Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 10.5 camaro project

thumper86

Ok so I'm doing this camaro and seen something really cool that I want to do too this camaro and I'm looking for the best resin turbo out there with the best detail possible. Does anybody know of anyone making a VERY detailed turbo being made right now ?

017-10.jpg

014-13.jpg

Heres the set-up I am going to do. Any help would be very helpful ty.

hrdp_0905_04_z1993_ford_mustang_LXrear_mount_turbos.jpg

turbo-4.jpg

I love the ideal of them in the trunk LOL.I saw it on yellowbullet long time ago and dismissed it but I think for this camaro it would work. But instead of doing the holes in the quarter like he did on the Mustang I'm thinking of putting the air intakes in the trunk lid .

can someone explain how plumbing the turbos as far away from the exhaust manifold and intake manifold was ever a good idea performance-wise? I'm serious.....am I missing something here? Seems incredibly inefficient....added weight of a sealed system able to withstand the boost pressures. I would understand (sort-of) if it was some sort of "sleeper" street vehicle, with a standard hood profile etc....perhaps that's why the racer went back to a standard configuration....but honestly, I know drag racing is about innovation, but this seems like you're behind the 8-ball before you even start...my guess is that the engineer assumed the added pipe would act like a resevoir to store pressure....perhaps slightly eliminating the dreaded turbo-lag....like I said, anyone know? I am seriously curious....

can someone explain how plumbing the turbos as far away from the exhaust manifold and intake manifold was ever a good idea performance-wise? I'm serious.....am I missing something here? Seems incredibly inefficient....added weight of a sealed system able to withstand the boost pressures. I would understand (sort-of) if it was some sort of "sleeper" street vehicle, with a standard hood profile etc....perhaps that's why the racer went back to a standard configuration....but honestly, I know drag racing is about innovation, but this seems like you're behind the 8-ball before you even start...my guess is that the engineer assumed the added pipe would act like a resevoir to store pressure....perhaps slightly eliminating the dreaded turbo-lag....like I said, anyone know? I am seriously curious....

I can see where your coming from. I would think the same thing but being as it's a model and not the real thing I love to build things a bit different .Makes the Hobbie fun to do.

honest, not picking....I can see the "real car" posted, and someone obviously spent the money and time to try it....I am at a loss as to why, and was hoping someone could share the "why" with me....only way we learn is to ask when we don't know ;)

i believe the object of putting the turbos in the trunk was weight. the turbos in the nose were making it difficult ro get the cars to hook. since they already have an abundance of unusable power. the experiment was to put the weight, of the twin turbos, in the back of the car.

This is a very cool project i like the tubo's in the trunk area, there maybe several reasons for putting them in the trunk far away from the engine (i am just guessing here not an expert) heat may be one issue the further away from the exhaust manifold or headers reduces the heat going into the turbo's and you also keep the heat from the turbo's out of the engine compartment, this may also move some weight over the rear wheels aiding traction, one other small thing no holes cut in the front of the car for the tubo's messing with the aero on the car, space may also be a problem that's a lot of plumbing to put under the hood. I will keep watching very cool project.

Edited by rv1963