Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevrolime Bel Air

JasonFL

Hey everyone, I'm starting to post on here a lot so I figure I'd better start showing some work. My wife had bought this to help me get back into the hobby. Ironically she was unaware that the first real model I ever finished when I was a kid with my pop-pop was a Belair so I thought that was cool considering this will be my first finished model back into the game.

I didn't start taking photos until a little into the build but I was basically looking for a mean looking stance and just a real clean look. I let my wife pick the colors and rims out and I took over the rest.

The kit is the Revell '57 Chevy Bel Air Two Door Sedan 2 n 1

I'll call it "Chevrolime"

DSCN5145.jpg

Built the 283 V8 with the chrome, flat black, silver, and testors lime ice.

DSCN5088.jpg

I painted the whole bottom/frame flat black to match the body. This is the first time I had done the suspension the right way. I love the camber look but I may have over done it just a tad...haha! When I was a kid I would just stuff the rim and tire up in the wheel well and glue it. With the rear end I just went old school and did blocks.

DSCN5107.jpg

DSCN5112.jpg

DSCN5115.jpg

DSCN5114.jpg

I know I know the paint is rough but you'll be happy to know its gets a better treatment later.

DSCN5154.jpg

Threw the body on and just smoothed out a few little things here and there

DSCN5097.jpg

DSCN5100.jpg

Thought it looked cool to see the rims tucking through the headlight buckets.

DSCN5142.jpg

Thanks for looking, constructive critisim is always welcome.

Edited by JasonFL

Hi Jason, it's looking good so far. I like the color combo you picked. If I could make a suggestions, I think some foil along the side trim would go a long way to make this build even better, but you did do a pretty good job painting it.

What did you do to get the front so low? I know there's a lowered front end option- I've got the same kit and have played around with it a little, but it didn't seem to get it as low as yours is. I'd like to get mine down close to that low as well.

Keep up the good work!

DSCN5166.jpg

This picture was one of the last photos I have with it looking this way. It was later dropped a few months ago and a few pieces had came off. I figured that was a sign because I wasn't happy with the look so after looking on this forum I knew I could do a lot better.

I then painted them with testors silver and scuffed them up with a scotch brite pad to give it a brushed metal look. This was my first attempt but I think it came out pretty nice.

The left one is painted silver and not scuffed yet

The right is finished

DSCN5892.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

I used the old exhaust tips to help fit them through the bumper slots were the back up lights used to be. I also used the back up lens on top of the exhaust tip to give me the exact shape I needed to fit in the bumper space.

DSCN5886.jpg