Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model kit prices

I am 45 i just got back into modeling 2 yrs ago I statred when i was 8yrs old .Me and my dad would go in a old store called woolworths dont know if anyone heard of this??And k-mart also !But they carried all the amt kits for $10.00 or under.Well i had collected all theses kits some were un-painted until i got older and a hold of a paint can then advanced to the minature spray gun ! I had every amt kit and revell kit and the monogram 1/16 series when i moved alot of them were losing parts and i threw them all in the garbage !!SMACK i could kick myself int the now for what i see these kits for on evil bay I even had all the monogram 1/32 pete and kw models and the amt 1/43 models i just threw them all in the garbage. The only place close to me that carries any model semi trucks is Michaels they carry the 359 revell snap kit they ask 25.00 for it which isnt bad compared to evil bay ive seen people tryen to get $200.00 out of them But thats wgy i buy used stuff on evil bay i cant afford to pay over $50.00 a kit i think it is ridiculus what theses kits go for if i have to pay $500.00 for a plastic model i will give this up and buy the real trucks lol

I am 45 i just got back into modeling 2 yrs ago I statred when i was 8yrs old .Me and my dad would go in a old store called woolworths dont know if anyone heard of this??And k-mart also !But they carried all the amt kits for $10.00 or under.Well i had collected all theses kits some were un-painted until i got older and a hold of a paint can then advanced to the minature spray gun ! I had every amt kit and revell kit and the monogram 1/16 series when i moved alot of them were losing parts and i threw them all in the garbage !!SMACK i could kick myself int the now for what i see these kits for on evil bay I even had all the monogram 1/32 pete and kw models and the amt 1/43 models i just threw them all in the garbage. The only place close to me that carries any model semi trucks is Michaels they carry the 359 revell snap kit they ask 25.00 for it which isnt bad compared to evil bay ive seen people tryen to get $200.00 out of them But thats wgy i buy used stuff on evil bay i cant afford to pay over $50.00 a kit i think it is ridiculus what theses kits go for if i have to pay $500.00 for a plastic model i will give this up and buy the real trucks lol

AGREED! I can wait to see who reproduces something next. Like the 1/16 scale Pete 359. I got one for my birthday when I was a kid..(now 44), and now it will be available. My local Hobby guy already has my order and will set it aside when it comes in. It's just a matter of time before most of them come back.

I used three of the 40% off coupons (easily found online) from Hobby Lobby and bought the White Road Boss, the Diamond Reo, and the White Freightliner Duel Drive Tractor (each has to be a separate purchase, of course), which works out to about $22.00 each. Not such a bad deal, all things considered...The Freightliner and the Road Boss are currently in stock at most Hobby Lobbys.

Edited by a6m5zerosen

Woolworth's.....ah yeah I remember buying my kits from there and I also remember the winter of '76 they had a bargain bin full of discontinued kits and older annuals for something like $2.00-$3.00...I remember my first semi I built came from a local hobby story,it was the GMC Astro,I paid $12.00 for it and my dad paid the tax on it because it bucks was all I had and I thought that was high then.....

Woolworth's.....ah yeah I remember buying my kits from there and I also remember the winter of '76 they had a bargain bin full of discontinued kits and older annuals for something like $2.00-$3.00...I remember my first semi I built came from a local hobby story,it was the GMC Astro,I paid $12.00 for it and my dad paid the tax on it because it bucks was all I had and I thought that was high then.....

That is a neat story. I'm glad for you that your dad was supportive of your hobby!