Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pearl Ex pigments,Help please.

Virgil, why do you say that Future is not a good clear coat? That's all I use for clear coating and I've also mixed it with Pearl-X powders and have had no problems what so ever. Dan

Well...it's not airbrush easy.....real fiddly and got to play with the pressure.....I use a 3" wide brush....works well that way...but not with pearls or flake.

BUT Dan........Tell us how you use it....I'm ready! B) B)

I spray it thru a Harbor Freight cheap 19 dollar airbrush. I put a small amount of the pearl powder in Future and spray with 18 pounds of air and I've had no problems. No need to thin it either because Future is already thin enough. I have pictures of models that I've painted with it if you would like to see them. ;):) Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

Dan, like Mike said, it's a bit too runny and unpredictable, although clean up is always easy. I've just never thought of using it over either urethanes or enamels. Yes, I would imagine if you drop the PSI down low and spray light coats you can get good coverage.

Thanks for explaining how you use it, and I think it's wonderful you get good results with it, and YES, please do post a couple of examples. Thank you.

Thanks Mike. I have been experimenting with different pressures to paint enamels and I've gotten it down to 8 to 10 pounds. I do however thin my paint down very thin. When using the 1/4 oz. bottles to paint with, I only put 1/4 inch of paint in the bottle and then fill the bottle up the rest of the way with enamel reducer. This paint is very thin and I have to spray light coats and I have gotten very good results this way, plus I use less paint. There is very little over pray this way also. I'm still trying different things to better my painting. I'm always wanting to learn something different. I haven't tried Donn Yosts' way yet using laquer thinner to thin down the paint, but one day I will. I've talked to him at our show in Columbus Ohio and he's a very nice person to talk to. So is Kathy who keeps him in line. :lol: :lol: Just kiddin Donn. Dan

Dan....You gotta try Donns way. I am a lacquer freak....and love my HOK. I did my first enamel job, using the Yost method...15 color coats, 5 clear with 3 different pearls in it...I think it turned out well...even though it was shot out of my booth....OUTSIDE !!

firstpass.jpg