Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty 1968 Roadrunner

Scottnkat

Well, I am starting a new Petty car - I will be trying my hand at the '68 Roadrunner. I will be using the AMT Roadrunner kit:

HemiRR01.jpg

I have yet to decide if I will be doing the black top car or the blue and white car. Here's pics of both:

img003.jpg

1968Whitetopcar.jpg

Heck, if this turns out well, I may end up having to build a second one just so I can have both versions. More to come...

Well, I sanded off the "GTX" logo that was molded onto the fender. Looks like the door handles are staying on this one. Not looking too bad so far...

DSCN0994a.jpg

I started sanding the mold seams and then realized that this car had B pillars - the kit doesn't. Okay, no problem. Time for me to jump in and get something started - we need some B pillars.

So I pulled out some plastic strip and start trimming until I get it just about right.

DSCN0995a.jpg

Then I realize that there's just these little teeny nubs at the ends of the pillars for support - chances are knowing my luck, I would break them a dozen different times. They need better support. So I cut a couple more pieces slightly longer than the first ones:

DSCN0996a.jpg

Yep, these are going to be used to support from the back - it'll give more contact area so less chance of breakage. I glued the "fitted" pieces to the slightly longer ones as so:

DSCN0997a.jpg

Now, I was able to put these in without worrying about them nearly so much. Here's the results:

DSCN0998a.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys. I still have to sand down that trim around the bottom of the body, but the body is getting there.

Jacen, wasn't the off-center "43" only on the white one? Did the others have it, too?

I did get started on the rollcage. Not much done yet, but it does fit so that's a good thing. I got a slight twist in it that I'll need to get out tomorrow. That's it for tonight.

DSCN0999a.jpg

When reviewing the car body, it was found that the B pillars were at the wrong angle - they should be parallel with the wing windows as can be seen in the above photo. This has now been corrected. Also, all of the GTX trim has now been sanded off from the body sides and the wheel wells. This is starting to look more like it should now.

DSCN1001a.jpg

The rollcage is coming along. We're not done yet, but it is starting to take shape now.

DSCN1010a.jpg

I can't be sure, but it seems that they still had the door panels on the inside of the car at this time. So I figured that I would use them. I sanded off the armrests from the interior doors. There's still some more work to be done on these doors to make them flat, but we're getting there. The only thing that should be on here are the window cranks (if I am wrong, please let me knpw).

DSCN1011a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

According to a Maurice Petty article I read years ago on their 68 Daytona RR, it was their most cheated up car he ever built. Something about channeling the front end and filling in all the air cheating on the undercarriage. It just looked wierd compared to the one driven by Darel Darringer.

well, no pics yet, but I can tell ya what I have been doing. You see, there's this neat pic of Maurice with the engine from '68...

67Hemi.jpg

There's a couple of interesting things about this pic. First, note the orange oil pan. But the thing that got me was the old "bathtub" intake manifold. I searched all my kits but cannot find this manifold. So, I have been trying to make one from scratch. On a somewhat related note, I've also been scratch-building a fuel cell as the molded on gas tank aint gonna cut it. Maybe I can get some pics up tomorrow when I actually have something to show for the work.

For those wondering about the number on the roof, here is a picture I found on the Richard Petty Fan forum. Never seen a picture of this car until recently when doing research for my own Petty Model collection that I want to start.

1968Firecracker400whitetopcar.jpg

By the way Scott, love your builds and will be following this one as well.

Edited by jjsipes

Not much of an update, but I wanted to let you all know that I was still busy on the Petty car.

I started working on the fuel cell that will replace the kit's molded in gas tank - it's still kind rough, but at least you can get an idea for what I am going for here:

DSCN1012a.jpg

Also, I am going to have to address the hood. It has "cut outs" on the bottom so you can easily cut a hole in the hood - only problem is that this causes it to be visible (and you can feel it) on the top of the hood - I'm going to have to fill that then sand down the top of the hood to make it smooth between the two "bumps":

DSCN1014a.jpg

Finally, here is a very rough mock up of the intake manifold that I am working on - I know it is really rough, but with a little luck I can make this look much better.

DSCN1015a.jpg

Beyond that, I've just been priming, sanding, priming, sanding, etc.

Well, I started covering the chassis pan. I have left the driveshaft tunnel uncovered. If anyone knows if this should be covered, too, please let me know.

DSCN1016a.jpg

Also, the slits cut into the hood have been filled, so I will (hopefully) start sanding the hood down tomorrow. I was going to primer the body today, but weather is against me, so maybe tomorrow.