Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Clubs in North Carolina?

There was the Road Knights here in Charlotte, not sure if they are still around. They met out near the racetrack but have not heard much from them the last 2 years.

The Carolina Kustom Modelers (CKM) are up near Kernersville and they put on a nice show every August, they are the only other club that I am aware of near Charlotte.

Road Knights........I am a founding member of the club. We had a HUGE group at one time. I moved away in 2003 so I am not sure of the status today....but a friend said he went to a meeting not long ago but they seem to be down to less than 10 members. The Road Knights put on two shows that I do not feel have ever been eclipsed. The 1990 show at the Charlotte Hilton which had NASCAR show tours, a Holman & Moody tour, NASCAR drivers and Bud Anderson, the Kat from AMT in attendance. If you want to see the national TV coverage we got it here.......

Then in 1993 the Road Knights club held another huge model show. We took over 2 floors of the tower at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We had a whole floor for just models and another just for vendors. We had a number of NASCAR drivers on hand, bus tours of the race track. Tours of race shops......and for a few dollars you got a ride in a two seat NASCAR Cup car on the track at speed!!

So the Charlotte area has had a great club. Ask around at the hobby shops. I think the HobbyTown in Pineville may have info....contact them. Sorry for the trip down memory lane!!!

great video and i would like to breath some younger new life into the club, I'll see if i can't get a few friends together and see if we can find out about this Charlotte club

that video seems like what i remember NASCAR being as a kid...they don't even run sanctioned events at Rockingham anymore!

Edited by drpndstroy

great video and i would like to breath some younger new life into the club, I'll see if i can't get a few friends together and see if we can find out about this Charlotte club

that video seems like what i remember NASCAR being as a kid...they don't even run sanctioned events at Rockingham anymore!

Kirt,

Let me know what you find out about the club, I would be willing to attend meetings when my schedule allows.

As far as "The Rock", they will have a NASCAR sanctioned event this year, a Truck race this Spring ! Andy Hillenburg has worked hard to get that place back to it's glory and hopefully someday they will race Sprint or Nationwide cars there!

Thanks to Dave for the info, hopefully the club can be saved!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, that was a trip down memory lane!! Thanks for posting up that video. I was at those shows and it just seems like yesterday... Loved seeing the footage of Bruce! Back in the day, the Road Knights definitely had it going on. We even had outdoor events under a tent at Carowinds! I was a member back in the late 80's thru the early 90's. I did a stint as the newsletter editor for a couple of years back before we had computers at home... LOL! Got married and fell away from the hobby until about 3 years ago. Since I have been back in, there is not much to offer in this area. At least from a car modeler standpoint. There are a few IPMS type groups around here but the only car based club is the CKM gang. Thank goodness we have the Internet!!

Kirt, definitely keep us posted. I wouldn't mind traveling up from South Carolina to attend a car modeling group. I still see a lot of old Road Knight members at the local shows. I believe that there is definitely enough of a base to get something started again if not bring the Road Knights back to life.

http://public.fotki.com/KMidd65/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The South Carolina Modelers Assn has a chapter in Rock Hill about 25 miles south of Charlotte. Heres a link to info ... http://www.scmodeler...m/RockHill.html

This group just put on a great show and swap meet in Simpsonville SC 2 weeks ago. I had a table in the swap meet area and met some great people and sold quite a few kits.

I will be sending in my membership and dues and look forward to being a part of this club.

Right in your area is Mid-Carolina Modelers, who put on a show in February:

Mid-Carolina Modelers of Salisbury

Contact Allen Hilton

(704) 856-1718

Slightly farther away, there's Foothills Plastic Pros in the Newton-Conover-Hickory area. They put on a show in September, if I recall correctly.

Right in your area is Mid-Carolina Modelers, who put on a show in February:

Mid-Carolina Modelers of Salisbury

Contact Allen Hilton

(704) 856-1718

Slightly farther away, there's Foothills Plastic Pros in the Newton-Conover-Hickory area. They put on a show in September, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the information, I have been to these shows in the past but haven't made it the last 2 years due to schedule conflicts. The SCMA branch in Rock Hill is actually closer to me than the two you mention (30 minutes vs, 75 minutes).

Hopefully more can be done to resurrect the Road Knights here in Charlotte.