Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read any good books lately?

charlie8575

I notice that a lot of movement is being made to a really friendly, let's-truly-get-to-know-each-other forum. I, for one, think that's a pretty good thing.

One of my great loves, aside from model cars and trains, Freemasonry, and my beautiful Heather, is reading. Dare I say, it's probably my first love of all. I enjoy the acquisition of knowledge, whether practical or philosophical, and encourage all of you to do the same. It will help with every aspect of your life, from work, to love, to friendships, to your view of the world and beyond, and yes, sometimes, even modeling, as we've seen with Mr. Mike's superb Mc Nally narrated builds.

I'd like to start off with sharing some books I've been reading recently, and my general thoughts on them.

1. Why Boys Fail by Richard Whitmire. A study into why boys in modern society are falling farther and farther behind, how the educational system may actually be stacked against them, contrary to popular belief, and why it must be fixed. Compelling.

2. A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink. Most of us are aware of the right/left brain functional differences, if you're not, a quick primer can be found here. http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

In this book, Pink explores how the right brain, which controls creativity, has long been looked down upon, and why, in the coming age of advanced science and engineering, it may be far more critical than ever. This books also enlightens the reader as to how to get the two sides of the brain, which often "fight," to cooperate and work together, maximizing your mental potential, and your creative potential. Although not stated so far, I would suspect model building is a great way to do that. ;) Very interesting book, and well worth reading.

3. The Journey to Teams by Michael D. Regan. Although not "recent," this book is in my top 10 of all-time favorites. Using the advice of a retired sherpa, a manager rebuilds his division and starts an internal managerial revolution in his company. This, without question, is one of the most compelling books I've ever read, and I highly recommend it to anyone involved in the management or administration of a business or non-profit organization. I highly recommend it to anyone, period. It WILL change your thinking.

4. Stupid Black Men: How to play the race card and lose by Larry Elder. Probably one of the most controversial books I've read, but extremely interesting. This book, written by noted KABC talk show host Elder explores how many minority communities have allowed themselves to be undermined by many people and have artificially held themselves back. This book was quite revealing, very disturbing, and makes you think.

So....what are you reading? The rules for this thread are pretty simple.

1. Any book or story that's general audience-rated.

2. Any subject is fine as long as you don't use this to soapbox about a particular issue. Look to my above synopsis reviews for an idea of what I would like to see for a discussion opener. The keyword is discussion.

3. Discussion is good. Remember, we all learn from each other.

4. BE RESPECTFUL!!! Remember, eveyone will have differing tastes, thoughts, beliefs and opinions. Those must be respected. By everyone.

Did I mention be respectful?

Let's all engage in learning.

Charlie Larkin

Dam n Few Died in Bed by Andy Dunlop as transcribed and edited by Thomas F. Seal. It's the memories of a life in American automobile racing in 1930 - 1975 as lived by Andy Dunlop a mechanic and team owner of dirt and Indy racing cars.

Edited by wisdonm

I rater enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy,I think the movie to it was O.K.,they cut out a lot of key points.As stupid as this next book sounds it is one of my all time favorites:The Zombie Survival guide,complete protection from the living dead by Max brooks.The book is written as if zombies really did exist and gives you every way to kill them in any scenario.

Micro - Michael Crichton.

His last book co-written by someone else after his passing. A huge disappointment. I don't think he's had an original idea since the first Jurassic Park novel.

:blink:

I thought the title of this thread was, "Read any good books lately?"

Yep. I read all the time. television just doesnt cut it anymore.

I'm a history nut. so I read alot of non-fiction stuff.

living in a rich historical area, theres lots to learn around here.

"The weak ones turned back, the cowards never started".

a century of ranching in Montana.

By Linda Grosskopf & Nancy Morrison.

an awesome book with some scary tales of survival.

it really makes you admire the pioneers who settled this area.

And the extremes that have to be endured to make a living in this country.

Ranching is a tough business.

"Keepin' the peace".

early day justice on Colorados west slope

By Judy Buffington Sammons.

Growing up on the west slope of Colorado,

I learned alot of these stories growing up.

there are quite a few stories about one of my favorite

western law officers, Doc Shores.

a legend in his time, he was once the Sheriff of Gunnison County.

great thread. I'm always curious about what folks are reading.

Some interesting selections so far. Killing Lincoln sounds absolutely fascinating, Harry. I'm going to add that to my read list.

Rob- yes, it was good books, but an advisory on something especially poor is okay, too! :lol:

Bart- I read the synopsis and some of the reviews of The Gods of Eden. It sounds like sort of a historical fiction; as to all the Masonic conspiracies- no we aren't out to ruin or take over the world, so I just laugh most of those off. That said, it also sounds like a very interesting book, and one I might well grab.

