Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Ford Pickups 1980-1991

Fabrux

I had one of the Night Rider kits, it wasn't bad for a snap kit. The hood opened and it has some basic engine detail. I wish I hadn't messed it up but I was young and dumb. I have never seen the other two, I've been looking for a fleetside for a long time. Here is an 80-86 long bed I made from a Quadzilla kit, two Monogram Broncos, and the inside of the bed from the 91 F-250.

80ford.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The High Roller Bronco wheels are a factory item? Whoa! Here is a picture of the seat in the F-150.

Stumbled across this gem on Kijiji today:

%2524T2eC16RHJHEFFl3E%2528QYgBR-PMB%252C

%2524%2528KGrHqJHJBQFHmbMIkUzBR-PMFS8Dw%

It is a 1984, purchased in fall of 1983, being sold by the original owner with only 181919km on it.:o

• 3 weeks later...

I built the f250 2010 release as a real 4x4(failed attempt just glued a dif to the front suspension) gave it stacks and put cobra and gt500 decals on it. By chopping at the front suspension the wheels have some issues. It used to sit on my model shelf now its in a box in the closet...389170_305629306133672_1155149612_n.jpg

Edited by Platerpants

• 7 years later...

Bump back up to the top.

One interesting thing to note is the 4WD kits have what appears to be an NP205 transfer case, which is incorrect for the third-gen Broncos. They should have the NP208, which is what looks to be in AMT/MPC's version of the 1980 Bronco. From what I can tell, the NP205 is used across multiple kits because it was easy for Monogram, which is why it ended up incorrectly in the Bronco and F150 kits.

Edited by Jordan White

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 3:20 PM, Jordan White said:

Bump back up to the top.

One interesting thing to note is the 4WD kits have what appears to be an NP205 transfer case, which is incorrect for the third-gen Broncos. They should have the NP208, which is what looks to be in AMT/MPC's version of the 1980 Bronco. From what I can tell, the NP205 is used across multiple kits because it was easy for Monogram, which is why it ended up incorrectly in the Bronco and F150 kits.

One other interesting thing I found: for some reason they decided to use the 1979 engine bay for the 1980+ kits, despite them being different generations.

I understand that Monogram didn't make a 1979 kit, but I am saying that they, for some reason, put a 1979 engine bay in the 1980+ kits. 

1979 Ford engine bay:

1979-ford-f100

Monogram 1980 Bronco engine bay:

5472299661_ca308fd054.jpg

Notice the ribs coming down from the firewall, the similar heater core, and jack locations.

Now here's a 1:1 1980 Bronco engine bay:

1980-ford-bronco-lot-f128-kc-18-21-1544639923934@2x.jpg?1544733722000

25 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The Monogram Fords do have the wrong underhood detail. The '67-'79 Fords had the metal inner fenderwells. '80 and up had the rounded plastic inner fenderwells. I wonder what underhood detail the MPC Bronco has? I've never had one.

Doing a quick Google search shows that it does have the correct engine bay. The one I have is an old built kit, so I'm thinking I may try to swap it in despite the scale difference.

ssk9kJl.jpg

I guess that's the one I was thinking of.

Funny, they did a better job on the support ribs for a wrong application than either amt or moeb did for the rightful design. Maybe I'll have to try using that as a replacement in a amt or moeb F100.

Edited by mk11

• 1 year later...

No, the Monogram (now Revell) Bronco and Ramcharger always had 6-lug, 5-spoke wheels. The Bronco also had 5-lug, 8-spoke wheels that it shared with the F-150 Ranger kit. 

I forgot they were in the Jimmy kit though, so I'm sure that's where they originated since that would be the logical application for them!

Edited by Jordan White