Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300

Len Carsner

Once again Bill and I are privileged to be able to give a sneak preview of what's sure to be the next big "must have" kit - the Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300. For what I am sure seems like forever the forums have been buzzing about this kit and when will it be available. Well, your wait is nearly over.

What we are presenting here is our take on the latest all-new Moebius tool. We'll give you our observations and opinions, along with some advice and tips. And hopefully get your adrenaline pumping!

One note before we start - what we are building are pre-production kits - more than test shots but not quite production ready. There may be some fine details that change between what we present here and what you get when you open the box, however what we present here is about as close to final as you can get without being an actual factory package.

Also, we're not going to run a full set of pictures of the box contents. We're hitting the highlights and diving straight into the build.

Now, with that being said, lets get into it!

PICT0068-vi.jpg

Here's your rolling stock - Beautiful wide whites with your choice of either stock wheel covers or the optional Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.

PICT0072-vi.jpgPICT0073-vi.jpg

The body has all of the right lines and curves in all of the right places.

PICT0090-vi.jpg

As with the Hudson Hornet kit the floor and chassis are separate items. The interior builds up in pieces on this platform.

PICT0095-vi.jpg

PICT0096-vi.jpg

PICT0097-vi.jpg

PICT0099-vi.jpg

Yeah, it's got a Hemi! These four shots show the main engine components.

PICT0102-vi.jpg

Cleanup posed no extraordinary problems, just common sense and a little elbow grease.

PICT0105-vi.jpg

This mold line, and a similar one on the lower rear window molding, need careful work to clean them up without obliterating the molding. Again, these are pre-production pieces and this should not be an issue with regular production parts.

Continued....

PICT0109-vi.jpg

There was also a small tab-like point on the roof rail moldings that had to be addressed. Nothing serious, and nothing else to report.

1Mixpaintinterior-vi.jpg

There’s scientific proof we each perceive color slightly different. Len, Dave, Sean and I each took a shot at mixing our own version of natural leather for the C300 interior. I settled on a blend of Testors Tan and Flat White. Once mixed to a ratio that satisfied my eye, the mixture, was thinned by three to one in preparation for airbrushing the seats, dash and interior panels.

2Interiorpainted-vi.jpg

Interior parts were taped to a piece of card stock, primed and then spray painted with the light tan paint mixture.

3Partsmask4black-vi.jpg

After the light tan paint was completely dry, parts needing to be painted matte black (including the VC spark plug covers) were masked with Bare Metal foil and painters tape as shown here.

4Removemasking-vi.jpg

When the paint was dry, and the masking removed, interior parts looked like this.

5Interiorpartspainted-vi.jpg

At this point, the basic interior parts are painted and ready for further detailing including the steering wheel and column.

6DSC04018-vi.jpg

To give the natural leather look a bit more definition, The Detailer brown liquid was thinned slightly and applied directly onto the contoured surfaces of the front and rear seat cushions as shown here using an O size brush.

PICT0147-vi.jpg

Len chose a different route, using Testors Ivory over coated with Dull-coat, then Detailer Rust was lightly brushed over the seating surfaces.

7PICT0431-vi.jpg

7- The kit turn signal stalk and knob are way over sized Note here a comparison of the kit turn signal lever and knob and one modified to a more accurate size. Hand work with a hobby knife and jewelers file etc. made that task easy. Work slowly and with care not to break or damage these delicate parts in the process.

8bPICT0447-vi.jpg

Here the brake pedal and Powerflite AT selector have been painted and attached in place on and under the dashboard. The instrument cluster panel trim details have benefited from the application of Bare Metal Chrome foil, gauge surrounds were painted with Chrome bottle paint and instrument face decals applied in their proper locations. The steering wheel and column have been paint detailed. That’s the accelerator pedal in the foreground still attached to the sprue.

continued...

