Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've had some people tell me that they think that the '58 Ford was an ugly car, compared to the '57. I happen to like its unique look and style. The Modelhaus made a '58 convertable with skirts, and up top and a full continental kit which I'm hoping to pick up from them at the NNL East next month.

1958 was A M T's first year as a kit maker unto itself . prior to this , AMT had tie-ins with some Revell kits . The revell kits were Multi - piece bodies with a smattering of some custom pieces in mostly 1-32 scale . a couple , El Dorado brougham was 1-25th . So was the Pontiac Club de Mer . Still, A M T introduced the world to a 3-in 1 styling kit . Engines in a few could be successfully used in other kits on the 1960 versions that had engines . All this for 1.39 !!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

Neat...I have an AMT '58 Ford 2dr ht promo in brown and gray....my older brother got it from the dealer when my Dad bought a new '58 Mercury. I was -12 at the time so don't remember that. :)

I've read that AMT did a kit of the '58 Ford, but I've never seen one.

There's a restaurant and brewery in Pigeon Forge Tenn that has a poster that looks just like that on the wall, but it's all Ford station wagons. There's a Mustang station wagon on it. I think it's a 65 model. A friend of mine said he thought there were 2 prototypes made by ford. I looked it up ,but all I could find was that ford did think of it but never persued it. I read that some indvidual built one or two. That would make a nice build. Got me thinking now. Ken

I've always liked that ad! Lots to look at there!

Notice that Lincoln and Continental are shown as separate brands/marques just like Ford and Mercury. That didn't last for long. Starting in '59 things would get a lot more consolidated and simplified.

Jairus, Edsel actually did produce the two-door Roundup wagon as shown in the ad, though it was pretty darn rare. Unfortunately it wasn't available with the cool Bermuda-style pseudo-wood trim like in your terrific concept illustration.

When I was a kid we had a white '58 Ford Del-Rio Ranch Wagon (the fancy tudor) with a red interior and the 300hp 352. It was a very cool car even though I was a little disappointed that my Dad wouldn't get an Edsel.

Later I owned two '58 Fairlane 500s. A Town Sedan with the 300hp 352 and a Club Victoria with the smaller 4V 332. Great cars but seriously prone to rust!

I built AMT's hardtop kit in the same colors as the one I owned, though mine didn't have Cruiser skirts. However it did have the nice "hockey stick" stainless rocker moldings that conveniently covered up the rust!

post-1305-0-69002700-1331924849_thumb.jp

Edited by John Goschke

I have never understood why the big wings back then.

I'm not knocking it as a matter of fact i really like the old cars .

But did they have any purpose other than looks.

None whatsoever. Furthermore, the annual model changes accounted for about a third of the new car prices, i.e. the customers paid a 33% premium just for the fins being a slightly different shape as last year's.

Man, why was everything better and nicer in them good old days?

Edited by Junkman

Richard is this the kit you have

ModelKit59FordGalaxie.jpg

Yes Tim, that is the kit that I have. I bought it many years ago, not knowing it was a multi-piece body. I also have a Revell Jaguar XKE kit , and a '48 Lincoln kit that also have the multi-piece bodies. Every time I look thru these kits, thinking that maybe I'll try building them, I just get turned off by the multi-piece assemblies.