Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Monogram's Dodge Ramcharger

Fabrux

There seemed to be some interest in this kit, so I figured I would do this one next.

Monogram originally released the Dodge Ramcharger in 1980. The kit was molded in off-white, carried the stock number 2263, and depicted the 1979-1980 body style. This kit depicts a stock, four wheel drive model of the Ramcharger. Options include a CB radio/antenna and a roll bar. Wheels are 5-slot mags with Goodyear Tracker A-Ts.
2263.jpg

Carrying on with the company-wide High Roller theme, in 1981 the Ramcharger was reissued. Kit 2272, this issue features the raised suspension and Ground Hawg tires common to the High Roller series. Molded in yellow plastic, this version adds aftermarket bumpers, side steps, off-road lights, roof rack, and fender flares. Rims for this version are chrome wagon wheels.
2272.jpg

After Monogram's acquisition of Revell,, they decided to reissue the Ramcharger again in 1992 as a Revell-branded kit. This issue, 85-7242, was bundled with a trailer and boat, following along with a set of tow-vehicle-trailer-and-boat series Revell was marketing at the time. This version is molded in white plastic and contains all the components of the original 1980 release with the addition of a trailer hitch. This is the last issue of this kit to date.
rev7242.JPG

Edited by kataranga

Thanks for the history.

A couple of of points to note with this kit - the axles are "open topped" which would be visible if you lift it significantly and it has no floor - there is a huge gap visible from below between the body sides and the interior tub.

Having said that when I built in the early 80's that didn't bother me and I remembered it fondly enough to hunt one down.

Very nice info! It already has come in handy for me! I I just picked up one! That amazes me because I have been a MOPAR man since I was a kid. And my dad and especially my uncle were alwyas giving me models at my birthday and Christmas or whenever and they were always Mopar models. Somehow this particular kit never made it into my stash. I guess that is why I am so excited now to get one! Only thing about mine is that I need to find a motor and trans and the rest of the engine componets for it! But none the less i am happy to finally have one!

Anyone that has built one, please post some pics!

Chris , I thought only Dennis Doty knew how to do a decent History of a particular model kit . he of course was the founder of the now deceased Model Car Journal magazine and contributing writer for Collectable Automobile magazine . You sir have stepped to the plate and have done an outstanding job of compiling a lot of desirable information on old kits . Thank You !

Ed Shaver

I'm glad everyone's enjoying these articles! If I had a copy of each kit in these lists, I'd be able to do better comparisons and descriptions. Although I suppose I could give a little more info in regards to the engines included, transmissions, etc.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying these articles! If I had a copy of each kit in these lists, I'd be able to do better comparisons and descriptions. Although I suppose I could give a little more info in regards to the engines included, transmissions, etc.

Actually, I have a complaint to register with you........these history lessons are causing me to search eBay looking for some of the kits I wasn't smart enough to buy or hold onto when I was younger! :P

Thanks for the information, it is nice to know more about this hobby and I appreciate you taking the time to educate us.

I'm glad to help! It seems the rarest kit of all is actually the Ramcharger High Roller; they're really hard to find! The Gone Fishin' set is the most plentiful version of the Ramcharger and I've seen the original issue pop up from time to time.

I'm glad to help! It seems the rarest kit of all is actually the Ramcharger High Roller; they're really hard to find! The Gone Fishin' set is the most plentiful version of the Ramcharger and I've seen the original issue pop up from time to time.

There's a High Roller Ramcharger on eBay right now...$40 start bid, $50 BIN!!!

Thanks for the info. I have the Gone Fishing set,looks like a neat model. The boat is also pretty nice replica of a Ranger 363. Wife built the version that came with the El Camino...looks great. I'll dust it off and post a pic

I have no idea which make/model the transfer case is, but maybe someone can ID it?:

HRRCtc.jpg

That would be a fair representation of the venerable New Process 205, cast iron, gear driven case. The version in the Monogram GM pickups is better, you would think they'd have used the same? :blink: