Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late '80s Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 4dr resin kit available?

I want this car so I can build an accurate "Titanic", the Caddy that James May drove in the Top Gear Southern US Road Trip (Miami to New Orleans). The same one where they were chased by angry rednecks in Alabama lol. I've already got kits to make Clarkson's Chevy Camaro and Hammond's Dodge Ram from but this one will prove a bit tricky :blink:

I want this car so I can build an accurate "Titanic", the Caddy that James May drove in the Top Gear Southern US Road Trip (Miami to New Orleans). The same one where they were chased by angry rednecks in Alabama lol. I've already got kits to make Clarkson's Chevy Camaro and Hammond's Dodge Ram from but this one will prove a bit tricky :blink:

Great diorama idea!

i have a cadillac started by steve goldman...dont know what year & what body it is...but missing link is working on something in a caddy!

With very minor changes it could represent any 80-85 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. Here's where it the project was when I gave it to Kevin.

project05-vi.jpg

Compare013-vi.jpg

Hopefully it will get finished one day. I've always been a fan of the big Caddy's owning quite a few over the years including several RWD Fleetwoods like a '81 Fleetwood Coupe d'Elegance and a Triple black '86 d'Elegance Sedan.

The one I really kick myself for letting go of was my '75 Fleetwood 60 Special with the rare Talisman option package. That was the most elegant Cadillac I ever saw, hopefully I'll find another one someday ......

We didn't build THAT many Talismans Steve. HOPEFULLY you MAY find one that wasn't all used up. Yes, they were BEAUTIFUL cars. Never saw very many on the road, but they sure did stand out. VERY nice car. Probably the prettiest Cadillac we ever built. Sorry to 'jack the thread,'Chell, but ain't too many folks ever HEARD of a Cadillac Talisman Option, much less OWN one.

Edited by george 53

I remember that episode quite well. First time in my life I was ever ashamed to be an American. Not kidding at all. :mellow:

I know what you mean Chuck. I have friends in Alabama and they are some of the nicest and most welcoming people I know (and they aren't anything like the people in that episode). I've heard that the entire "Alabama redneck gas station" scene was pretty much staged, but whether it really happened or not it still makes people that don't live here assume that Americans are nothing but rude, ignorant and stupid. It would be nice if Top Gear UK actually did an episode here in the US that shows that not all Americans are like that.

Once you find an appropriate Cadillac, here are a few other ideas:

1) Paint all three cars with the correct shades of lacquer paint, then use an easily-removed paint to replicate the various slogans they wrote on each other's cars.

2) Find a 1/25 dead cow for Jeremy's Camaro.

3) Use the Tamiya "Friends" figures to replicate May trying to jump start his Caddy.

This was my First car! It had a PIG 307-Y block and couldnt get out of its own way. I later put on fresh paint, did the chrome, zebra carpets...the whole nine. I had 2 15" Kicker L7's, the car was in db Drags. It was stolen...

But I'd love to build one. I ha

The conversion is not that hard. Start with the lowrider kit. It has the correct wheelbase. Just the roof and number of doors are wrong. First step cut the rear section of the roof off.

Picture007-vi.jpg

Then add some filler material and glue the back window frame back on standing more upright like this.

Picture011-vi.jpg

After some primer/bodywork this is what you get......a much more formal and longer roof

Picture012-vi.jpg

Cut out the existing opera window and fill the existing door handle holes.

Picture015-vi.jpg

Add the new door frames and re-scribe the doors and here it is!

Picture019-vi.jpg

And before anyone asks.....I have NO intention of having this cast. I have maybe 5 hours of work into this and around an hour to go to get the body perfect. If I can do it then you can do it. It really wasn't that hard. If you have any questions just ask!

The conversion is not that hard. Start with the lowrider kit. It has the correct wheelbase. Just the roof and number of doors are wrong. First step cut the rear section of the roof off.

Picture007-vi.jpg

Then add some filler material and glue the back window frame back on standing more upright like this.

Picture011-vi.jpg

After some primer/bodywork this is what you get......a much more formal and longer roof

Picture012-vi.jpg

Cut out the existing opera window and fill the existing door handle holes.

Picture015-vi.jpg

Add the new door frames and re-scribe the doors and here it is!

Picture019-vi.jpg

And before anyone asks.....I have NO intention of having this cast. I have maybe 5 hours of work into this and around an hour to go to get the body perfect. If I can do it then you can do it. It really wasn't that hard. If you have any questions just ask!

Anyone know what year the Lowrider represents? Looking to do a conversion of a 76 Cadillac ambulance and can't see buying two Modelhaus resin Caddy's only to cut them up...

1976copy.jpg

Thanks.

Anyone know what year the Lowrider represents? Looking to do a conversion of a 76 Cadillac ambulance and can't see buying two Modelhaus resin Caddy's only to cut them up...

Thanks.

The Revell Lowrider custom is an '80-84 style Coupe de Ville w/ 90-92 style Brougham headlights, etc and side trim. Nothing like the '76.

Edited by Rob Hall