Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Thank ya fellas! Finally making some good progress.

I've been working on the rear end all week. Lot going on here. Of course, I've got the awesome Micro Nitro rotor hats and Lamb calipers. The rotors are also from Jim. I machined the front pinion plate, and made the front driveshaft containment from brass rod and some Dirt Modeler PE. The brake lines and oil line is from #2 Detail Master fittings, and Pro Tech line. This whole unit is pretty well ready to be installed.

P3143351z-vi.jpg

P3143353x-vi.jpg

P3143352z-vi.jpg

P3143354z-vi.jpg

I've also been running the brake lines. Again DM #2 lines and fittings.

Rear....

P3143346z-vi.jpg

P3143347z-vi.jpg

Front...

P3143344z-vi.jpg

P3143345z-vi.jpg

Up front I machined a new set of rotor hats/spindle caps. These will slide right over the strut axles, and also hold the rotors. And they fit Jim's wheels as well. I've also started on the front brake calipers. These are from Micro Nitro too.

P3143357z-vi.jpg

P3143359s-vi.jpg

P3143342z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

It's so nice to see that you're back building this one, Clay! Your work is impressive and that rear end is looking like an 1:1 scale part. Nice detailing, and I'm taking notes for my possibly upcoming Pro Mod build...

Clay: Hi, my name is Mitch. Your work is crazy good, so you can check into a hospital and leave the rest to me :D J/K! I have't read every page yet, but Chris Sobach will vouch for my sanity. I only build lowly P/S and P/M kits with ignition and fuel system upgrades and little bits and pieces as my ability will allow. I have a question for you if you would kindly answer. On the Blackbeard's Revenge build, if you're familiar with it, I believe the the pipes are chromed at the top and then change tint to a brownish/blue hue just like a real exhaust zoomie would when it has heat applied to it. Do you know of any way to create with kind of effect with a plastic exhaust pipe? Some combination of paints/colors or application technique you've discovered during your experience in modeling?

I just figured anyone with this amazing level of creativity and innovation in building might know. Chris, Comp, Tyrone, feel free to chime in if you might know! Thanks all!

Mitch....Here's the complete album for my Blackbeard Pro Mod. You can see the headers towards the end of the album. I built them on the car, and actually painted them on the car. I misted very light coats of Alcald clear yellow, and Alcald Sepia and Violet to do the heat staining.

http://public.fotki.com/ClayK/drag-racing-projects/705-camaro-pro-mod/

Jim....feel free man! Basically I wanted to make sure the hub fit the center opening of your wheel tight, and fit the axle stub. That was what I came up with.

Thank you everyone!

Clay

Clay: many thanks for this tip! I'm definitely going to try it out; I hope the new Alcald spray cans I've heard about have those tones included. It may be difficult to master the right application, but I'll try on parts tree or Evergreen rods first. Glad to find out your the builder (artist) of the Blackbeard car. The work is quite superb, especially the milling on the block and other engine parts!

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly poking away on this thing....

I ran the front fire bottle lines along the upper frame rails. DM #3 fitting line and combo fittings.

P3303367z-vi.jpg

P3303368z-vi.jpg

I've also finally started working on the engine. I painted the block and heads with Alcald shades. The spark plug hole plates are exhaust flanges from the MCG No Bull sheet. They fit perfect. Slixx decals BAE logos, then I dull coated the valve covers.

P3303364z-vi.jpg

The blower and intake were also painted. I cut a blower hold down plate from black sheet plastic. The hold down belts are medical tape painted black. I still need to add some attachments on the heads before they can be hooked up.

P3303365z-vi.jpg

Should be no shortage of horsepower!

P3303363z-vi.jpg

P3303362z-vi.jpg

The rear end is also ready to be installed. I had to make a puke tank first. Once it is installed and hooked up, then I can add the rear end.

The puke tank is just sheet plastic and aluminum tubing. Nothing fancy.

P3303371z-vi.jpg

P3303372z-vi.jpg

And the rear end with the lower X-Link on, and lower 4 bars. Thanks to my man Scrappy for the chrome plating on the X-Link. It looks awesome!

P3303369z-vi.jpg

Things are slowly starting to come together! Thanks for looking...
CK

Clay.... that is one heck of an update my friend. I am still drooling over the awesome detail. You are making some big strides on this for sure. I love how you did the fire bottle lines, they are very clean. Are you using aluminum wire or piano wire? That chrome plating on the X-brace is killer and would love to know how Scrappy did it. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us for the paint on this one. Keep up the great work. I really enjoy following your builds.

Holy smokes I ask about an update and wham you give us half a build, that amount of work and detail would take me a year. Clay you do astounding work I learn so much by looking at the details in your builds, thanks for sharing like you do.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've spend the last week or so working on the wheel tubs and filler panel. I wanted to match the way R2B2 does theirs as much as possible. I tried using the Shapeways 3D printed tubs I had, but they weren't big enough, so I went the brass route.

I started bending up one and fitting it in place, then I made the filler panel pieces, then I added the second remaining tub. It all fits in there pretty well, and seals off the body pretty decent. I still need add some more plastic pieces to show the junctions of where the pieces connect, but I'll get there eventually.

Once I did the tubs, I found out my rear tree didn't fit anymore. So I made a new one from brass rod. It all works together now, even though it will barely be seen once all together.

P7063476z-vi.jpg

P7063456z-vi.jpg

P7063465z-vi.jpg

P7063464z-vi.jpg

P7063463z-vi.jpg

As you can see, I also got all of the rear suspension installed for good. I still need to add the sway bar and links, and hook up the brake lines. The puke tank and hoses are installed, and I added the filler panels at the back of the cage too.

P7063470z-vi.jpg

P7063472z-vi.jpg

And a few with it all mocked up.

P7063457z-vi.jpg

P7063459z-vi.jpg

P7063481z-vi.jpg

P7063453z-vi.jpg

Now I can get the tubs painted black and start decaling them thanks to my man DaveT! I've also been working on the inner door skins.

CK