Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4

ismaelg

Hello,

I have to agree with Alain de Cadenet in his Victory by Design Ferrari show (DVD), where he says the Ferrari 330 P3 and P4 are among the most beautiful race cars ever built.

There are several options if you want a model of this car. Model Factory Hiro produces several versions in 1/24 multimedia kits that are most likely the ultimate 330 kits. But at over $250.00 each, well, that's out of range of many builders. But if you are dead serious about it, that's the way to go.

Fujimi, Heller, Protar and Union have released plastic models of this car in the past. I believe (But don't quote me on this as I'm not sure) the Heller, Protar and Union kits are related if not the same.

The Fujimi kit is a curbside but according to some experts has the best proportions overall. Discontinued for a while now, it is not that easy to find.

Fujimi has finally re-issued this great kit, but this time it is in white plastic. WOHOO!!! YES!!!!

DSCF6292b.jpg

Like all current Fujimi releases, the package has a window showing the body.

DSCF6294b.jpg

Included in the kit are decals and tire logos for BOTH Firestone and Good Year The photoetch parts are very nice and there is also templates and material for the belts.

DSCF6295b.jpg

The wheels are in a darkish golden color.

DSCF6296b.jpg

The sexy body looks to be very accurate.

The rest of the kit is typical Fujimi. Past building reviews are very good.

My intention is to build mine as the Ecurie Belge yellow car....

Thanks,

ismael, did you get this at a hobby shop or did you order it from japan?

actually what im wondering is, given fujimi's spotty track record with importing into the states, will this be available at the LHS?

its so cool im about to break my vow not to get started with ferrari...

• 3 weeks later...

It is one sweet kit. I have one of the molded-in-red originals. Gotta get me one of these.

Now, if Fujimi wouild only see their way clear to do a '57 pontton-fendered Testa Rossa or - even better - the beautiful 250GT Berlinetta Lusso. Yes!!!

Now, if Fujimi wouild only see their way clear to do a '57 pontton-fendered Testa Rossa or - even better - the beautiful 250GT Berlinetta Lusso. Yes!!!

Larry, I would buy a case of each of those if they kitted 'em!!! One can never have enough kits of vintage Ferraris! :D

I also have that kit, but what about an engine? Is there a transkit avaliable with a correct engine? Or how about a kitbashed engine, where to find one?? I just got interested in building this car for a CBP on our swedish model forum. I had started with the Ferrari Mythos, but it doesn't really give me the right vibes. Unlike the 330 P4.... :roll: Is that a sexy machine or what???

So, where can I find a suitable engine for this model?

Hans,

The Heller/Union/Protar kit has an engine that can be kitbashed. The Fujimi body would have to be cut open.

There is a top notch resin caster working on a transkit for this Fujimi release. I talked to him about a month or so. There is no word yet on when it will be available. Judging from his work, it will be awesome.....

Thanks,

actually what im wondering is, given fujimi's spotty track record with importing into the states, will this be available at the LHS?

Bill, it should be a lot easier than in recent years. DragonUSA (Hasegawa's current importer) is now also importing Fujimi.

Larry, I would buy a case of each of those if they kitted 'em!!! One can never have enough kits of vintage Ferraris! :D

Bill - Amen brother! Amen!

Speaking of Ferraris, the reissued Italeri 250GTO (Revell Germany) is out in Europe and is making its way to the States as we speak.

Hans,

The Heller/Union/Protar kit has an engine that can be kitbashed. The Fujimi body would have to be cut open.

There is a top notch resin caster working on a transkit for this Fujimi release. I talked to him about a month or so. There is no word yet on when it will be available. Judging from his work, it will be awesome.....

Thanks,

Thank You for the info! I'll look into the possibility of finding one of those aforementioned kits.... :roll:

Bill - Amen brother! Amen!

Speaking of Ferraris, the reissued Italeri 250GTO (Revell Germany) is out in Europe and is making its way to the States as we speak.

Another Amen from me!

The reissue 250 GTO is the Protar kit, not Italeri. Protar gets a lot of criticism for it's body, but it's actually an excellent kit. Every styrene 250 GTO has problems w/body proportions/details, the Italeri has a slightly better body but the Protar guts are better.

Bob, that's a bit surprising to me. Even though Italeri is, since 2002, the owner of Protar's molds, you'd think they would put their own home grown product first, no? But you're right, the guts of the Protar offering always were somewhat crisper than Italeri's. And it has that GTO "look and feel" to it despite any minor body criticisms.

Hopefully it will not be forever before someone gives us a 1964 version of the GTO. I wish I could put THAT bug in Fujimi's ear!

The Heller/Union P4 kit is a bad joke and the engine is worse. Like the 917 they are approximations of the original. The pattern maker was not even looking at the actual engines and made up details himself. I would rather go curbside than attempt to do anything with those lumps!

Island Collectibles will soon have their resin 330 P3 available which has an open top. You can make Dino Martin's street P4 from this kit. It was Fly Yellow with NART blue wheels on it with 4 glasspack mufflers!

Perhaps they used the Protar tool because of the higher detail, such as opening doors, etc. ? It's definitely a decent kit. I have the Protar, Italeri, and Gunze GTO's, they all have their strengths/weaknesses. I don't need another, so this latest reissue is a "pass" for me.

I'd like to see the Italeri 250 SWB and 275 GTB reissued, and also would like to see some other variations like the Lusso tooled up, would be nice if Fujimi saw fit for that.

• 1 month later...

I would say it is mid to late September when it comes out. I was told that some of the parts are being molded now, but not all are complete. The exhaust is being re-worked now. All of this came from a fellow GPMA'er. I already have one on order from Stradasports. When I hear from Kevin about it shipping, I will let everyone know. Also, when it gets here, I'll do a review on it.

Nic

Hello Nic,

Sorry for hijacking my own thread but are you Nic Henson from the HHMB? I'm also following the Audi R10 thread and I thought it could be you. Was it you that designed some of the C5R aftermarket parts? If so, did you ever finished the C5R? I have all those parts to do Earnhardt's 2001 Daytona C5R.

If you are not, Hello anyways B)

Thanks,