuel lines and run all the vacuum lines and make a solenoid pack for the strut tower. Oh i also want to add the clutch lever and cable. I will cook thru my model stash to see if i have a throttle body i can use, since this kit really doesn't have one.

3e0fcfc1.jpg

6c0c2695.jpg

I had to cut the distributer cover down, it was way to long and went past the valve cover, which would have interfered with the plug wires. They weren't that tall on the real car anyway.

519868d1.jpg

door handles are backwards, haha :blink: .

5cb4b522.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

Cool project. Love your 1:1's that you had at one time. I had a black on black 88 that I salvaged from a junkyard where the interior had caught fire. I paid $1,000 for it and only had to restore the interior to make it whole again. I also had a blue 89. Here is a pic. of one I built a few years back with aftermarket wheels. Wish now that I had bought more of these when they were $5 at Big Lots a couple of years back.

DSC02086-vi.jpg

Can't wait to see more on your buildup.

Thanks guys for all the comments so far. Your Daytona looks awesome wayne! I bought two more of these kits on ebay for $5 each, since i plan on making more... i want to do a T-top one and i need the motor out of one for my shelby charger model kit, since it has the 1.7L volkswagon motor in it, :wacko:.

Here's how i am painting the motor in this kit. Bone stock T2, this pic is from my 89 T-top car. I'll have a few pics tonight of the model, i should have the motor and transmission painted. I already have a coat of duplicolor cast aluminium paint on it, i just need to mask it off and airbrush the block gloss black.

CIMG2231.jpg