Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Catalina 2+2 restoration

The70judgeman

I picked this one at the once a year "special sale" at a LHS maybe 5 years ago and completely forgot about it. As you can see, it's an AMT '65 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 I bought for $7 as is in the bag. The paint job is horrible, but on the bright side...except for the valve covers, the chrome is in great shape as well as the glass. Right after these pics were taken...into the purple pond went the body, hood, engine, and interior. Hoping the dash and seats come out later for detailing.IMG_3232.jpgIMG_3234.jpgIMG_3235.jpgIMG_3236.jpgIMG_3239.jpg

Edited by The70judgeman

What did they use a paint roller to paint it? You weren't kidding about the paint. Purple pond will do wonders for it. Looking forward to seeing this build of a car you don't see much of.

I don't know, but a kid must have done this one. Nothing was trimmed or sanded. The engine is toast. I have another one though...a Pontiac 421 Tri-power. It'll be a nice upgrade over the 421 4bbl that came with the kit. It came out of the purple pond this morning clean. Now the prep and real work starts.

Well, after an overnight stay in the purple pond, the body and hood cleaned up real nice. Unfortunately, the interior didn't fair as well. Guess it'll be black, or.........um...black. I managed to get the dash and steering wheel out, but the seats/console (one piece) are glued in pretty solid. It'll make detailing the trim on the door panels (foux wood and chrome) a little difficult. The dash and steering wheel will obviously be easier. Getting the body cleaned up and sanded smooth for primer later tonight. Now I need to figure out what body color I'm gonna go with. Want to stay away from the usual black and red. Thinking of that creamy yellow...if I can find it. Maybe turquoise?IMG_3241.jpgIMG_3240.jpgIMG_3243.jpgAlmost forgot about the engine. I found another 421 with a Tri-power. Took it apart and going to "re-build" it.IMG_3244.jpgv

Edited by The70judgeman

Have you tried the old freezer trick to get the seats out of the interior bucket? Just stick it in the freezer for a few hours, then dip it in hot water. This causes the glue to fracture and the seats should come right out.

If you can find that " that creamy yellow" in a rattle can, let me know! I've been looking for it for about 8 years now to replicate my '66 Corvair Monza. 1965 Butternut Yellow and 1966 Lemonwood Yellow (Chevy's names, Pontiac had the same colors under different names) are so close you have to park them side by side to tell which is which - Butternut is slightly 'yellower', while Lemonwood is paler.

Andy, before you get toooo involved , remember 2 + 2's are Catillinia bodies !!!!!!!!!!! A M T Slammed the Bonneville body on something G M Never built . You'll need to shorten the trunk area a little to make this a "Correct " 2 + 2............. Ed Shaver

Have you tried the old freezer trick to get the seats out of the interior bucket? Just stick it in the freezer for a few hours, then dip it in hot water. This causes the glue to fracture and the seats should come right out.

If you can find that " that creamy yellow" in a rattle can, let me know! I've been looking for it for about 8 years now to replicate my '66 Corvair Monza. 1965 Butternut Yellow and 1966 Lemonwood Yellow (Chevy's names, Pontiac had the same colors under different names) are so close you have to park them side by side to tell which is which - Butternut is slightly 'yellower', while Lemonwood is paler.

Going to try a couple parts stores, but I think it's going to be a little difficult to find. Might have to custom mix something if I'm going that route. Stay tuned to see what happens color wise. I'll try that freezer trick too. Thanks for the tip! Edited by The70judgeman

Andy, before you get toooo involved , remember 2 + 2's are Catillinia bodies !!!!!!!!!!! A M T Slammed the Bonneville body on something G M Never built . You'll need to shorten the trunk area a little to make this a "Correct " 2 + 2............. Ed Shaver

I'm not going too in depth with this one. Pretty much right out of the box...so to speak. I just want to build it back up and be presentable. No wiring or any mods. BMF for sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy I from Milwaukee also, are you part of the AMG club? If you are there are a few guy's that mix paint you just need the PPG part number. I missed the last christmas sale at model empire.

Hey Jesse- No I'm not part of the club...although I've thought about seeing what they're all about. The Cat I'm working on I got at that Christmas sale years ago. My wife and I both went this past year. Think I dropped about $150 that day. Anyway...I just got done painting the car body and hood today, so no update pics yet. I found a pretty close match and I'm pretty happy with it. Going to do a little more work on it Sunday and I'll get new pics posted.

Just a little update. Not a whole lot of progress. Got the body/hood painted, cleared, and applied BMF. Still need to do a little trip painting. The color is Rust-Oleum Paint Plus 2X Ultra Cover Satin Lemon Grass. It went on very well and then on the second coat of clear I got a couple of boogers in there. Wet sanded the body down, more paint and clear. Be working on the interior next with pictures to follow.IMG_3249.jpgIMG_3250.jpg

Edited by The70judgeman