Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay... I am truly blown away by your talents. Those headers are a work of art and masterpiece. I love the first pic of the mocked up pics just looks Bad A$$!! Awesome use of the Dirt Modeler tabs. I think it s so cool how we can incorporate many of these different aftermarket pieces into different parts of our builds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys....I appreciate it.

Small update. I've finally got the body work all primed. Big thanks to John Teresi, and DaveyT for the help on sorting out what primer I should use. Right now everything is covered in Omni 2 part Epoxy primer. It will give me a good solid base to work from, and hopefully lock in the resin body and keep me from having issues down the road. I still have a few small spots to fine tune, but for the most part the body work is done.

PA053653z-vi.jpg

PA053651z-vi.jpg

PA053655z-vi.jpg

Hopefully I can get some engine work done and get it caught up with the body. I am running out of time!

Clay

Clay... awesome update. Love it in primer. What I would give to have my funny car at this stage...lol. i have been debating if I should use a 2 part primer for my body because I typically been using Plastikote spot filler primer from a rattle can. I have recently purchased some Napa brand primer but may try it on a different build. As always I am looking forward to more progress on this build. It's giving me more motivstion to get my funny car done..just like you i am running out of time and April is getting here quick...lol

CLAY………YOU HAVE IT THIS SOOOOOOO FAR OUT OF YOUR PARK……..IT HAS LANDED HERE IN CALIFORNIA……….LOVE THIS BUILD BUDDY :)

That would explain the UFO I saw from my patio the other nite.

Looks great in primer Clay. Keep on keepin' on.

Man this thing is turning out unbelievable Clay, Really motivates me to get started on my new project .

What do you mean by this?

"lock in the resin body and keep me from having issues down the road"

Should i beware when using a certain primer on resin? I never worked with resin much at all.

Also what program do you use to make the chassis and print the plans?

Edited by Prostreet

Man this thing is turning out unbelievable Clay, Really motivates me to get started on my new project .

What do you mean by this?

"lock in the resin body and keep me from having issues down the road"

Should i beware when using a certain primer on resin? I never worked with resin much at all.

Also what program do you use to make the chassis and print the plans?

Thanks Joe.

I've had problems with resin from both Flashpoint and Comp Resins. Whether it is messing up the paint after everything had cured, or sometimes you don't see the problem until after you put the paint on. Almost like the resin has a skin, and once you sand through that skin, the resin stays sticky no matter what you do. My Pistonator PS has issues like that. No lacquer primer or sealer seemed to take care of it. I'm hoping the epoxy primer will do it this time.

You say you're running out of time. Are you planning on having it done for the Southern Nationals?

Yes! That is the plan...

Thanks everyone, I'm working away!

Clay

Thank you guys. Been a busy weekend working on the pro mod. I've been banging away on the engine. I ran the plug wires....I used Pro Tech's 1/16 red wire into a Micro Nitro MSD mag. I made the valve cover boots from plastic.

I scratch built a new oil pump from plastic, and a new fuel pump from a resin body, and sheet plastic. I added Scale Hardware bolts to the front over of it. I also made a blower belt guard from brass and resin and painted it plat black. The barrel valve is made up from 7 pieces of brass all soldered together, then bolted to the injector hat. I ran all the injector lines, and I'm ready to install the main fuel lines next.

I also redid the valve covers again, and added bolt details to those as well.

PA203693Z1-vi.jpg

PA203694Z-vi.jpg

PA203691Z1-vi.jpg

PA203687Z1-vi.jpg

A few sitting in the car....

PA203683Z-vi.jpg

PA203680Z1-vi.jpg

I also got all my window tabs soldered on. These are Dirt Modeler 1/16 tabs.

PA203681z-vi.jpg

PA203684Z-vi.jpg

I need to get the rest of the plumbing done this week, then get on to paint on the body!

Thanks for looking,
CK