Model Cars Magazine Forum

MAN Trucks in the USA?

I think it will cool to see European trucks being used here, I welcome them. I learned something new today, I have always wondered why EU trucks were all COEs, now I know.

Last week , there was a show on the National Geo channel, it was about Volvo trucks , and how they recycle trucks. Once a truck has reached its end of the line, its taken to a shop in Sweden, and taken a part, and either parts of the truck are sold, sent of to be recycled. Volvo is also using recycle metals to make their engines. The only part of the truck that will not use recycled metal is the frame.

I wouldn't rule anything out- Iveco is thinking of reentering the US market (if they haven't already). Iveco trucks used to be fairly common up here in my area. Quite a few of them in the junkards too, now that I think of it...

MAN trucks seem to have a pretty good reputation, known even outside thier home market, so who knows?

I don't see trucks like this geared toward the independent owner/operator market, though, I have to agree with the assessment that they'd more likely be geared toward big fleets more foucused on economy than making a visual impression.

nah the foreign trucks suck i wouldnt even build that glad im in the us lmao I like the ice road truckers especially Kelly and the kw -900s but i didnt like the ice trucker hard roads i believe it is not into those foreign trucks to drive or build

Edited by pete3522

I think those trucks are 4cyl diesel?? The cabs are made out of plywood!! If you watch the ice road truckers i think its called dangerous roads or curves??any way the hot blonde chick (Kelly) drives the one Has to be hard to go to a foreign plywood underpowered box from a w-900 studio sleeper i think kelly shifted that piece of junk more then the w-900 and it was maybe a 2 ton straight truck?

I think those trucks are 4cyl diesel?? The cabs are made out of plywood!! If you watch the ice road truckers i think its called dangerous roads or curves??any way the hot blonde chick (Kelly) drives the one Has to be hard to go to a foreign plywood underpowered box from a w-900 studio sleeper i think kelly shifted that piece of junk more then the w-900 and it was maybe a 2 ton straight truck?

What the sSig_censored.gif are you talking about?, are you really this hateful of anything non American

In fact there is a new DAF conventional. It was build for a firm called Jansen. Here in Holland they owned a 2800 NTT and wanted to replace it for another Torpedo (as we call them)

So, this is no photo-shop.

Hessel

DAF%20XT%20Jansen.jpg

383648_339453212748742_204600746233990_1266569_1908572532_n.jpg

I like it!

I also think that the over engineered design of European trucks is the reason why the North American market do not accept them. More complicated construction means higher costs and more room for all kinds of malfunction. The basic structure of North American trucks did not change that much over the decades. It is no problem to meet full service trucks produced in 1960´s or even older on American highways. A truck that is over 8 years in Europe is suspicious for the highway patrol.

The way the North American trucks are ingineered is good for economy. It isn´t that costly, the parts are usually interchangable. The European trucks have too many changes during their production period. You may have two European trucks of the same make and model and their parts still wouldn´t fit. Just because of a different year of production or just a different place of production. That´s insane. The European truck makers learned a lot of tricks to keep the fuel consumption low. But what´s the use if the production costs are so high?

Something works well in America, something else works well in Europe. I am not saying that American trucks are better in general. I just think that they are cleverly designed for their own territory. And in my eyes... they look better.

Jarda

^^^^What he said!^^^^

In fact there is a new DAF conventional. It was build for a firm called Jansen. Here in Holland they owned a 2800 NTT and wanted to replace it for another Torpedo (as we call them)

So, this is no photo-shop.

Hessel

DAF%20XT%20Jansen.jpg

383648_339453212748742_204600746233990_1266569_1908572532_n.jpg

Small Hinos are not very nice to look at, bigger ones a little better. But this one has really weird proportions to it, stick to cabovers or review this design. And I thought the previous Volvos didn't look good.

It is not a photoshop. Jansen is a company in Eindhoven who drives a 3300 NTT conventional from twenty years old and they wanted their new truck to be a conventional as well. I have not seen the real thing but I think the front step is, as you say, left there from the COE carriage and makes it easy to get access to the engine.

Hessel