Model Cars Magazine Forum

vintage model collectors, need help, opinion

I am very interested in an auction on ebay, and I am wondering if the cellophane on this original 68 chevelle kit looks original or resealed, I've seen a couple others sealed, and this looks different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-1968-Chevelle-Super-Sport-396-HARD-TO-FIND-5628-/320874241985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab5985fc1

Just asking opinions, as the oldest sealed kit I have is from 75, but this is one of my grail kits, and right now I have the money to pick up if possible. thanks in advance, Randy

I am very interested in an auction on ebay, and I am wondering if the cellophane on this original 68 chevelle kit looks original or resealed...

Are you looking to buy as a collector or a builder?

Because if you're a builder, whether the shrinkwrap is original or not doesn't make any difference.

Personally, I'm a little suspicious. Heat shrink back then was a little cracklier and would certainly have yellowed by now and either compressed the box a tad or cracked in some places. Seller only says "sealed." If it was original shrink wrap he likely would have heralded it boldly.

E-Mail the seller and ask him......And just find out if he can guarantee the kit is 100% Complete...if he cannot then then i would say Bogus....

I would not pay that much for a kit....unless i could see the contents of the kit......How are the Decals?........Is there tire burn?...... Glass Broken Cracked?

The seller should give a 100% complete inspection on the kit....for $275.00 or More

yeah, Was thinking it was too shiny and looks too new myself. Was looking as a grail kit to keep sealed, not to build. I was outbid on a kit last year with way different wrap and still had price sticker on it, for same price as this one now. If its been opened and resealed, who knows whats actually inside, and I am sure he wont open too look now either.

Edited by prostockmania

I have purchased from that seller. Everything went fine and as described.

He has a lot of vintage kits and I think it is weird he would purposely re-shrink wrap this one kit and leave most of the others non-shrink wrapped. If you look at the box, it looks like it's in very good condition - no shelf wear or rubbed corners, both of which are evident on a kit that has been opened. I saw an original 1968 Cougar kit that had similar plastic wrap and looked that new. I am not verifying this kit or endorsing the seller, just saying it's not impossible.

Now, let's see...1963 Chevy II Crew Wagon, 1964 Bonneville Hardtop, AMT Chevelle Drag Team...what were we talking about?

I would agree it looks a bit too nice to be the original wrapping, but you can never know for sure how or where it was stored over the years.

If you're never going to open it, it doesn't matter what's inside. If you like it, buy it and enjoy looking at it. That era AMT box art is fantastically trippy. B)

It says in the item description: Used. If it was original cellophane, would he still have say "used" due to age alone? I don't know, I'm curious myself. Can you advertise a kit that old as NIB if it's never been opened? I would if I could?I

It says in the item description: Used. If it was original cellophane, would he still have say "used" due to age alone? I don't know, I'm curious myself. Can you advertise a kit that old as NIB if it's never been opened? I would if I could?I

This really depends on the seller. I have seen kits obviously open and worn listed as "New, never used", and while technically correct, it's not brand new. I think it is more honest to list an old item as "used" simply due to the fact it is not like it was 40+ years ago when you could pick it up off the shelf.

Enough with the baseless speculation. Somebody pony up the cash and let us open it to see if it's real.

Here's my take on it; If you plan to buy it and never build it, it doesn't matter if it's the original shrink wrap. some guy will find that out after he buys it at your estate sale, and that is only if he doesn't keep it sealed until he shuffles off his mortal coil. If your plan is to build it, go far a cheaper un-sealed kit so you know what you are getting. Better yet go for an even cheaper incomplete kit. You get it for pennies on the dollar, and just about anything that could be missing is either in the readily available AMT '69 Chevelle kit or through the Modelhaus. When I buy these old kits I almost always replace the bumpers and grill with Modelhaus parts anyway, because they are already cleaned up and the chrome is usually smoother.

All things considered , I say it is legit . I have an original MPC '71 Cyclone Spoiler that I bought in 1972 and the shrink wrap looks similar to that Chevelle , except it has shrank a bit and collapsed the top and one side if the box . A kit is only worth what some one is willing to pay , and obviously that Chevelle is considered collectable .