Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1/12th scale Blower Bentley (Detail build)

model.maker

I was asked by a long time Customer to build this model over a long term period approximately 2 years ago!! I lost interest as I'm not as a rule a plastic kit builder but have since had a new urge to have another go again.

To date I've completed the chassis and wheels but not much else since. The plan is to build a very detailed model but I won't be incorporating all the chassis details which are hidden under the floor. I will be detailing the engine ,supercharger and firewall etc. Some people may have already seen this project on other forums so bare with me through the boring stuff already seen until some fresh updates start happening.

DSC04957-vi.jpg

I machined and spoked new wheels from brass to replace the terrible Airfix wheels.

DSC04955-vi.jpg

A new dashboard was fabricated from 1.4mm Aluminium plate and given a machined finish,Individual gauges were machined from Brass and will eventually recieve Bromide printed faces with polycarbonate lenses

DSC05337.jpg

DSC05339.jpg

Jumping ahead I put a coat of "number 5 racing colors British green (without clear coat)

DSC05638.jpg

DSC05634.jpg

DSC05633.jpg

DSC05631.jpg

As it stands now fenders riverted and fitted to the chassis now I can make a start on the detailing of the engine /blower etc! All the boring work is done !!

Edited by model.maker

• 2 years later...

Beautiful work! I especially love those wheels. Haven't figured out how I'm going to respoke mine yet....

I was hoping to use this thread as reference for my build which I just started (it's in "on the workbench", I didn't know there was a specific page for large scale...) but you missed out pics of all the bits I need! :(

For instance, where do the oil pipes that exit the circular panel on the firewall run to?

Ian