Model Cars Magazine Forum

Correct chassis to use to build a nostalgia funny car

really depends on the car....late 70's, a number of chassis builders were "hot"....Sarte was one of my favs......and the Plymouth Arrow bodies funnycar is also one of my favs! So many teams used the body....so really curious who you're thinking of building (plus, that would answer your question on what chassis to build).....Beadle's Blue Max? Snake's Army F/C? Ace's Super Shops? Snow's Snowman?

really depends on the car....late 70's, a number of chassis builders were "hot"....Sarte was one of my favs......and the Plymouth Arrow bodies funnycar is also one of my favs! So many teams used the body....so really curious who you're thinking of building (plus, that would answer your question on what chassis to build).....Beadle's Blue Max? Snake's Army F/C? Ace's Super Shops? Snow's Snowman?

Snake's Army car. Notice straight front axle. It is a Sarte car

http://www.snakeraci...-army-arrow.asp

Put cursor near edge of pics it will scroll over, lots more than show up on opening page.

tb

Edited by tbusch

Back in 78 I had the opportunity to crew on an BB/FC. That chassie was a Spitzer and common to the times It had a trailing front axle [ behind fuel tank]. The axle was streight , from spindle to spindle and solid mounted to the top chassie rail using triagular shaped brackets. Tha roll cage was only a four point as NHRA hadnt mandated six point cages yet. You could use the Monogram- late Revell chassie,and remove the two center roll cage bars. you would need to scratch build the front axle, it would mount where the the kits suspension would normally mount. I made my axle the same length as the kis tie rod assm. so I could use kit parts and save scratch building these items. Hope this helps

post-7796-0-93112500-1333373088_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-07748600-1333373113_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-13470900-1333373130_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-33309200-1333373147_thumb.jp

i have the same question about f.c. chassis.mooneyzs awesome build has me wanting to build my 1/25 scale prudhomme army monza but i cant find pics of the chassis.is it like the arrow chassis or is it different.ive also seen pics of the monza with different injector hats.what hat is correct?.......will the chassis from the revell blue max work....if its like the arrow i could modell it after mooneyzs.

I did some research and found the May 75 issue of Super Stock and Drag Illistrated magazine shows a photo of Prudhommes Monza with the body off and the motor being installed. It appears the proper chassie to start with is the Monogram style that came in the Olds, Firebird, Avenger, kits. The front axle is behind the fuel tank and the axle is solidly mounted across top frame rails, this photo also shows a 6 point cage. the fire bottles and front weight are just like the Monogram kit. The color centerfold show a typicle 3 hole Injector, But the 76 and 77 Monzas ran a Crower injector. The Monogram kits slick also fill the huge rear wheel openings of the Revell body. you will need to modify the Monogram tin work to fit, But the Revell Monza body frame work fits the Monogran frame perfectly. heres another shot of my Bonin Monza.

post-7796-0-54419700-1333452889_thumb.jp

thank you.that is going to help alot.imm not sure what kits you are talking about.does it have to be a monogram kit only or is it a revell monogram kit.what year ect............sorry i dont know my kits if you could just give me the name of a few kits that have the correct chassis that would help me alot....thanks.................ps why does the 1/25 scale monza d.p. kit come with the wrong chassis?

Edited by lou s

Yes, the Revell-Monogram kits will work an they can usually be found cheap on e bay as lots of them were made. the kits would include... McDonalds Olds, Tom Mcewens 57 Chevy F/C, Billy Meyer 7-11 Mustang, Ed McCullochs Miller Beer Olds , Jim Dunns Mooneyes Avenger, Randy Andersons Parts America Firebird, Basically any mid 80's body style Funny Car kit...

If my memory serves me correctly, the original Revell Funny cars were paterned off Gene Snows 72 Charger Funny Car, In an effort to get the most bang for the buck, this became the generic chassie under all their funny cars. They just molded different bodies and interior tin to fit the same chassie. the Monza body was used to extend the mold life. The Monza had a couple unique items to note, the headers in this kit are longer than the other F/C kits and the body brace is tubular instead of an flat panel in other kits.