Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very cool car. The story behind the car is as cool as the car itself. Not sure if you have seen it, but it had been in the works for a while. Here are some links.

Pfaff is a car designer and has his own website.

http://murraypfaff.wordpress.com/

Here is a hubgarage page.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Murray/vehicles/56514

Here it is in Hot Rod magazine.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1107_1959_chrysler_imperial_speedster/viewall.html

Mike

Just saw this on todays Spike network's "Powerblock"...craftsmanship looks good, but kinda looks like a 1:1 Deals Wheels!

Ira, did you build this car? :lol:

Just like the bridge I have for sale.. ;) ..Saw it again today with Courtney.....It has been cut a "bit" :P :P :D

hrdp-1107-10+1959-chrysler-imperial-speedster.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

I think it's BEAUTIFUL! Here's what I don't understand though. Why would somebody go through all that work and leave the stock emblems? That always gets me with 1:1 53-56 F100's. Fantasic suspensions, engines, paint, interiors - often some custom front grill and then, STOCK TAILLIGHTS!! Very annoying to me.

No way. The proportions are completely messed up, it looks like a kid's pedal car or some sort of clown car. The Imperial's styling cues and lines simply do not work on a short wheelbase "sporty" car like this is trying to be.

A very silly looking custom. If you're going to do a custom, you really need to think it out and try to improve on the original design, not just create some sort of silly clownish caricature. This looks like it belongs in some Saturday morning kid's cartoon show.

IMO... big waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

As we all like to give our two cents worth on anything I decided to give a NICKEL'S worth on this thread. I like the pictures you posted Mike at the beginning and the size so everyone can see this car and the terrific craftsmanship. Since I see that none of you have said you have seen the car in person let me give you some info that may help you understand the car and the builder. Murray Pfaff and quite a few friends built this car in Murray's 2 1/2 car garage, not in one of the many pro shops around the country. You should all go to pfaffdesigns.com and look at what he is about. He has designed projects for Boyd Coddington and for Rad Rides by Troy as well as many other top builders and is a regular contributor to Hot Rod mag as well as many other top pubs that a lot of us read. This car was built as a "what if" concept. This may have been what Chrysler had built if they had put a 2 seater on the market. This is what Murray's intention was when he put his ideas on paper. The car has to be truly seen in person to appreciate the work and see what it is all about.

To Green Duster---the magazine articles have been great but, you cannot get the true dimensions of this car from a few magazine pics.

To crazyjim---the stock emblems on the sides of the fenders are there because under the Imperial emblem it says 'Speedster'. This is not a CUSTOM car. It is a concept car that could have been at the 1959 Auto Show.

To Harry P.---as stated above, this is not a custom car. I have looked at some of your drawings and they are very nice. I would have expected you of all people to look into the entire story and design of this car before you wrote your reply. It is very obvious to me that you have never seen the car in person. You need to make a trip over to the Motor City and check it out. We have many car shows it can be seen at as this is no trailer queen.. It was on the Hot Rod Power Tour last summer for the last two legs as it doesn't have a top for it and we had rain the last day and a half and he had to head for home. Murray also brings the car to our Sat morning gathering at a local car store and drives this car very regularly as you would your daily driver. The proportions were carefully thought out and put to paper and then the saw came out. It is not as you put it 'a very silly looking custom'. The car was improved on as it was narrowed eight inches to make it look in proportion as a two-seater. There is a car show at the Chrysler museum on June 9 in honor of the 2 seat sports car and the Speedster will be there. Why not make plans and come on over from Chicago and you will truly change your mind about this car. I give you all of this info as I know Murray and I am a true Motor City car guy. My name "phatfender" is because I really like the '37 and '40 Fords but, I am a true Mopar fan and I think the Imperial Speedster is one fantastic car honoring the pentastar. You can't judge a car by a few pictures you see in a magazine and make your judgement. The Speedster was at the 60th Autorama here in Detroit and was a big hit. People stood for awhile looking at it before they understood the full size '59 Imperial in the display was the starting point and really liked what they saw. Enough said.

I guess that was about ten cents worth in the end. Thanks for reading and thanks to Murry Pfaff and his crew for giving us all the Imperial Speedster.

A good story can't make an awkward car look better.

That's exactly right.

The proportions are cartoonish, either in photos or in person. All the hard work and good intentions in the world don't necessarily equal a successful result.

I don't for a minute argue against all the hard work and craftsmanship that went into this. All I'm saying is that the result is very silly looking. It just plain doesn't work.

Not crazy about the color, but I think just a few extra inches between the rear of the doors and the rear wheel openings would help the proportions. Overall though, I like it- it actually works pretty well when you consider the battleship-like dimensions the original car had.

• 2 weeks later...