Edited by Len Carsner

8aPICT0440-vi.jpg

There is an excellent collection of waterslide markings on the C300 decal sheet including two sets of license plates and a full compliment of dash gauge faces, radio dial, analogue clock face and Chrysler script on the far right of the dashboard. We recommend the use of Microscale Micro Sol and Micro Set. Set helps the decals to stay in place while Sol helps soften the decal to better adjust to different surface contours.

9download-vi.jpg

10download3-vi.jpg

Here are two elevated views of the finished interior for Dave’s Platinum White C300. Dave chose Testors Radome Yellow with a Yellow Ochre Artist Oils wash to emphasize the relief in the natural leather interior upholstery surfaces.

11DSC03946-vi.jpg

Whether your final choice of hubcaps or wire wheels, The Detailer black wash really brings out the recessed details of either one by simply applying generous amounts with a small diameter brush as shown here. Note the wheel backs, having been painted matte black, waiting for further detailing.

PICT0146-vi.jpg

Here we have one of the finished KH wire wheels mounted in place. Pictures don’t do them justice - they're simply gorgeous!

12PICT0478-vi.jpg

Drum brakes were state-of-the-art technology for mid-50’s big American Iron. Moebius has molded that detail on the backside of the inside wheels backs. Once the matte black has dried thoroughly, a mixture of gunmetal and aluminum was used to highlight the brake drum detail.

13DSC03939-vi.jpg

The iconic Chrysler 331 Hemi V-8 as depicted in the new Moebius 55 C300 is one of the most elaborate we’ve seen in a plastic kit. Here’s a look at the extensive parts count showing that realistic paint detailing will require a bit of planning. The use of various metallic paint shades (including Testors Metalizers), matte black, gold and a touch of orange for the oil filter go a long way in creating a very realistic looking 1/25th scale Chrysler Hemi engine.

PICT0137-vi.jpg

Here we see the box stock engine of Lens car installed in the chassis, waiting for the body.

14DSC03940-vi.jpg

Here we take a moment to show the array of intricate and well-engineered frame, floorboards, front and rear suspension and driveline part from the Moebius 55C300. Careful painting of individual parts (as well documented in the kit instructions) will yield a very accurate chassis.

15DSC03976-vi.jpg

Preparation for primer and painting on our C300 body and hood required a minimum of effort. There was minor attention required for mold lines on the front and rear fenders and above the body C pillars on either side. Using the hand tools shown along with 600 grit wet/dry automotive sandpaper make for pretty quick work.

continued...

16DSC03991-vi.jpg

Authentic factory Tango Red paint can be obtained from Model Car World for this project. Or, another choice would be this commercial enamel spray paint I found at a local hardware story in their paint section. I believe this is called Fire Red. After applying Plasti-Kote T-235 primer and a thorough wet sanding, multiple coats were methodically applied to the C300 body and hood. Be sure and keep track of how many passes you’ve made on the body and repeat that on the hood to ensure the paint job on both will match. Enough said.

17DSC04006-vi.jpg

Commercial enamel takes a bit longer to dry and cure thoroughly than automotive lacquers but much faster than model paints. A careful and thorough wet sanding with fine grit papers was followed up with numerous applications of white polish. Since this body wasn’t getting a myriad of waterside decals, a few applications of Pledge removed any debris, smudges and fingerprints and really brought the shine up. We recommend using an old toothbrush to remove whatever excess polish has worked its way into door lines and crevasses.

PICT0130-vi.jpg

There were only three factory colors for the 1955 C300. Dave Metzner did his in white, Bill chose red, and Len did the black car. The car received two coats of automotive primer, followed by four coats of color and two coats of clear. here we see the body as it awaits its appointment with a micro-mesh kit and polish.

18DSC04025-vi.jpg

Foiling the C300 body’s bright work isn’t extensive but will require your full cooperation to insure that each piece of Bare Metal is fashioned correctly and trimmed properly.

19DSC04033-vi.jpg

Once the Bare Metal application is finished, a final round of polish and Pledge wax is in order as shown here. This time the entire body surface gets the treatment. In some cases, carefully cleaning the body after Bare Metal Chrome has been applied with Fantastik liquid cleaner will ensure removal of all smudges and residue.

