Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Starliner, smoothed out *New, brighter pics, in first post*

Ryan S.

My second finished build for the year. It's nice to be wrapping up some of these projects I've had going for a while.

I smoothed out the body, removing the side trim and quarter panel trim and door handle holes and locks for a mild custom look. I lowered the suspension as low as I could get it with the Pegasus wheels and tires I chose and I air bagged the rear end.

Interior is stock with a different steering wheel and a shifter made from a straight pin.

Paint is Rustoleum Satin Claret Wine, polished out to have some shine. BMF used for all the trim, but it fought me and isn't perfect. It seems that the brilliant chrome is thicker than the regular chrome foil.

Thanks for taking a look, questions and comments of course are always welcome.

Finally had some time and some sun this AM and took some new shots that show it off a little better. These are the new sunshine pictures.

DSC_5953.jpg

DSC_5951.jpg

DSC_5948.jpg

DSC_5947.jpg

DSCN4354.jpg

DSCN4351.jpg

DSC_5945.jpg

Edited by Ryan S.

That must've taken some effort to rub out satin paint and end up with that finish! Obviously it was worth it. I love the way that engine turned out, too. If your arms aren't too tired from making that paint shine, pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Any chance we can get a picture of that car outside in the sunlight?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Sorry the pix are so dark. We've had cloudy weather here lately and the lighting wasn't the best, even with the flash on the camera. When we get some sunshine I'll take a few new ones to show it off a little better.

Re. the paint; I really loved this color when I saw it and originally thought about doing it in satin. I tested it on a spoon and with clear coat and I liked the way it looked shiney. I had to paint and strip this one 3 times as I had a bad reaction with clear the first time, a reaction with the primer the second time, and then a primer on primer issue the third time, so I was happy to have a decent paint job the 4th time around.

The problem was some goobers in the paint and sanding the satin finish takes away the satin, so I test polished the hood first and liked the results of the polished paint with out any clear so it was a go from there. I didn't do any wet sanding surprisingly (only on the primer coats). My polishing process was 2 passes with Novus #2, 2 passes with Meguires cleaning wax, a pass with Novus #1 and then after all was buttoned up I polished once more with Pledge cleaning/dusting spray which put a nice sheen on it. A lot of work, yet, but worth it.

As far as the Painters Touch paint went, this dried really quickly, I let it sit for about 5 days before polish and BMF. The down side is that despite trying to do light coats, it built up pretty heavy by the end and I lost some detail on the B pillar details as well as the fender name badging. I was able to dry brush the script on the passenger side, but not the driver side.

I'd love a set of photo etch scripts, but the whole PE set is too much.

Thanks again for looking and commenting!

Cheers!

Thanks again for the comments, all.

Beautiful job Ryan!..I quit trying to use the bright chrome bmf for major foiling for the same reason, I think the reg. chrome is a little more realistic anyway B) B)

I ended up using a little of the regular bmf to finish up with and there's definitely a difference in how the two cut. The bright cuts like it's thicker and eats up blades real quick. I just wish I didn't have 3/4 of a sheet left...oh well.

Edited by Ryan S.