Model Cars Magazine Forum

beat up bug.

Steven7319

Excellent work, this does not look like a first attempt. :D The only suggestions would be the wheels look too clean. Also, I believe thestock wheels would be silver, maybe mismatch them? Also the running boards are metal covered with rubber skin. Maybe sand them smooth, paint them rusty, then recover with ripped masking tape or other material to represent the ripped rubber.

Hi Steven, I like everythingli about your VW build INCLUDING the wheels and tires. I can see weathering and great scrub marks on them. We used to use a line that went something like "look at that car, the wheels and tires are worth more than the car". I've had and driven old cars that may look as if they have been through a battle but they always had good rubber on them. The title states "beat up" not "junk yard".

Thanks for that. I can see what people are saying regards the wheels and tyres. But to be honest in person they look far more weathered than the photos show for some reason. But like you said its a beat up runner not a junker. Glad you all like it it was great fun to build and paint. Already started my samba bus so I'll get some pics up soon as pos. Thank you all for the comments and I'm really glad I found such a good forum.

• 11 months later...

Welcome to the forum and Wow!. A really great job on weathering. On your Samba, try heating with a hair dryer carefully and gradually work it back into shape. It'll be tougher with all the windows but if your careful it will work. Just don't overheat, a little at a time. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I keep coming back and looking at this one. Maybe it's just that I have a soft spot for rusty Bugs, but I think this is about the most convincing weathered build I've ever seen. Not too much, rust in the right places where the paint would have failed first, holes where the panels would have really held wet debris...just perfect.

Even a little bondo showing through from old repairs, the hubcap in the rear shelf under the window, rust on the underside of the front hood where the paint WAS thin on the real ones...even a slightly greasy looking rear brake drum center where they tended to leak 90W at the retainer nut. Really really perfect.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy