Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Mustang "Hidalgo" updated 9/16/2013 Independant Rear suspension

Darin Bastedo

This is a project I've been wanting to do for a while, and if I get it done in Time I might enter it in the Revell Gearz Contest. It's based on the Revell/Monogram 1970 Boss 429 Mustang But I replaced the 429 Hood with the flat hood from the Boss 302 Kit. I chopped the top 1 scale inch, leaned back the windshield to the same angle as the 2010 Mustangs. The rear fenders have been widened to fit the 23" Pegasus wheels and I'm using 19" wheels up front. I swapped in the from spoiler from a 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500. and used the hood vents and rear taillights from that kit as well.

IMG_3803-vi.jpg

IMG_3804-vi.jpg

IMG_3805-vi.jpg

IMG_3794-vi.jpg

The engine and firewall as well as the radiator shroud was also lifted from the 2008 Shelby GT500...

IMG_3806-vi.jpg

Edited by Darin Bastedo

Really like the bulged quarters, Darin. Looks good! The chop is so subtle that if you hadn't mentioned it, you wouldn't notice it right away. NICE job.

Thanks George. I was trying to go really subtle with the re-styling of the car. I wanted to be able to set it on the table after it's finished and have people say, it looks sleeker, but I don't know why. I thought that since the new mustang is enhanced by the retro touches it has, that if I were to do the opposite, and incorporate the modern design language into the older design it would work also. I calculated that the one inch chop, combined with the new angle of the windshield, would give me close to the same proportion of the original roof, and keep the look the original stylists intended.

:blink:

Those are some very interesting body mod's that You have done Darin.

I like your fender work, very nice! As are the rest of your body changes.

A retro look with todays preformance!

Thank You for sharing

I will be watching

Later

Russ

;)

oh, really dig your avatar!! very Joe Cool!!

B)

Here's the rear end treatment. I grafted in the buckets for the 2010 Shelby taillights, and trimmed the 1970 Mustang Taillight bezels from the rear bumper. I also added details to the valence to mimic the look of the 2010 rear bumper cover. Notice I haven't finished gluing the and filling the cuts in the bodywork. I do that so that while I'm making other mods, the flexing of the body doesn't crack the existing bodywork. now that I'm done cutting I can now finish all the joints.

IMG_3830-vi.jpg

IMG_3829-vi.jpg

IMG_3828-vi.jpg

looking very cool so far, any pics of how and where you cut the roof and rear fenders?

If you look closely on this photo, you will see that I cut a line around the top and sides of the rear window, and took a slice out of the roof. then I cut along the top of the C pillar even with the top of the side window. Then I simply slid the roof back while at the same time carefully bending the a pillars, until I got the angle I wanted. The arch of the cut along with the angle of the windshield gave me the subtle 1" chop I wanted. The rear fenders I cut along the top edge and simply put in spacers to give me the desired width. I determined that by measuring how much of the tire didn't fit in the stock fender, and widened it by that much.

IMG_3805-vi.jpg

Darin can you give us a tutorial on how you did the wide body rear?... it looks like you just cut it along the top of the Quarter panel and pulled it apart and filled it with scrap plastic... but how did you pull it apart to creat a gradual arch in the Quarter without cutting it loose from the front or rear ... Of course I will put in a request that you have this Cast in resin... LOL

Darin can you give us a tutorial on how you did the wide body rear?... it looks like you just cut it along the top of the Quarter panel and pulled it apart and filled it with scrap plastic... but how did you pull it apart to creat a gradual arch in the Quarter without cutting it loose from the front or rear ... Of course I will put in a request that you have this Cast in resin... LOL

you are in luck Dan. I just happen to have an extra 1970 mustang body...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55926