Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc extreme custom

Trans Am Erik

I think that helped the lines a lot, The only thing I'd suggest is maybe rounding peak above the headlights just a little bit like the picture of the black merc you posted so it follows the curve of the hood a little better. Either way I like where this is going and I can't wait to see the end result!

I'm going with a set of New Beetle headlamps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This past weekend I went to the Detroit Autorama. It was the 50th anniversary of the Riddler Award and there were some amazing cars on display, along with some great TV/movie cars. Besides being my Dad and I's 32nd trip to Autorama I got to talk briefly with Chip Foose! I knew that he appreciats seeing peoples drawings. I told him that I sketch in plastic and showed him pictures of the Merc. He said "WOW, that is a great looking model. I really like that design." That was HUGE for me.

181095_551464818209178_1132860362_n_zps8

As usual, I've only found this build a long way in. When I saw the first few pics, I didn't think I'd like the look of the whole car, but wanted to learn from seeing all the issues you dealt with. But seeing it progress and grow has won me over. I think it looks great and can't wait to see it finished.

For my 2 cents worth, I think that if the bottom of the body was straight, between the front and rear wheels, it could give it more of that classic Merc look. Not sure I'd be able to manage it myself, but having seen what you've been capable of on this build, I reckon you could pull it off if you wanted to.

• 10 months later...

I've been looking through this build again, and I'm wondering about the rear fender crease: consider making it parallel to the ground instead of tilting down toward the rear. I think this would appear to lift the rear a bit and give a more balanced look.

The side view at the bottom of page seven shows the crease above the rear tire pretty clearly. My thought is shiny paint will bring out the "droop" look this crease seems to me to give the back half of your car. On the other hand, it does echo the slant of the front fender. I really like this model, and I'm just trying to be helpful, not a pest.

The side view at the bottom of page seven shows the crease above the rear tire pretty clearly. My thought is shiny paint will bring out the "droop" look this crease seems to me to give the back half of your car. On the other hand, it does echo the slant of the front fender. I really like this model, and I'm just trying to be helpful, not a pest.

I appreciate the help. I will take a look at it. The thing i have to see if it's an issue with thebody crease or an optical illusion in the photo due to the coke bottle shape of the car. Any suggestions on what to do about it?

You might try rubbing that area of the body with a paper towel. This will bring up some shine and help to tell if there is a problem. If so and the body behind the crease is thick enough, I'd try sanding it out on one side. Then I'd compare the two sides and decide whether simply removing it was an improvement, and whether or not to add a new crease parallel to the bottom of the body. If it helps, I've been working on a custom based on the AMT 1955 Corvette, and am trying to do something similar. This kit is terrible; I'm sorry I started working on it, but here I am. I need to reshape the lower back of the rear fenders which are not even close to correct. In my case, I've filled in Bondo behind the area to be removed because quite a bit must go. This is your model, so your opinion is really the only one that matters.