Chuck- the two books you're reading also sound very interesting. As I've found myself watching more and more westerns on TV, like Gunsmoke and Bonanza I find myself becoming more and more interested in the Old West, and I may very well read both of those, too.

Austin and Tyler- you both have interesting picks, as well. Although not exactly in my interest ranges, I deal with zombies everyday (or so it seems,) and I never really got into sci-fi, they racing history especially might be a bit fascinating to me.

I was wondering how this might be received. I'm glad to see it's being received well so far.

Thanks for the neat reads so far!

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

I generally have one or two books on the go at any time , my usual read is any of Clive Cussler's books (I have all of them bar one of the Sea Hunter books and the Dirk Pitt revealed one) , I don't read them in sequence , just grab whichever one I haven't read for a while (I read so much I have generally forgotten the details of what's in specific books so can easily reread them . My other favourite Authors are two Australian's , both now deceased , John O'grady who had a very Australian humour where we aren't afraid to laugh at ourselves (also very politically incorrect in todays terms) and Evan Green who also happened to be a motoring journalist and PR man for BMC in Australia in the mini era . One of Evan Greens book's is about to be made into a movie , "dust and glory" about the Australian Redex trials in the 50's .

Apart from them I read anything I can get on the history of mini's and anything marine oriented , especially relating to whaling in open boats (if you ever get a chance , read "the killers of Eden" by Tom Mead about the bay whalers working out of Eden in NSW , Australia . It's the only place in the world that's known of killer whales actually helping human whalers catch whales by herding them closer into shore and attacking them to slow them for the whalers to catch up .

I tend to haunt 2nd hand book shops fairly often too and just grab what looks good at the time too , whether it's fiction or non fiction .

I've read almost 900 books since moving to FLA. It may help since Marcia is a librarian. I enjoy Clive Cussler, James Patterson, Stuart Woods, WEB Griffin, David Baldacci, Dale Brown, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Palmer, Douglas Preston, John Sanford, and others.

I too am into the Clive Cussler books. Currently reading one with Sam and Remi Fargo as the main characters. He has a great a style of writing. I would recommend his non fiction books highly. The one about locating old ship wrecks is excellent reading about old history, not boring in the least.

I really like The Eleventh Plauge by Jeff Hirsch. Here's what it says on the back:

SOMETIMES THE ONLY WAY TO SURVIVE IS TO KEEP MOVING.

AMERICA IS A VAST, DESOLATE LANDSCAPE LEFT RAVAGED AFTER A BRUTAL WAR. TWO-THIRDS OF THE POPULATION ARE DEAD FROM A VICIOUS STRAIN OF IFLUENZA. PEOPLE CALLED THE SICKNESS THE ELEVENTH PLAUGE.

Fifteen-year-old Stephen Quinn was born after the way and only knows the life of a salvager. His family was among the few who survived and took to roaming the country in search of material to trade. But when Stephen's grandfather dies and his father falls into a coma after an accident, Stephen finds his way into Settler's Landing, a community that seems too good to be true. There Stephen meets strong, defiant, mischievous Jenny, who refuses to accept things as they are. When they play a prank that goes horribly wrong, chaos erupts, a\nd they find themselves in the midst of a battle that will change Settler's Landing - and their lives - forever.

I really like this book and I reccomnend it to others. (This book is kinda making me want a apocalypse)

I'm hearing more and more about Cussler. Heather had said I might want to read one, and I may very well do so.

Lane, The Eleventh Plague sounds like it might be interesting. Although I rather doubt I'll be wishing for an apocolypse!

Ian, some of your selections sound interesting, too. They might be a bit hard to get up here, but I'll keep an eye open for them.

I'm really happy to see this evolving in the way I hoped it would.

Harry- possible pin?

Charlie Larkin

I've been tryin to find "FORD, the man, the machine". I hear it's a very good read. Anyone read it?...........I'd pin this one for sure. People that read can have civilized conversation! (sp?)

Edited by Bartster

I also did like The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series. Although, I am a 12-year-old. :lol:

Also Act of Valor by Tom Clancy.

Cracker! The Best Dog In Vietnam by Cynthia Kadohata was a great book.

...........My girls LOVE the "Wimpy Kid" movies!

The brain that changes itself.

A fantastic read that goes through latest research relating to brain plasticity, how it can rewire itself after injury.

Other than that lots of digital photography books, Tom Ang is a favourite.

Edited by groo12