Model Cars Magazine Forum

DIY Nitrous Bottles

So I've been on the prowl for ways to make Nitrous Bottles. I really couldn't find much and I didn't want to spend $6 for one off of EBay. Then the planning and emphasizing began. I took to the How Do I? Section of the fourm for some help. Given, there are some great ideas that was posted within my other forums (http://www.modelcars...showtopic=55326), I've found something that works best for me. I'll post pictures up later but for now I believe I can get the idea across.

Materials Needed:

-Plastic Hanger (Ones you hang clothes on in your closet)

-Hobby Knife (BE CAREFUL!!)

-Sand Paper (Range of grits/ 320 works good for me)

-Pliers

1. Grab your plastic hanger. Using your pliers (or any other cutting tool to handle the thickness), CAREFULLY cut about a 3/4" to 1" piece of the hanger.

2. 9/10 you will have "Tags" on the ends. Use your Hobby Knife (again, CAREFULLY) to cut the tags and smooth the ends as much as possible.

3. Now use your sand paper to flatten one end and round the other end to imitate a bottle. Paint it blue and your good to go. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out some way to make a Valve for the top for a more realistic appearance. Any/ All ideas regarding this is greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I did up a nitrous bottle recently for my volksrod build from a plastic hanger. The hanger I used had a little hook on each side for dress straps or something. When I cut the hook off it was perfect. I drilled down from the rounded end and glued a small nail into the hole. Paint and a decal made from a web graphic did the rest

Edited by jcbigpaw

I didn't take any pics the first time so here's a quick one I did just for you.

First off I use these type hangers because they have two round ended straight pieces that are perfect. Note the black lines for my cuts which I did with a hack saw.

gallery_8811_712_959646.jpg

Next you grab a tiny nail and cut it down to size. (This one is too big but couldn't find smaller one for example). So these are your pieces to create with.

gallery_0_712_7440.jpg

I used my knife to start a small hole before drilling it deep enough for the nail to go in.

gallery_8811_712_1116675.jpg

gallery_8811_712_128480.jpg

Add a drop of glue and you've got your basic bottle. This was good enough for me. You could add a nozzle and gauge if desired.

gallery_8811_712_145240.jpg

Sand and primer then a coat of blue. Finish with a label snatched off the web using your favorite decal material and maybe some braided lines.

gallery_0_712_4951.jpg

The end result was good enough for my application but could certainly be improved on.

gallery_0_712_175265.jpg

Hope this proves helpful and I always welcome comments from my brother modelers.

Don't have any idea where we got the hangers but I had to dig through half the closet to find another one for the demo. Check your local stores. I've even seen plastic hangers at some $1 stores here. Otherwise just cut a straight piece to size and round off one end.

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...