Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Challenger Question

Not that I'm building much (can't seem to find an hour or so lately....) but I do plan on picking up a few kits at NNL East in a few weeks. I know there are differences between the AMT & REVELL versions of the new Challenger. Which is the kit Mopar a guy can live with?

The AMT kits are curbside (no engine, simplified chassis, etc.) and are basically unassembled versions of the Challenger promos that AMT also sells. Revell's kit is a more traditional glue kit with full engine detail etc.

AMT makes the 2009 R/T, 2010 R/T Classic and the 2008 & 2010 SRT8. From memory, the main differences between the various kits are the wheels, front spoiler, and decals. Both 2010 kits have added disk brake detail that wasn't in the '08 & '09 kits. Also the wheels are different between the two R/Ts. Revell's kit is a 2009 SRT8.

I'd say any of them are livable, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Edited by Don Sikora II

• 2 weeks later...

Either kits are good.

It comes down to if you want simple quick build, go with the AMT versions. They look great built up but don't have all the detail.

If you like to detail the heck out of a kit, or have to have an engine in you kit, build the Revell kit.

You will like either kit you get. Just buy it to build and have fun doing it!

Both manufacturers have done a good job with the new Challenger. But it's a little more than if you want a full detail kit or not. Revell only does the SRT8. AMT does the SRT8 (2008 and 2010), R/T (2009), and R/T Classic (2010). Granted, thats wheels/tires and decals mainly, but that said, you cannot build a Revell kit as anything BUT an SRT8 unless you swap in a Hemi from their now out of production Dodge Magnum R/T or the AMT Chrysler 300C, tweak that engine for the differences ina Challenger, and use a set of AMT's decals.

So IMHO, its not merely whether you want a curbside or full detail kit, its what version you want to model.

Just my .02.

• 9 months later...

Okay, I've got the Revell '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 and the Revell '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8. BOTH instructions say the engines represented are the 425horse, 6.1liter Hemi. Hmmmm. The engine in the Challenger is much shorter (lengthwise) than the engine in the Magnum, though the auto gearboxes are identical. I'm NOT familiar with these late-model Mopar engines, so what's up? Which one is scale-correct? What am I missing here??

PS. I don't mean the accessory drives and front cover are shorter. I mean the heads and block are shorter. If it's supposed to be the same engine, what gives? The engine bays in both models appear to have enough room for the big one. Is this another case of measuring-challenged designers, or what?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I haven't checked out the Challenger Kits but when you get going I could give you some reference shots from my 2012 RT Classic.

There are some external differences starting in 2011. The door handles were changed and front end fascia is different. The lower intake at the front changed from a "smile" to a "frown". Nose badge also was eliminated. The "ram" type wheel hubs were replaced with Dodge name. Also there are different sets of wheels as options.

I think the kits that have been produced are 2010 models or older.

post-11303-0-43025400-1359850160_thumb.j

Okay, I've got the Revell '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 and the Revell '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8. BOTH instructions say the engines represented are the 425horse, 6.1liter Hemi. Hmmmm. The engine in the Challenger is much shorter (lengthwise) than the engine in the Magnum, though the auto gearboxes are identical. I'm NOT familiar with these late-model Mopar engines, so what's up? Which one is scale-correct? What am I missing here??

PS. I don't mean the accessory drives and front cover are shorter. I mean the heads and block are shorter. If it's supposed to be the same engine, what gives? The engine bays in both models appear to have enough room for the big one. Is this another case of measuring-challenged designers, or what?

I wonder if the difference is due to the Magnum being offered as a die-cast model first? At least I think it was first. :unsure:

I wonder if the difference is due to the Magnum being offered as a die-cast model first? At least I think it was first. :unsure:

Thanks for the response Casey. That could explain it. I assume the Challenger is all new tooling, as the chassis and suspension are not identical on the two models either...both very nice and crisp though. I'll assume the Challenger engine is right, go measure one to be sure.

Two different kits, AFAIK...the regular 1:25th Revell Magnum SRT8 kit (being reissued this year) is not related to the diecast-ish Revell 1:24th custom 'Uptown' Magnum R/T kit that has scissor opening doors and huge bling wheels..

Two different kits, AFAIK...the regular 1:25th Revell Magnum SRT8 kit (being reissued this year) is not related to the diecast-ish Revell 1:24th custom 'Uptown' Magnum R/T kit that has scissor opening doors and huge bling wheels..

I don't know how or if the die-cast Revell Magnum and Charger kits are related, but it seems like they could be, much in the same way the '68 Mustang and '70 Challenger T/A/R/T kits are.

Here's the "LARGE" die-cast Magnum:

4e8e36d1cbb99_88907b.jpg

And the plastic Revell "Uptown" Magnum kit:

$(KGrHqR,!hgF!ys+5d!sBQUk6s6YYg~~60_57.J

RVL85-2093.jpg

I had the Charger "Uptown" version in my possession briefly, and it definitely passed the "feels like it's based on a die-cast" sniff test.

Hmmm...the Magnum I have does NOT have opening doors, DOES have an opening tailgate, and is kit #2019.

See post #12. As I said, Revell has 2 unrelated Magnum kits..the full-detail 1:25th SRT8 w/ opening hatch, and the curbside 'Uptown' 1:24th Magnum R/T custom w/ scissors doors. The regular kit builds stock, the Uptown kits only build as customs.

Edited by Rob Hall

So, I'm still wondering why the Challenger and the Magnum engines, both representing 1.25 scale 6.1 liter Hemis, have different length blocks and heads.

Who knows...different people designed them? I would have thought the tooling would have been identical, but it isn't. I would assume Revell was doing it's design electronically w/ CAD systems...would think they would share the engine tooling design between kits, but maybe they aren't that flexible.

Edited by Rob Hall

Yup, Ace, I think it's entirely a matter of imprecision from one kit to the next (I noticed those discrepancies too). Because the Challenger was later in the curve, I'd guess and hope it is more correct - but without actual engine dimensions and calipers, I have no authority on that right now.

Assuming the latest hemi family is mostly the same externally, it might be illuminating to check 'em both against the Testors/Lindberg 1/24 Charger mill...

All of the 1:25 late model Hemi engines seem to differ in size- the one in the AMT 300C is just about in between the Revell Challenger and Magnum engines, though it is quite a bit taller. That one also has those weird exhaust manifolds sprouting out the sides of the block. Both the Revell engines look correct aside from the size discrepancy, though I could not tell you for sure which one is more accurate as far as dimensions go.