Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sprint Car fun!

krazyglu

Hello everyone, I have tried this workbench stuff a few times and this page moves so quick if your not on your game it will get lost quickly :D I have a bit done on the Sprint as I started it at the end of January. I plan on entering this car in a local show, my first time pretty much even being to a model kit show. The category is quite broad, open wheel competition so doubtful I will place, but my goal is to build the best I can and enjoy the whole process. I would like to thank a few people for either helping me or just building wicked stuff on here to inspire me. First off one the coolest people I have never met Mr. Bill Booz(JustBill) who hooked me up with parts and all the knowledge he can cram into his head. Dick(weasel) who says asphalt is for getting to the track, dirt is for racing :lol: I wont go there, but it got me thinking about dirt track stuff so it worked. Also I drool over Tommy(roadhawg) and Ken(Old Sprinter)'s builds. Lot of inspiration and cool people on here....

I started with the new revell Steve Kinser sprint car and a good part of the kit is just being "cleaned" and painted.

006hfk.jpg

004dvg.jpg

I have seen a little trick I liked of sanding the back of the wheel until you make the hole between the spokes....It looks much better

008jgn.jpg

The headers come as two pieces so molding them and cleaning up the tubes took a bit of time. With this sprint the flash is way better than the older sprint car from the late 80's.

001qhj.jpg

What I really like is "getting into" my builds and I started watching sprint cars, midgets, modifieds. I kind of wanted it to be modern so I decided to start researching the subject. First thing I noticed was the oil tank on the front of the engine which is located under the seat on the revell kit. I took a fire extinguisher from the parts box and cut the top off, filled the back and I think it looks pretty good. I also filled the valve cover holes and made the new breather tube out of solder..though it looks a bit big so I will change that. The engine will be the most detailed area of this build, but accuracy wont be 100%....I am still learning.

002diw.jpg

The tank comes in two half's which is pretty standard, what shocked me is how well I hid the line on my first try :lol: It usually takes a few sand/prime sessions...

002lk.jpg

The hood is also two pieces, the large main piece and the front bottom half of the scoop...still needs a bit of love. The scoop was also filled in like the wheels and I didn't like that...so hack and sand

003jnk.jpg

Whats up everybody....nice and hot just how us heating and cooling guys like it :lol: I guess I should mention that this will not be the Kinser sprint car. I decided early on that I wanted to build the car maybe say I would race. The decals in the kit I used were great and easy to work with, but like I said I wanted my own paint theme and something more homegrown looking.

I am going for the more modern look so the kit supplied seat was not going to work for me. I knew some how I would get a big fancy race seat with the thigh, arm and head restraints even if I had to make one. I removed the headrest padding from the chassis and added a little cross bar. Here you can see it next to the old monogram chassis. After researching I did it pretty accurate, but I should have probably added another one low for the 5 point harness.

001xxe.jpg

005pj.jpg

I decided on the chassis color the second I saw it on the shelf....model master Fluorescent Red. I agree it does look orange.

005am.jpg

I said earlier that the satin chrome in the kit was nice, but It still was not to my liking so i dropped it all in the bath and primed it.

004kfy.jpg

Thanks for watching Niko and always appreciate the encouragement Dr. In that picture the chassis almost glows much like the paint did on the shelf, just screamed dirt racing to me.

Back to the build and the seat issue. I asked my good buddy Bill where to get a more accurate seat and he said he had one he would donate to the project. Someone i have never met sent me a little plastic model kit piece just to help my build...pretty cool.

It was perfect and looks like a fighter jet seat, only problem as you see from the pictures is the width. I'm no genius ,but you never want things sticking out past the chassis so I used my spruce cutters and some glue to adjust things.

before

002gca.jpg

001gprp.jpg

After

005duq.jpg

004bcz.jpg

I also went ahead and made the shoulder holes bigger and added the waist holes to the sides of the seats. I primed and shot the seat with Tamiya acrylic flat aluminum. I will hand paint the black fabric part and add Butler decals.