PICT0138-vi.jpg

The foiled black car has its "jewelry" installed and sits ready for final assembly

20PICT0466-vi.jpg

Testors Aircraft Interior Black bottle paint makes quick work of the under hood fender panels along with the firewall details as shown here. A wide/broad brush with careful and well-placed strokes will allow the AIB to cover well. This paint dries quickly and levels out nicely.

21PICT0512-vi.jpg

It may not appear that way but there’s a lot going on in this picture. First the headliner was brushed-painted with Testors Tan including the sun visors. Then the interior lights inside both C pillars were painted. Once that dried, the front, rear and vent window glass was test fit and eventually tacked in place with blue painters tape as shown here. Next, white glue was applied along and around the edges of each window where it aligns with the window openings. While waiting for things to dry there, the inside rearview mirror was carefully installed.

22PICT0474-vi.jpg

Here the inside surfaces of the grill bars was treated to a few coats of Testors Aluminum carefully applied by hand with a small diameter brush. Checking out reference photos of a full-size C300 to confirm details like this is recommended. The cotton swap is to remove any excess paint.

23PICT0040-vi.jpg

Moebius covers all the rolling stock bases as offered by Chrysler for the C300 in 1955. Here we contrast the Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels to the stock C300 wheel covers. The choice is yours of course.

continued...

Edited by Len Carsner

24PICT0058-vi.jpg

25PICT0059-vi.jpg

26PICT0062-vi.jpg

Here we have three views of the finished Tango Red Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300 on a white background. From just about any view this looks to us to be an extremely accurate interpretation of the first Chrysler letter cars classic yet brutish lines.

27PICT0087-vi.jpg

28PICT0089-vi.jpg

29PICT0091-vi.jpg

Here we have three different views of the new Moebius 1955 C300 model on a gray background. Moebius has created something that from our view is the best rendition of this icon car’s compound surfaces to date. From the gangster-style WSWs, to the Kelsey-Hayes wires, to the delicate scripts to the pose-able front wheels, the final built model is nothing short of stunning.

30DMetzner-vi.jpg

31DMetzner-vi.jpg

32DMetzner-vi.jpg

Here are three views of Dave Metzner’s Platinum White 55 C300. Dave chose Testors Wimbledon White as a good match for the original factory paint color. Whether build straight from the box or treated to some additional detailing, this new Moebius 55 Chrysler C300 is something long overdue for Mopar enthusiast and car modelers in general. When this kit winds up in your hands, note that this is the same model Metzner built for the instruction sheet.

Edited by Len Carsner

33DMetzner-vi.jpg

This is an engine compartment shot of Dave Metzner’s C300 as built from a test shot. Note that everything is there save for the labeling decals. Even so, there's little detailing that would need to be added beyond that that would make major improvements on what you see here.

PICT00102-vi.jpgPICT0020-vi.jpg

PICT0022-vi.jpg

Here we see Len's black C300 from the top and bottom. Built straight from the box, the car is a real beauty that any modeler with average skills can duplicate.

34flock4-vi.jpg

35flock5-vi.jpg

We are again fortunate to be able to show you Sean Svendsen’s box art model of the Tim Flock NASCAR Grand National Mercury Outboard’s 55 C300. It is amazing how succulent this baby looks pretty much out-of-the-box. Sean chose Testors Wimbledon White and the kit decals really bring this one to life.

36flock2-vi.jpg

The off-white interior surfaces on Sean’s 55 C300 work well with the spartan appointments of an early NASCAR stocker. A four-point roll cage, and aircraft-style seat belts were pretty much the only safety features on these early war wagons.

