Model Cars Magazine Forum

would love to see pics of "can painted" models

I am color blind (literally), but that first one with the Mirage flip flop looks red to me (and black).

Alyn, when i saw the post, i thought you meant the 'top' color.. didn't know about yer 'condition'..bet it makes some 'fun' color combo's!!!

the top color is the Magenta/Gold, the 2nd is the Red/Blue and the 3dr is the Purple/Green on the black...

forgot to credit 'Bondo' Ken Brickerll [sp?] with the graffix...

Edited by weasel

Alyn, when i saw the post, i thought you meant the 'top' color.. didn't know about yer 'condition'..bet it makes some 'fun' color combo's!!!

the top color is the Magenta/Gold, the 2nd is the Red/Blue and the 3dr is the Purple/Green on the black...

forgot to credit 'Bondo' Ken Brickerll [sp?] with the graffix...

and guess who used to work in an auto paint shop, mixing and matching paint :o

In any case, that's a great paint job!

• 4 years later...

This topic seems to come up with frequency and I have trouble understanding why.  Air brushes and rattle cans are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.  But with any tool, the magic isn't in the tool it is in the magician and you see the work of some very skilled painters here.  I think of this a little like comparing a sledge hammer to a claw hammer.  Both are hammers.   Both to essentially the same thing.  They both hammer but are different in what they do best. 

Here is my opinion on the discussion:

Rattle can:

Advantages:  Quick and simple to use.  Point and shoot.  With skilled masking and experience they can be effective tools.  I use them when I have a few parts that are all the same color like engine parts.  Easy to clean.  Invert the can to clear the dip tube and wipe the nozzle of with Q-tip and a bit of thinner, done.

Disadvantages: Relatively expensive per ounce of paint.  I find that if I decant the paint and spray it through an air brush it goes almost twice as far.  This is due to a more controlled spray.  Less is lost through over spray.  Also, no matter how you use the can, there will always be paint left that just won't come out.  In my experience it can be as much as an ounce.   It is also much more of a touch thing with a rattle can to get an even coat.  Some cans spray like a fire hose, others put out a fine mist.  They are also much more bulky and hard to get into close quarters when you need it. 

Air Brush: 

Advantages:  Much better control over the spray.  You have the ability to vary the pressure and flow to get exactly the best pattern for the job.  Generally, paint is cheaper.  If you buy it in quarts, the cost per ounce drops dramatically.  You can also control the mix if the paint to solvent,  to get thinner coats for things like fades and more coats as you need them.  At low pressures you get much less over spray and waste less paint but also put the paint exactly where you want it.  You can custom mix paints to get any color or gloss that you may want.  The main advantage of air brushes is that they give you control that you just can't get with a rattle can.

Disadvantages:  Initial cost can be quite high, with the need for a compressor, pressure regulator and moisture trap on top of the cost of the airbrush.  Air brushes can be quite specialized with different nozzles and needles.  It really isn't a one size fits all, though you can buy them with multiple nozzles and needles to do different things.  The on advantage that an air brush gives you can all be very intimidating to the uninitiated.  What I mean is that you have so many variables that you as a painter can control, combining them to get the outcome you want can be intimidating.  Thinning rates, air pressure, needle and nozzle size can be frustrating to those who are not willing to pay attention to them.  Airbrushes require cleaning and maintenance. Like any tool, if it is not maintained, you can have issues.  They are a precision instrument and require disassembly, cleaning and lubrication to work properly.  Cleaning is critical.  If you are spraying white and a little flake of paint left over from a different color comes out of the gun, I will pretty much guarantee it will land in the middle of a highly visible panel. 

I own and use four different airbrushes.  I also have hundreds of rattle cans.  Over the years, I have developed my own procedures for using both and do so on every build I ever do. I never build a model exclusively with an air brush or rattle can.  The point is, no matter what you use, you must commit to learning how best to use it and when best to use it. 

I will leave you with one final thought.  Although rattle cans are a useful tool, I know that I can use a airbrush to do things that just can't be done with a rattle can such as very fine lines and light weathering.  A proper airbrush will do everything a rattle can will, but a rattle can will not do everything an airbrush can. 

Use your tools well!

This topic seems to come up with frequency and I have trouble understanding why.  Air brushes and rattle cans are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.  But with any tool, the magic isn't in the tool it is in the magician and you see the work of some very skilled painters here.  I think of this a little like comparing a sledge hammer to a claw hammer.  Both are hammers.   Both to essentially the same thing.  They both hammer but are different in what they do best. 

Here is my opinion on the discussion:

Rattle can:

Advantages:  Quick and simple to use.  Point and shoot.  With skilled masking and experience they can be effective tools.  I use them when I have a few parts that are all the same color like engine parts.  Easy to clean.  Invert the can to clear the dip tube and wipe the nozzle of with Q-tip and a bit of thinner, done.

Disadvantages: Relatively expensive per ounce of paint.  I find that if I decant the paint and spray it through an air brush it goes almost twice as far.  This is due to a more controlled spray.  Less is lost through over spray.  Also, no matter how you use the can, there will always be paint left that just won't come out.  In my experience it can be as much as an ounce.   It is also much more of a touch thing with a rattle can to get an even coat.  Some cans spray like a fire hose, others put out a fine mist.  They are also much more bulky and hard to get into close quarters when you need it. 

