Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments!

OK, finally got some more progress to show. Spent the last few days working on the firewall. I'm closing in on finally being done with the chassis on this beast.

I started out by filling in the area between my lower window support bar, and the main dash bar with thin brass sheet. From there I bent up three separate brass panels for each side and got those fitted. With those in place I added the center hump, and finally using .015 sheet plastic I cut out and glued on all the embossed panels.

Once all the basic construction was done I slopped on some thick liquid primer over all the panels to blend everything in. After a quick sanding a wash, I decaled all of the stitch welds like I did on the floor panels.

P6031913z-vi.jpg

P6031903z-vi.jpg

P6031907z-vi.jpg

I also redid the front window support bars as well.

P6031912z-vi.jpg

P6031905z-vi.jpg

Next up is cutting the doors out, and getting them hinged.

Thanks for looking!

CK

Bart is correct......I'm hoping once under primer, paint and clear it will match the look of the real cars stitch welded panels.

1401982899540_765884_4354121_n-vi.jpg

I've started cutting on the body and working on the doors. Hopefully if I get a good weekend of work in I'll have some progress to show.

Clay

For a change, I was actually home all weekend, and got lots of bench time!

My next biggest hurdle was cutting the body up, and getting the doors open. After cutting them both free, I started trying to figure out where I wanted my hinge point to be. I bent up the support bar and mounts from brass rod and got them mounted to the chassis. From there I took some square styrene stock and drilled it for some #1507 rod ends. I spaced them apart and used two per hinge. This allowed for the pivot to be super strong, and spread the load out and allow the doors to swing with zero sag. With both doors hinged and working smoothly, I moved on to the front fender support/mounts that shoot out in from of the doors. I'll get back to the inner door area and door gaps later. I wanted to make sure they worked first, then I'll fine tune later.

P6101926z-vi.jpg

P6101921z-vi.jpg

P6101922z-vi.jpg

P6101924z-vi.jpg

The front fender supports are bent up from brass rod and soldered in place. This was a pretty tricky operation. I had to make sure they matched side to side, fit the front clip like they were supposed to, and I had to be quick with the iron so I didn't loosen up any of the other joints. I probably did five different layouts before I got this style to work. My firewall took a bit of abuse during construction, but it will be pretty easy to get it back into shape. The Dzus abs are from Dirt Modeler.

P6101927z-vi.jpg

P6101929z-vi.jpg

P6101928z-vi.jpg

Edited by ClayK

The last thing I worked on was the front body tree. More brass rod soldered up. Once the body is painted, I will install this to it for good. But for now it's loose.

P6101919z-vi.jpg

P6101920z-vi.jpg

And in place.....

P6101932z-vi.jpg

P6101930z-vi.jpg

Next up I'll work on my door gaps, and finally get to the front suspension!

Thanks for looking!

somebody please take clays soldering gun away from him !!! i thought i was gaining on him and then he got a mill.now a soldering gun, i just cant take it anymore.

Edited by lou s