Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever seen a model like this

I have one in my stash that I started. My plan was/is to do do a cutaway style paint job, but not necessarily done on the car centerline. I even hunted down a Goodwrench Lumina from the Monogram Stock Car Plus line to get the figure to put in it.

I did the 1/2 'n 1/2 thing to the clear Hemi kit. Mostly because I screwed up and a couple of parts broke and lost a spring for a lifter. So 1/2 looks like a built and painted engine and 1/2 you can see the working internals. Worked out in the end and looks pretty cool too. Come to think of it...I think one of the Mints (Franklin or Danbury) did a Richard Petty car like that.

Come to think of it...I think one of the Mints (Franklin or Danbury) did a Richard Petty car like that.

MPc also did a Petty Charger done that way. That kit went on to become the Street Charger (soon to be restored to Petty specs) as well as the basis for the 1/16 scale General Lee.

A few years back there was a builder from the Fond du Lac, Wi area that did a cut-away NASCAR for the Milwaukee NNL and it was a drop-dead-gorgeous model and he also had cut-away views of the wheels & tires, engine, etc.. The "other " magazine would not publish any photos of it because it had Jack Daniels decals on it. What an awesome build it was.

Don't mean to steal the thread,the other day I was reading my uncle's old SAE April 1990 issue.I saw the "Clear view 2000" section and freaked out at how cool it was.I went to show my uncle and he explained that the town it was produced in was a dead giveaway.Los Bogaas.Man I feel stupid.

I would prime it and paint it all black because I've never seen a real half clear, half black version of that car. I've just never felt any urge to do a clear body car, especially considering how easy it is to lift the body to show off the interior.

That's a great idea. Got one Idea tho to throw out there. Could it be painted like the rc bodies? From inside out so the clear body could act as a clear coat and protector.

.......That's how I did my Pearson Pontiac in the early '70s. The decals on the outside gave it a groovy kinda 3-D effect!