Air Brush: 

Advantages:  Much better control over the spray.  You have the ability to vary the pressure and flow to get exactly the best pattern for the job.  Generally, paint is cheaper.  If you buy it in quarts, the cost per ounce drops dramatically.  You can also control the mix if the paint to solvent,  to get thinner coats for things like fades and more coats as you need them.  At low pressures you get much less over spray and waste less paint but also put the paint exactly where you want it.  You can custom mix paints to get any color or gloss that you may want.  The main advantage of air brushes is that they give you control that you just can't get with a rattle can.

Disadvantages:  Initial cost can be quite high, with the need for a compressor, pressure regulator and moisture trap on top of the cost of the airbrush.  Air brushes can be quite specialized with different nozzles and needles.  It really isn't a one size fits all, though you can buy them with multiple nozzles and needles to do different things.  The on advantage that an air brush gives you can all be very intimidating to the uninitiated.  What I mean is that you have so many variables that you as a painter can control, combining them to get the outcome you want can be intimidating.  Thinning rates, air pressure, needle and nozzle size can be frustrating to those who are not willing to pay attention to them.  Airbrushes require cleaning and maintenance. Like any tool, if it is not maintained, you can have issues.  They are a precision instrument and require disassembly, cleaning and lubrication to work properly.  Cleaning is critical.  If you are spraying white and a little flake of paint left over from a different color comes out of the gun, I will pretty much guarantee it will land in the middle of a highly visible panel. 

I own and use four different airbrushes.  I also have hundreds of rattle cans.  Over the years, I have developed my own procedures for using both and do so on every build I ever do. I never build a model exclusively with an air brush or rattle can.  The point is, no matter what you use, you must commit to learning how best to use it and when best to use it. 

I will leave you with one final thought.  Although rattle cans are a useful tool, I know that I can use a airbrush to do things that just can't be done with a rattle can such as very fine lines and light weathering.  A proper airbrush will do everything a rattle can will, but a rattle can will not do everything an airbrush can. 

Use your tools well!

Can't disagree with any of that.

I use both cans & airbrush as well.

Just depends on the situation.

Steve

This topic seems to come up with frequency and I have trouble understanding why. 

I'm pretty sure the WHY is that a lot of folks are of the opinion you just can't do first-rate work with rattlecans.

Not EVERY modeler has gotten the word yet that it's not so much the tool as it is the technique (yeah, ain't that the truth) that sets the better work apart from just showing up.

It's always helpful to the less-experienced to show examples of WHY it's not necessary to go out and buy hundreds of dollars of special tools to get results you can be very proud of.

I've got more than a few model-car miles under my belt, and I'm STILL humbled and inspired when I see the work of builders like Harry P and Steve G.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm pretty sure the WHY is that a lot of folks are of the opinion you just can't do first-rate work with rattlecans.

Not EVERY modeler has gotten the word yet that it's not so much the tool as it is the technique (yeah, ain't that the truth) that sets the better work apart from just showing up.

It's always helpful to the less-experienced to show examples of WHY it's not necessary to go out and buy hundreds of dollars of special tools to get results you can be very proud of.

I've got more than a few model-car miles under my belt, and I'm STILL humbled and inspired when I see the work of builders like Harry P and Steve G.  :D

Bill, I think most of us older modelers started out with either brush and bottle or rattle cans.  My first airbrush was an old blue plastic Badger with aerosol cans of air.  It was crude but for flat aircraft finished it was da' bomb.  I've been through several other cheap airbrushes(Aztek comes to mind) over the years and I think you are like me, as your skill improves, you come to understand the need for better tools.    I once explained my purchase of tools(woodworking and otherwise)to my wife, that I am capable of building a house with a Swiss army knife, the question was, why would I want to?  An air brush is part of that.  If someone wants to progress, at some point an air brush will be the tool to take paint to the next level.  When that happens is up to the individual. 

I have also learned that doing things the hard way, helps you understand how to handle a quality tool properly.  I would never suggest that a beginner drop a grand on air bush and accessories to start with.  You have to understand paint to get the best out of any airbrush and you get that by experience.  Rattle cans are a part of that experience. 

Budget and desire become another issue.  Not everyone wants or needs to do the things an airbrush is capable of.  I sometimes forget that in my personal drive to improve what I do.  I am driven by getting to a higher skill level in this hobby, but that is just me.  I am also lucky to be a point in my life that I have the disposable income to do these things.  When you have tiny mouths to feed, hobby never comes first! 

Make the best of what brings you happiness.

I did this one with duplicolour cans. The roof was done with red and gold dust coats, followed by the black which was sprayed on the sides of the body to get the fade effect then a piece of lace was laid on the roof and a further dust coat of black was sprayed over and the lace removed immediately after that.

DSC02107_zpsehpjprzy.jpgDSC02117_zps4aw2ee2v.jpg

There is always a next level!  You just have to seek it out.  By the way I think even Harry will admit, there is no such thing as a perfect paint job!;)

Agreed, there is no perfect paint job, But for the purpose of painting a model car, harry does quite alright with a simple spray can.

My point was, an air brush is not necessarily the only avenue to progress.

Steve