Model Cars Magazine Forum

In the path of destruction

Well, this truck has become a casualty twice in a week now, the first time it was dropped by my grandson, lost a tire and a mirror, no big deal. This afternoon while I was away doing laundry, my wife was caring for my nephew (since his own mother won't). I the blink of an eye, he grabbed the truck from the table, and spiked it across the room, I still haven't located all the pieces. WTH?!

Anyone else have these issues with small children or animals, or photographic evidence?

DSCF1034.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

Personal I have not,But a vendor at my local show told me this story.He was standing at his booth and a little kid came running into the room with a mother in pursuit and stuck his arm out as he was going past a table.He said at least 5 or 6 models were taken down before someone grabbed the little kid.Ever time I go to a show I put my models against the wall out of little arms reach.

I don't have photographic evidence, but years ago when I was into HO scale model railroading, a dog got hold of a coaling tower that I was building. He did such a great job of weathering it, that I placed it on the layout just the way I found it. I got a lot of comments on the excellent weathering job.

This has happened alot over the years between the wife, kids, and dog. It has gotten better, kids are older, no more dog, won't alow the wife to touch them anymore. Keep meaning to build a display case...until then they go back in the box.

Plastic scale models and children do not mix. Ever. That's why God gave us locking glass display cases. My 3-yr old grandson barely even knows I have models because I always redirect his attention whenever he's in the room with the display cases! That was a nice truck, BTW :(

Sometimes an outside influence isn't needed at all.This '53 Ford survived a local contest,(took 3rd in trucks). I brought it home, walked in the front door and dropped it on the floor. After looking at the ugly wreck and pretty ribbon for a few months I finally put it back together. It was kind of like building a Pro-Shop kit, everything was painted and ready to go.

53Fordwrecked002.jpg

Back in the 70's I built the Revell Cutty Sark model when I was with my first wife.She was baby sitting some child who thought it would be fun to pull off the rigging and break 2 of the masts. My wife at the time didn't think it was a big deal. I had some serious hours into the rigging of that ship. :angry: That and a host of other reasons is why their is a second wife now.

Glad to see I am not the only victim. The biggest issue is, it wasn't finished. I had it sitting on the hobby table, all I had left to add was a battery and front shocks...

All my finished stuff is up where they can't reach, but I have plans now to buy a couple LOCKING cases.

In short: College roommate and I renting a house. He had inside chores, I had outside chores. He had ten thumbs and a flailing dust rag. Every week more pieces were laying next to my openly displayed models until I had to pack them all away. His excuse... "Don't blame me, you shouldn't build those things so flimsy."

To his credit, he gave me 3 old, 70's vintage kits he got as gifts but never cared to build. (MPC Fire Fighter Mustang II, Revell Fun Truckin' Ford Courier, AMT '34 Ford Pickup w/custom parts.

Grandkids knocked a cased build off a shelf once. Eh stuff happens, not really upset about that. My children never tampered with builds one way or the other. They were/still are builders themselves so they appreciated the finished product. Currently all builds reside in their own cases or covered shelves.

Now their mother, that's another story. She would deliberately break my builds, and tools and such would disappear. Ditched her years ago.

This wife sits and watches. She appreciates what I can do, and thinks my builds are all "cute". Those forum members who have met her know what I mean when I say she's a keeper.

G

Edited by Agent G

Grandkids knocked a cased build off a shelf once. Eh stuff happens, not really upset about that. My children never tampered with builds one way or the other. They were/still are builders themselves so they appreciated the finished product. Currently all builds reside in their own cases or covered shelves.

Now their mother, that's another story. She would deliberately break my builds, and tools and such would disappear. Ditched her years ago.

This wife sits and watches. She appreciates what I can do, and thinks my builds are all "cute". Those forum members who have met her know what I mean when I say she's a keeper.

G

I can agree to that, Mrs. G is a very nice Lady, yes she is a keeper G

We have one spare bedroom which is my hobby room or as my two grand daughters call it "papas no no room". If I'm not in there the door is closed and they know better than to go in. The wife, not so well trained. Lol. That said, I have lost many models over the years due to accidents or every sort. That's also one reason why I don't build models with rolling wheels.

Yeah, the only model I have ever gotten into a Contest Annual met a horrible fate at the hands of a three year old my wife was sitting for, somehow getting into a locked closet. I was deployed at the time so I have only my wifes story on this. The corpse was left for me to peruse and it wasn't pretty.

This is all thats left.

Untitled.png

My daughter is 4, and she has NEVER touched my models. She just stands next to my bench and looks. Occasionally she'll go through my stash and say "I want this one". LOL She also know which ones on my shelf are hers. She also thinks my collection of Hot Wheels on my wall are hers. LOL

HOWEVER...................... about 10 yrs ago when the Revell 99 Silverado and waverider came out my cat DESTROYED it and an AMT S-10 Xtreme. Jumped right up on the hutch on my desk and started batting at them like they were mice. By the time I was able to get to them they had already hit the floor and shattered.

Edited by JamesW

We have a few little pomeranians and they always follow me into the garage where I build. I was in the middle of building some leaf springs and hangers when I must have knocked 1 on the floor. I looked every where with out finding it, so I started over. I know one of those little devils took it. So the other day I had some 1/24 figures and i was using them to check out how something looked compered to them. Well I couldn't find one, and I looked all over, and decided they got it. (I do have one figure that ill have make him have a peg leg) I was very mad at them and decided they were not going to be allowed in the garage anymore. two days ago I walked into the garage and noticed the missing figure was standing in the doorway of another diorama that I had built. Well I had to apologize to my little friends for blaming them for it. (this time)

My 5 year old grandson who is autistic and just loves toy cars is the reason my built models are now in a locked case. :D

Hey, I finially have made it to 100 post's. :P

Edited by dustym

Personally I've found waving a handgun around keeps the two legged types away from my models (I don't really keep a loaded handgun at the bench, the roofing hatchet gets the point across :P ).

My wife and son have actually been really good about leaving my models alone, even when he was two my son recognized the difference between the models I made for him to play with, and the ones that were for me to play with. My wife has been guilty of borrowing my model tools / glues / paints which I find funny considering all the "I borrowed my wifes best cooking pot" stories told about modelers, but she has never bothered the actual models.

Both dogs I've had also have been considerate of the models.

The cat has been my great fear. Cats are known plastic destroyers, they love shelves and don't like to share that space. They also like to nibble on small bits like mirrors. I did find a way to tame even the feared model hunter Pickles...

Pickles.jpg

Duct tape... duct tape works wonders on cats. Just make a few double sided loops of tape and space them around the shelf between models. Cats hate getting tape on their paws so they quickly learn the model shelf is not the right kind of shelf to sit on.