37FLOCK12-vi.jpg

Don’t think your eyes are playing a trick on you. Yes…the straight pipes do disappear just ahead of the rear axle. Truth is, those straight pipes go up and over the rear axle, through the trunk and out through two openings in the rear facial panel just below the deck lid and above the rear bumper on both sides. Kiekhaefer engineers found out earlier on that hot exhaust directed straight out the back of the race car would quickly cause pursuing cars to overheat, there by forcing other competitors to lay back from these formidable Mopars.

st41037708895877_2187_72895095-vi.jpg

This is what you need to be looking for soon from you local hobby shops or on-line sources. This is the box art layout for the new Moebius 1955 Chrysler C300 1/25th scale plastic model kit. Absolutely, for sure..coming to a retailer near you very soon!

3955_flock300_top_hires-vi.jpg

Model King will soon be in action again featuring a Tim Flock NASCAR Grand National version of the new Moebius 55 C300. Sean Svendsen creates another classic box art that really captures the raw bare-knuckled excitement that was major league stock car racing in the mid-1950s.

So there you have it - another solid home run from Moebius. Combined with the previously released Lonestar and Hudson Hornet kits we have three models that just a few years ago you would have been called a dreamer to imagine ever seeing these subjects in plastic. With great subjects like this you have to wonder what comes next from Moebius. And while they’ve been reluctant to talk about future products whatever it may be, we’re sure it will be another winner.

We’d like to thank all of those who made this project possible:

Dave Metzner and Frank Winspur of Moebius - two guys who are serious about models and are a blast to talk with.

Sean Svendsen - whether it’s your artwork or models, we are in awe of your talent.

Gregg H. and Harry P. - for allowing us space on the forum (and for putting up with us...)

And to all of you out there who read, view, or comment on these build projects.

Thank you, one and all

Bill Coulter and Len Carsner

Edited by Len Carsner

One minor gripe I can see.... somethings up with the rolling stock. Wheels look a bit too small, tires look a bit too tall... maybe a combination of both.

That being said, will that stop me buying the kit? Absolutely not. The rest of the kit more than makes up (those Hemi engine parts look particularly well done), and the finished models look fantastic. Splendid job once agian, Len and Bill. B)

One minor gripe I can see.... somethings up with the rolling stock. Wheels look a bit too small, tires look a bit too tall... maybe a combination of both.

With all the scrutiny this kit has gotten up til now, I'd be amazed if they got the wheel/tire sizes wrong.

Anybody got a ruler?

Wow! The wait is apparently well worth it, now if I can just force myself to stay home until the kit actually arrives at the local Hobby Shop. (I think they would frown on a tent tossed on their doorstep).

Hey, if people can do it for concert tickets, you can do it for the latest from Moebius!

Hey, if people can do it for concert tickets, you can do it for the latest from Moebius!

Concert tickets? Computer games, or the new iphone....! Anyway it looks great! Like a full size Volvo Amazon, or 121/122..... The grille has the same shape, roofline is very similar. Oh sorry, I'm rambling away in the morning hours... nite nite!

With all the scrutiny this kit has gotten up til now, I'd be amazed if they got the wheel/tire sizes wrong.

Anybody got a ruler?

On second thought, I think it might just be the angle from which the models are photographed.

Looking at just the photos of the wheels and tires themselves, they look fine. Quite a few of the finished car shots are at a somewhat high angle- an angle you'd only see a 1:1 from if you were standing up on a stool or abnormally tall. From that perspective, the whitewalls look like they're tucked up into the fenders a bit more than they should be, which would create the illusion of a too-tall tire and/or an undersize wheel. Looking at the first shot of the white car, which is shot at an angle more like how you'd approach the car in 1:1, the tires look a lot better.

Might just be a 'perception thing' on my part. B)

Oh yeah... drool... can't wait... I'm definitely getting at least a couple of these puppies... I hope the Model King brings enough of them to NNL East cause you know EVERYONE is gonna be grabbing this one up. The black one AND the red one...OOoooohhhh...

I need a cigarette...

I really don't like this model....dunno, just me , Then you go ahead and build this......now I will need at least 3 ^_^ ^_^

I'm with Mike. This car has never been on my short-list, until now.

Beautiful work on all of them.

I may have to buy a couple to build and another just to get a set of the wheels.