Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help! My model car body shrunk in the wash.....

roym

AMT 69 Mustang Mach 1.

Ok, I know this kit is underscale, but do I have the right chassis for this kit?

Sorry about the crappy pics, but I think you can see what I mean.

Floor/chassis, showing wheels (apparently) correctly centered.

carmod008.jpg

Rear wheel as near as centre as I can get, note position of front wheel;

carmod004.jpg

Front wheel sorta centered, can't fit rear tyre, but you can see the position of the hub.

carmod006.jpg

This last shows the floor pan in what I reckon is the correct position, as you can see both wheels are out of place.

carmod003.jpg

I haven't found any fixes online, any ideas?

Cheers,

Roy

I think if this was a serious fault in the kit, I'd have seen it brought up by now and I can't remember anyone bringing this up. The chassis looks primered, is it? Was all the plastic molded in the same color? Was this kit sealed when you got it?

I pulled an AMT '69 Mach 1 to compare and the rear floor pan section is longer on your chassis. Looking at your photo it seems something funny is going on there, as in the faint hint of a splice. All other parts of the chassis looks correct. Maybe I can scan mine and get a photo up, my daughter won't be back with my camera until later this afternoon.

The old MPC Mustang was 26th scale! NOT 25th as we always thought!!! You MAY have the ORIGINAL 69/70 AMT chassis in the box, because the wheel wells are drastically off! ALL the MPC 69/70 Mustangs I have are ALL evenly matched in the wheelhouse area. The 25th scale AMT 69/70 Mustangs ARE 25th scale, so that MAY be where the disparities may be coming in. The extra length of the 25th chassis is probably what may be throwing it off. They LOOK like the original 25th scale chassis. Hth. :)

The old MPC Mustang was 26th scale! NOT 25th as we always thought!!! You MAY have the ORIGINAL 69/70 AMT chassis in the box, because the wheel wells are drastically off! ALL the MPC 69/70 Mustangs I have are ALL evenly matched in the wheelhouse area. The 25th scale AMT 69/70 Mustangs ARE 25th scale, so that MAY be where the disparities may be coming in. The extra length of the 25th chassis is probably what may be throwing it off. They LOOK like the original 25th scale chassis. Hth. :)

But his chassis is longer than my 1/25th AMT.

I bought a reissue of this kit a few years back and had the same problem.It looks like at some point Ertl had trashcanned the original chassis and replaced it with the '66 Coupe kit chassis, or something similar. I ended up robbing a few choice pieces from it and giving away the rest to another local modeler. Shortening the chassis wouldn't be a huge ordeal if you wanted to build the kit. It actually has better body proportions (especially the grille area) than the Monogram kits, but pity its underscale!

Hi lads,

I thought I probably had the wrong chassis, and yes it looks spliced.

This is the kit in question;

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/amt-8/amt-1969-ford-musta-1/

I suspect I have the chassis from this;

http://public.fotki.com/TOYOTA2000GT/meine-baustzemy-kits/amt-73-ford-mustang-1-25.html

Anyway, it's AMT, not MPC. Or was it an MPC in a past life?

The kit was bought intact in a hobby shop in West Virginia nearly 7 years ago, so returning it is not an option. I'm not too worried about it as I've just got a Revell (Monogram) Boss 429 which fills in that body shape in my collection of first generation Mustang kits. (Even though that kit has problems of it's own, are those rear lights correct?)

All I need then is the 73 shape kit above to finish the collection, but I gather that's not right either.

Plowboy, I'll gladly take the offer of the correct chassis if you can accept paypal for payment of shipping (I'm in Ireland) but looking at the size of the wheels in comparison to the body I'm wondering if it's worth the bother. Anyway, thanks again all.