Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I make a headliner in a muscle car

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the forum...

Use the large type of plaster (band-aid I think they are know over the channel), paint it and then cut to shap...

BelAirsml21.jpg

BelAirsml7.jpg

I got this tip from this forum, if you try the search thingy I'm sure the thread will show how to do it better as it was also the first time I have ever tried this method also...

Hope this helps...

Andy...

I've seen where people use a paper towel soaked in diluted Elmer's Glue, insert the towel into the car, let it dry, remove, cut to shape, paint, glue it in.

The band-aid plan would seem to be quicker and easier. You could use masking tape first for a template.

• 3 months later...

Depending on the type of headliner, i've used masking tape, velour ribbon and flocking all to great success. The masking tape may have looked horrible to you, but i've found it to be quite usefull and good looking when done properly. It also makes for a very convincing vinyl roof.

If there is ribbing in the headliner Jesse, add them using strip styrene like evergreen or plastruct. Then give each section a thin coating of testors cement and overlay your masking tape starting at the center and working your way to the outer edge. It can be burnished down much like bare metal foil. Then simply trim.

Velveteen ribbon, found at most craft stores can be used as well. Allow the glue a full day to set then trim with a fresh blade.

Some folks have used adhesive backed felt but to me it's too thick and the adhesive niether holds well, or plays nice with glues.

Embossing powder, which many folks use in place of flocking can also be found in the stamping section of craft stores. Apply it just like you would flocking.

There are some options for you. To develop a technique I sugget getting some junk or gluebomb bodies to practice on. ;)

THere are all kinds of headliners. What type are you trying to replicate? Vinyl? With or without holes? Wool/synthetic? That should dictate the material you use.

I think one of the most important parts of dealing with headliners is filling in the area at the interior roof pillars, which can usually be handled with half-round rod.

Edited by sjordan2