Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Sleeper Chevelle

W-409

I've made some progress for the Chevelle too. New Belt Pullies are from my parts box, alternator too and new engine drive belt is made from paper. I also fabricated alternator bracket out of beer can aluminium. Then I built Turbo Wastegates. They are not so great as they could be, but just enough for me: They can't be seen well from finished build, only little part of them will be visible.

I have built some chassis too, no pics yet but I can say that rear axle is almost there. Only thing I need to do for it, is little narrowing, since now tires don't fit nicely inside rear fenders, but when I take few millimeters off from the rear axle, everything will be all right, I guess. Of course I don't know what needs to be done for the front end...

P6190275.jpg

P6260012.jpg

• 2 months later...

I had bit problems with the rear wheels and tires. They didn't fit inside the wheel wells nicely, I had to narrow the rear end a bit. Now everything fits Ok in the rear... Well then to the front. I test fitted everything to see how tires fit. Front tires need some spacers, since they are too deep inside the body. Otherwise I'm very happy about how it looks right now.

P9080451.jpg

P9080453.jpg

P9080452.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have finally made some progress with the Sleeper Chevelle. I was able to paint the wheels yesterday, they are painted with Revell's Gloss Black. I also installed those Dog Dish Hubcaps, and they look really good to me. Also I made spacers to the front tires and now they fit nicely. I also found out, that engine does not fit under the hood without some modifications to the front axle system... It is kicking back all the time with those little things, but needs to start cutting again.

Here is little test fit of the front tires. This will be on local Model Car Show's "Primer Table" on Saturday in this condition.

PB010197.jpg

PB010200.jpg

PB010203.jpg

PB010205.jpg

PB010206.jpg

Thanks for the great comments, Matti, Bryan and Brandan!

Yeah, turbos are quite popular. The reason why I decided to use them, is that I wanted to install as powerful engine as I could under the hood without any scoops or anything. :D Personally I prefer Blowers, but this is great change to build one car with turbos too. Headers, exhaust pipes, turbos and all turbo tubings are made from solder. B)

Those turbo systems were not the easiest to do and they're not the best in the world, but I'm sure that they can be built by everyone. And it's much easier to make them from solder, since once glued, they can still be adjusted a little.

Thanks, Nate!

I'm now in situation where I have to start cutting that front axle piece. The engine doesn't fit there otherwise because of that deep oil pan... Once I get that done, there should not be much cutting left in this build. And yeah, I need the stock taillight panel for this one.