Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #52 FINISHED!

After several failed attempts I was able to determine the correct year and model ( I think, Harry hasn't given me the official word) but it was fun!

Thanks Harry, I am liking this!

I gotta say... you really worked for this one! And yes, you finally got it right! :D

I think this ID Quiz has set the all-time record for wrong answers!

that's cuz you are getting very specific in the answer, which I understand now! ;)

the correct answer wasn't that hard once I knew where to find it, but I ain't sharing that secret with ANYONE ! :P

This ID Quiz set the record for most wrong answers and most right answers!

Most wrong answers because almost everyone said this car is a 1948 Pontiac Silver Streak. But once I told you you were wrong, most of you got it right on the second, or third, or even fourth guess!

There was no such car as a 1948 Pontiac Silver Streak.

In 1948, Pontiacs were available in three model lines: the entry-level "FLeetleader" series, the mid-range "Torpedo" series, and the high-end "Streamliner" series. The "Silver Streak" script on the fender was a reference to the car's engine, it was not the car's model name.

The car in the picture is a 1948 Pontiac Torpedo.

Who got it right (most after several tries!):

Haubenschild

Badluck 13

Nitro Neil

mr moto

mr chips

my66s55

thatz4u

MikeMc

wisdonm

Thom

Foxer

Chris R

big photo

Draggon

maltsr

carsntrucks4u

mikemodeler

Drgon63

george 53

Johnny

Corvair Jim

trogdor

customsrus

mr obsessive

Junkman

I must disagree with this one: All my references, including Collectible Automobile, and an excellent Wikipedia along with several owner-identified photographs online, refer to this car as a 1948 Pontiac Streamliner Custom Coupe. "Torpedo" was used on this body style when it was introduced in 1941, and for the truncated 1942 model year. Beginning with 1946, Pontiac labeled the car "Streamliner", which name carried over through the last of the fastback Pontiacs in 1952.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I must disagree with this one: All my references, including Collectible Automobile, and an excellent Wikipedia along with several owner-identified photographs online, refer to this car as a 1948 Pontiac Streamliner Custom Coupe. "Torpedo" was used on this body style when it was introduced in 1941, and for the truncated 1942 model year. Beginning with 1946, Pontiac labeled the car "Streamliner", which name carried over through the last of the fastback Pontiacs in 1952.

Art

Here is the 1948 Pontiac brochure.

http://www.oldcarbro...e/dirindex.html

http://commons.wikim..._1948_-_006.jpg

http://commons.wikim...r_streak_-_1948

http://www.artfact.c...-1-c-31b4299988

The description of the "Silver Streak" name in the 3rd link above seems somewhat dubious in saying that the name referred to the chrome stripes. Wikipedia says it's the Straight-8 engine. However, the brochure shown by Harry shows the Silver Streak script on the Fleetleader, which is described as a six-cylinder car. As far as "Torpedo" is concerned, I would think that an auction house like Bonham's would have the paperwork to prove it.

http://en.wikipedia....raight-8_engine

It's all very confusing.

Edited by sjordan

Art

I hear you Art as I made about 6 attempts at the correct model and year before getting it correct. Ironically enough, I found the very image online that Harry used and it was from that I was finally able to submit the answer.

This one was a tough one because of the exact nature of the model and the fact that there were a bunch of other models that looked similar. If I hadn't found that same image online, I don't know if I would have been able to get it right.

At least next week we just have to figure out if it is real or model! :lol: