Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Sleeper Chevelle

W-409

This is my new project, what have been interesting for a long time, but no progress has been made. But finally I got some Mr.Muscle to remove paint from the body, chassis, hood and the engine block. Interior tube is still in that liquid. So the plan is to make '67 Chevelle Street/Race car what looks as original as possible. But it needs to have power under the hood... Chevy 454 CID. will be under the hood with two turbochargers and fuel injection system. The hood will be original, no scoop or anything like that.

I started the build when I got the basis for this project from "ChevyCoupe41", glue bomb, but in good shape. Paint left off easily, and there wasn't too much glue used. First I mocked up the wheels and tires before removing the paint. Rear slicks are 9" wide, and they have steelie wheels with Dog Dish Hubcaps, in the front we have Good Year FrontRunners and steelie wheels with hubcaps. Both steelies are resin, and cast by Marko Piironen. I opened those holes from rear wheels with little sanding. Next they need some paint. The engine didn't care about the paint stripping, because paint or glue didn't left off from it. Well, then I must sand everything manually.

There's lots of work to do, and I hope you enjoy following this WIP topic. :D

This is the basis for the build-rolling '67 Chevelle.

P1280091.jpg

P1280095.jpg

P1280097.jpg

Here I took it apart....

P1290121.jpg

The Wheels And Tires:

P1290125.jpg

(Hubcaps are not perfectly on their place, that picture was just taken as a little Mock Up) ;)

Part two coming within few minutes.

Thanks Guys!

Yeah, no pressures. :lol: This is worth saving, and Sleeper is so interesting idea, that I hope this turns out very good.

I've been building about six hours today without big breaks, and I worked with the Chevelle too. Engine is now ready to be primered, I'm going to primer it tomorrow. Lots of sanding was needed to make it look good enough, everything will be hidden under turbo systems anyway. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Doctor and Romell!

I'm done with the Bug and Austin, so it's time to get back on these builds without Deadlines too. I painted Chevelle's engine block once, but it maybe needs some more paint before I can call it done.

P4010078.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got any cylinder heads yet, but I'm getting closer of having those resin casted.

Anyway, today I was able to get that interior tube out from Mr.Muscle, and it turned out pretty good. However, this interior tube doesn't have back seat, so I will fit one from my parts box there. I'm not sure, where is that seat from, but it sits pretty good. Needs to add some material on the rear... Front seats are from AMT '66 Nova ProStreet, and they fit nicely on this interior.

P4120007.jpg

P4120008.jpg

P4120009.jpg

Thanks Both, '67 Impala Sleeper would be very cool too. AMT kit would offer a great basis for the build, since it's very good quality.

The backseat is fitted bit better, you can see the difference if you compare these pictures to those on that last update. I also filled that little "hole" on the seat with styrene. Next I need to paint that interior.

P4130033.jpg

P4130034.jpg

P4130035.jpg

Looks really nice , i have a 67 that is similar . Am going with the "day 2" look with steelies in back on slicks

with 5 spokes on the front. i will have to post a thread on it sometime. Can't wait to see this one done

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Both! Michael's build will be very interesting too ;) .

Cylinder Heads are resin castings by me, and intake manifold & that fuel injection system are from Revell's '37 Ford. It's not fitting under the hood now, but I need to make it bit lower. Also you can see that headers are not going to fit, so I must modify those inner fenders a bit. Made those Turbos too, but they need lots of work before I can install them.

P5010205.jpg

P5010206.jpg

Thanks, Matti :) !

Some more done with the Chevelle. I removed part of those inner fenders from the front end. Now headers fit, they are built from solder, as those Turbos too. But the engine is so huge that headers can't go between frame rails, and that's why engine needs to sit bit higher. Because of that, I sanded intake manifold thinner as it was, so it would be lower. But that wasn't enough so I lowered those tubes between the manifold and the Fuel Injection system. Now that fits under the hood, and turbos fit there too. Plug Wires are installed too. Next steps are exhaust pipes and rest of those turbo tubings.

P5010226.jpg

P5010229.jpg

P5010230.jpg

P5010231.jpg

Thanx Scott! B)

More work done with the Chevelle, I built tubings from Turbochargers to the Fuel Injection system, and added air cleaners. They need some paint before I can call them done though. I also cut some material off from the front end of that engine bay, to make bit more space for the turbos. Continued that hood also, I added that little "high spot" from metal wire. Next I need to add some bondo.

P5020234.jpg

P5020235.jpg

P5020237.jpg

P5020238.jpg

• 1 month later...

Heh, there are many WIP threads, since I have bit over 50 projects, and I'm trying to share those most interesting ones with you guys. ;)

Progress has been slow, but today I managed to solve my fit issue. Hood didn't fit nicely, and today I trimmed a little material off from the frame, so engine sits a bit lower now and everything fits under the hood. Next I have to build a bracket for the alternator, and belt too.

P6170273.jpg

P6170274.jpg

Your project looks cool I like the idea.I did notice one flaw your intake don't fit right you are using a small block intake on a big block the ports don't line up nor does the intake fill up the valley.Other then that it looks amazing and like I said I like the idea keep up the good work.

Thanks, Bryan and Thom!

That intake manifold is still in progress. Now when I'm sure that everything fits under the hood, I can do lots of finishing for that Big Block and then for example, the manifold will get some work to make it look right. :D