Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay... what can I say other than that parachute mount is a work of art. Beautiful work on it. I am curuous if you made a jig to solder it. I know when I did one of my body structure mounts for my funny car that I had trouble soldering the whole think and it all fell apart cause the heat let go of other joints. I fixed it but ended up supergluing one of the support joints. I learned from it and will approached it different next time...lol that set up just looks killer.

Well, to be honest, I winged it. Let's just say I burnt my fingers a lot! You learn what your pain threshhold is when you are trying to hang on until the joint cools enough to let go.

I was able to tack the main rectangles to the lower support bace then slightly bend them to get the right angle. Then once I had a few more supports on, I went back and retouched the joints that I had bent so they were strong again. It was like juggling worms trying to hold the car, the brass, and solder it at the same time. But once you get a few in place, it gets easier.

OK back to the soldering and having to hold stuff while soldering. This has really been bugging me until I thought of a possible solution. How would a tin can of fine sand work to hold your pieces while soldering? It would hold the pieces without burning your fingertips and diffuse the heat from remelting other areas already soldered if these areas were embedded in the sand. I've not soldering anything so intricate but it sure seems like it would work.

Small update.....got the inner door skins on and sanded smooth. I need to blend the top edge into the door and they will be ready for primer. I decided to leave all the hardware in place. I will just have to mask really carefully!!

I've also started with the filler pieces. I need to go around them and drill out all the fastener holes and they will be ready for CF decals.

P9183601z-vi.jpg

P9183603z-vi.jpg

CK

Clay... outstanding work my friend. Very clean and its going to look great with the carbon fiber decals. I also can't wait to see what color you go with for the paint. Love the progress you are making. I am gonna be borrowing your working latch idea on one of my next builds.

Clay,

Like so many others I have always watched in amazement of your work. Your latest creation this '68 Mustang Pro Mod is another masterpiece

on the workbench. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents & techniques. I am going to try the door method on my '32 Ford. Still trying to cut my

engine properly. Here is a great source for Metals. When you go to the site go to raw material, then go to Metals. They have every shape possible down to 1/8" and you can get it 1 foot long. Aluminium, they have four different types. I just wish I knew how to use a mill.

www.mcmaster.com

Ron Berke

Thanks! I appreciate the replies.

Still plugging away on body work.

I did all the putty and sanding on the inner doors. I pretty well have everything smoothed out, and ready for primer.

P9243623z-vi.jpg

P9243624z-vi.jpg

I also drilled the inner door panels for bolt hardware and got them primed. These are now ready for paint and CF decals.

P9243625z-vi.jpg

I also lowered the sides by adding some styrene stock. The rockers are a little closer to the ground now.

P9243621z-vi.jpg

P9243622z-vi.jpg

I also spent what seemed like days working on the underside of the front end. I had ground the inside a bunch trying to get clearance for the front tires. I fixed a few spots, then realized that I really needed to fix all of it. So more putty, more sanding, and it is pretty close to being all smoothed out under there.

P9243627z-vi.jpg

A few more bits to fix, then I hope to get everything primed. More news on that when I get there!

CK

Edited by ClayK

Clay... What more can I say. Every update gets better and better. I am loving this build. Those door panels look great and gonna be killer with carbon fiber on them. I know the labor pains with sanding and filling and more sanding and filling with the body. It will be worth the hours of elbow grease put into it. I am dreading that point when I get there on my Army Funny Car but Inknow I am going to have to add bondo to the inside and sand smooth. Seeing your build in primer makes me want to start getting some primer on the F/C body. Love the progress you are making. Keep up the awesome work and thank you for sharing this build with us. It's a treat to be able to see this come together. I learn something from every update.

Thanks Chris! I apprecaite you commenting...

Big hurdle cleared last night. If anyone remembers when I built my Camaro PM, I put off doing the headers until the very last minute. I dread making them! I have had it in the back of my mind I had to get these done for this car soon. I had started a while back by bending the turn out tubes.

I decided the best way to do it was to make a set of plans. So I drew something up based off of the plans I used to build the chassis. I cut all four tubes for the one side from 5/32" brass tube. Then I cut four more matched to those for the other side. I laid them on my pattern and held them to the paper with super glue and magnets. I touched them with just enough solder to hold them together. Once all four were tacked together, I broke them free from my pattern, and sanded the ends of them flush where they mount to the flange.

I had the aluminum chunk left over from when I did the pieces on my heads. So I chucked it back up on my mill and drilled them for the mounting holes and parted off two to use as flanges. I wish they were brass so I could solder them, but I had all the work done already in aluminum so I used it. The flanges were glued on, then I soldered on the Dirt Modeler tabs on each tube.

Finally, I mounted them to the engine with brass rods, and added the turn outs. Those are tacked to the main tubes as well.

I still need to clean up the excess solder. And drill for the sensor lines yet. But I was so happy to get this far in one night!

Here's how it is looking at the moment.

P9253635z-vi.jpg

P9253633z-vi.jpg

Here you can see my aluminum flanges. I'll add the bolt hardware after I paint everything.

P9253631z-vi.jpg

P9253634z-vi.jpg

And mocked up on the car.

P9253628z-vi.jpg

P9253629z-vi.jpg

P9253630z-vi.jpg

Whew! Glad that is over!! Back to body work and more sanding....

CK