Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Technical' Warfare

ZombieHunter26

Thanks to Olskoolrodder, I'll be able to start work on the next technical very soon.

This time around, I will do more in-depth posts with better step-by-step pics (don't worry, I won't post -every- step, just the basics and the stuff I modify) that way you all can get a better idea of how i do my builds.

Thanks again to Olskoolrodder!

I'm looking into the Toyotas that MIG PRODUCTIONS sells but they are in 1/35th scale. I might be able to use those as a guide for the rear weapons.

You can still build the 1:35, if you want- as long as you take some time to build the top half of the engine (since they already come with the bottom half molded :P )

I can't wait to start seeing the stuff you guys come up with :D

Cranky, that recoilless looks like a pretty simple affair to do with styrene tube and stuff from the junk box... i've built a couple of .30 cals from scratch to play with... tell ya what; drilling cooling holes in those barrel jackets is teeeedious.

There is a company that produces PE barrel jackets in 1/35th scale. You have to roll them into a cylinder, then mount them. I took one look at those and just shook my head no.

G

Getting the Syclone kit on Wednesday, but unfortunately I will be out of town for work training Monday til possibly Saturday- and I can't very well pack up my bench and take it with me to my hotel :P

Thanks again to Olskoolrodder for sending that kit to me.

Any progress from anyone? It's been a bit quiet for a day or two :P

Ok so my internet is down so posting photos is unable to happen til further notice...

But I have gotten some progress on the gmc done. Pretty much fully built, just waiting until I get the weapon built and the finishing touches on the weathering.

...anyone else got something done to share?

It's been a few days, and we finally got internet back up- I'll be taking pictures this weekend when I'm off again. My dad moved one of the sheds in the back yard so I've got a real nice dirt plot photo op I can stick some scenery in and take some pics of the new Syclone build and the other two technicals in "action". unfortunately, it won't looks as realistic, seeing as how there's no figures in them. :mellow:

Ok so No pictures just yet, but I do have a quick update.

I went with a WW3 approach on the Syclone technical- the drivers are some good ol' boys from the south, who decided to join the fight and defend their land from the enemy forces. The basic Idea is a converted farm work truck- it will still have some tools and whatnot laying in the bed, as well as a bench for the gunner that was built using "redneck ingenuity". It is armed with a tripod mounted .50cal MG. I printed up a confederate flag for the "flying colors" on this rig- I'm also in the process of finding some way to scratch some crumpled beer cans, spent .50 casings, and some small arms to lay in the passenger seat of the cab.

...what I wouldn't give for some appropriately themed 1:25 scale figures for this one....

Anywho, I'm also thinking up spray paint "tags" and redneck type stickers/decals for the truck... If anyone's got some ideas, shoot 'em my way!

Another update before bed-

I've got the gun, bench, and flag all painted up and installed, along with the loose tools and spent casings in the bed- Now I'm jst working on figuring out how to scratch up some crumpled beer cans, and working on mapping out some bumper stickers that would be appropriate for the build. I'm scratching myhead on how I'm gonna make the cans look like PBR cans after I make 'em... and I'm also thinking about throwing a grain bag or soil bag somewhere in the back too... this WAS a farm truck at one point, so I'm trying to throw in elements of that as well as make it look believable as a militant vehicle from the deep south.

Toss out some ideas, maybe I'll use 'em!

2012041411_46_18-vi.jpg

2012041411_46_27-vi.jpg

Notice the tools and spent casings in the bed- I'm still working on the ammo box, bumper stickers, spray paint tags, and some farm chemical bags or sand bags.... and the beer cans.

I might also throw in a grenade box somewhere. I've got a Navy Colt revolver and a sawed off 12 gauge scratched up as well, but they're waiting on a paint job before i place them in the truck somewhere.

More progress as it comes!