Model Cars Magazine Forum

glueing windows what glue to use

Hey Marcus, welcome to this great site. I'm pretty new to all of this as well, but it was recomended to me, to use elmers glue around the window areas. I use a toothpick to apply it to the edges of where I am trying to put the window. I believe Testors makes a glue specifically for window areas, but I have no experiance with it. Hope that helps you out a little bit.

There is a glue called Aileen's Tacky Glue its for crafts. Nice thing is it's like Elmers only thicker. Also it comes in a clear version. Works great for windows. You should be able to locate it in the craft dept. of any store that carries crafts.

All of the reccomendations listed above are great but sometimes the curvature of a window requires a bit more rapid adhesion to get it to sit right. That's when a super glue almost becomes neccessary. Yes, I know, that there is the risk of the super glue fogging or hazing the clear part with a white fog. Easy way around this. If you need to use super glue simply wax the clear part first, front and back. Leave the wax in place. Attach the window with the glue and then wait for it to fully cure, which is when the fogging effect would take place. The wax on the part will not allow the fogging to take place. Leave the part for about 24 hours and then go back and polish out the wax. You end up with a permanently attached window with a nice clearly polished window with no fogging.