006pak.jpg

Bruce I believe the seat came from the Monte Carlo nascar kit, but which release I am not sure. I will have to ask Bill and let you know. It is a perfect seat and if it was not for the show being in April I would have took a shot at casting it. Thanks for checking my build out and taking the time to comment guys..definitely motivates me.

I decided to just go the the hobby shop and pick out one of the testors one shot lacquers. I went with the diamond dust mainly because it makes the chassis pop that much more. Silver goes well with anodized colors also which is important later on.

001mag.jpg

I thought painting the inside of the panels gloss black would have a nice contrast and look more realistic. Never paint items flat on tape like I do....definitely a no no :lol:

006xen.jpg

I ended up sanding and cleaning all the suspension parts as well as the nerfs,bumpers. The mold lines were kind of bad and little convincing from my friend had me settled...there was not going to be any kit chrome at all. I primed and shot gloss black on everything at once. Spending the extra time was well worth it. I used Alclad Chrome and i am happy with how everything came out.

003kcr.jpg

Hope everyone is enjoying there weekend as much as I am. Got a bunch of paint and detail work done so I thought I should share.

After I shot Alclad on everything I used Tamiya acrylic paints to get the anodized look. Almost all my paint is shot through a Paasche Talon.

002dnh.jpg

004rhe.jpg

004nb.jpg

I shot model master metalizer magnesium I believe on the rear end and headers

006bew.jpg

005lk.jpg

003uks.jpg

I am really pleased with how this seat looks and after I glue the harness In I will be able to squeeze this bad boy in. I used some acrylic washes and tamiya powders to give it a dusty used look....seats seem to travel from car to car anyway.

009tg.jpg

010jdu.jpg

I picked up some awesome parts from Charlie at Pro Tech and this 5 point harness was one of them, the Simpson decals are from a Slixx sheet.

013qrq.jpg

over the coarse of a few weeks I have managed to get the gold painted on the wheels, the tires mounted and some weathering has begun. The kit does not come with Good Year lettering for licensing reasons I assume. I didn't have the correct scale lettering for the rear tires and on the real track these guys run many variations including bare side walls so I think its fine. I also dull coated the side walls to loose the shine.

012uxn.jpg

014ie.jpg

That's coming along very nicely my friend. Your hard work is paying off. Good stuff!

For those interested the seat is from Revell's 2007 Tony Stewart Monte Carlo. Also too, the seat was in all the kits from that era. I believe there was a Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Gordon kit as well. Basically you will want to look for Revell 2006-07 Monte Carlo's.

Thanks for the info Bill and thanks for the seat, it was key element in this build. I got the seat mounted and the belts all in place. Its probably not 100% accurate ,but I do like the final product.

001cnn.jpg

003msv.jpg

004ork.jpg

I have been working on the engine and fixing a bunch of things I messed up along the way. Here is the block shot in Alclad. I made a modern oil filter out of round stock and I will paint it anodized red. I also managed to get all my braided lines and fittings assembled.

002ijf.jpg

005qno.jpg

005ebr.jpg

004kgr.jpg

Thanks gentleman I appreciate the motivation. Tommy the fittings are from Pro-Tech, Charlie is a stand up guy and while check or money order is all he does it is worth the few extra days of wait. I got .025, .035 with the corresponding fittings If anyone was curious. I really like how his braided line has a core which becomes the curved part of the fitting. The harness was actually really easy and enjoyable to assemble. I don't know if I can ever put a decal harness on another model :lol: I am working on the radiator and painting the last few engine pieces.....updates tonight.

Thanks gentleman I appreciate the motivation. Tommy the fittings are from Pro-Tech, Charlie is a stand up guy and while check or money order is all he does it is worth the few extra days of wait. I got .025, .035 with the corresponding fittings If anyone was curious. I really like how his braided line has a core which becomes the curved part of the fitting. The harness was actually really easy and enjoyable to assemble. I don't know if I can ever put a decal harness on another model :lol: I am working on the radiator and painting the last few engine pieces.....updates tonight.

Um.... excuse me sir! I believe the class and I have been lied too. Its states here that there were to be updates? :P