Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Well this is a new one on me! While doing my usual search for '58 Fords on eBay:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-1958-Ford-Fairlane-Model-Kit-Made-in-Japan-/221679257703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d1d0867

Anyone recognize the company, and if they made anything else like this?

Along the same vein, the same seller has a Messerschmitt; again any info? I'm watching both kits to see if the bids head for Idiotville...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Messerschmitt-TG500-Model-Kit-Made-in-Japan-Complete-/221679251205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d1cef05

...aaaannnnd $old! $275 on the Ford and $148.50 on the Messerschmitt.

The Pyro bicycles look really cool and in 1:8 they would be quite big aswell. I guess they would fit in nice with 1:8 scale motorbikes. I got a couple of 1:24 bicycles. Not at all obscure and they are quite recent, both from Fujimi. One in the Thule Jetbag kit and another that looks a lot more oldfashioned that comes in the Tools 3 kit that they released a couple of years ago.

Not sure if they have been posted here before but a friend of mine has some plastic kits of guns, in 1:1 scale. Looks just like real but they are nonfunctional. That is really strange in my eyes. I don't remeber who made them and not what guns it was either.

Well this is a new one on me! While doing my usual search for '58 Fords on eBay:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Wow, this is really interesting! Body is obviously based to a large degree on the AMT kit judging by the lines around the windshield and rear window. The size described (7 1/2") sounds somewhat smaller than 1/25th, the AMT kit body is 8" long. Also looks like the body made out of acetate since it appears slightly warped, like a promo. Unless in copying the AMT piece they translated the typical promo warp in styrene! Also looks like that chassis might be a bit wide for the body...

I've gave away a Grip Honda Civic last year. Or he will pay for the next one I find inside a decent price. There have been some arround the later years, and they rarely reach 100 dollars. The body, and exterior is very nice, but the rest is typical batteryoperated japanese toycars. From own collection.

Not that obsccure Honda.

IMG_8653-vi.jpg

corvette-america-concept-1978-2.jpg

In case anyone's curious lol

Now I went through all the 45 pages and I'm astonished, what (partly) beautiful model kits were out there in former times! I like the 1/24 / 1/25 Honda of cause and have to say "Hey, I have one of the posted cars"

182.jpg

And 4door Corvette (Monogram - #2269)

066z.jpg

Honda Accord (1/24 - LS - #C611-800)

660z.jpg

Cadillac Eldorado (1/25 - Revell - #1244)

924z.jpg

Pilots and ground personal (1/48 - Revell - #H-2275)

971z.jpg

The contrary to the Space Shuttle: Energija Buran (1/288 - STC Start - #121059)

1022z.jpg

or by "Reifra" (1/288)

1010z.jpg

1960 Chrysler New Yorker De Luxe St.Regis (1/24 - Revell)

098.jpg

1960 Volkswagen (1/25 - Premier - #270)

767z.jpg

767_1.jpg

767_3.jpg

Edited by christian-w

The 1/32 scale Chrysler is actually a 56 Not a 60!!

It was one of the FIRST series of Annuals Offered

in 55 then 56 by the Twin Company's AMT/Revell!!

Later 56 issues had only the Revell name on them

There were more in the series.

This Chrysler, Ford Sunliner, Buick Roadmaster 4dr, Mercury Montclair,

Lincoln's Continental Mk2, And Cadillac DeVille Convert

I have at least 1 of each of them.

Many were later re-issued as Customs, Then in Revell's SSP program

The Chrysler was left Customized, while the Ford Sunliner was returned to Stock

The first one I got was the 56 Mercury Montclair 4dr Pheaton (Hardtop)

I later found the Custom version of the Ford Convert .

I now have 2 Re-issues and an Original Stock issue of the Ford besides the Custom

I found at Carlislie.

I have 3 each Annual & SSP Custom re-issue of the Chrysler

I think I have 1 Caddy (SSP) maybe2,

and only 1 SSP of the Continental

I did Finally get a Buick, but I do not know if it is a 55 issue or a 56!!

(I got it Hidden in a Parts lot Cheap!!)

The Mercury & the Buick are the ONLY 2 in the series to

NOT be re-issued by Revell
I sure Wish they would though. The Buick, Even a Glue Bomb can

draw $50.oo+ in bids on that Evil Auction site!!!

I guess the 57 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham IS a Odd Choice, But

has been re-issued Many times in the past 20+ years.

Lastly in a Standard type box and Not as a Limited SSP program!!

Yes, I do have one of those too

Not sure how I rill replicate the Stainless Steel roof though!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Sorry, did a re-org of my Photobucket, hence all photo links I posted hitherto are broken.

Will check which ones I can repair in due course.

However, if non-automotive kits are OK, how about these?

collection010.jpg

The plastic colours of these are even more baked than the box art:

collection011.jpg

Then there is this:

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

I also happen to build 1/8 Monster kits, although I never would :huh: .... I can kinda imagine sticking one of them on these Pyro bike choppers .... the Creature has a perfect stance as-is, you'd just have to bend the knees :rolleyes:

Edited by Krazy Rick

The guns were made by Pyro.

Pyro%20C229-150%20DuelPistol.JPG

Pyro%20C200-150%20Army44.JPG

Pyro%20C225-150%20FrWheel.JPG

LS also made 1:1 scale gun kits:

LS%20P1201-1500%20Magnum44.JPG

LS7.jpg

A model building friend has a very funny(not funny at the time) about the gun kits. He built one a took it to an IPMS nationals. Had it in the window of his hotel room...you can almost guess what ensued.

Pyro was founded by William Lester in 1939, and was involved in providing plastic parts for the WWII including aircraft parts.

The company was in Union, New Jersey and had a line of ray guns and space toys that are highly collectible today. Bill Lester pretty much perfected the injection molding process, and was known as "The Father of Modern Injection Molding. He sold Pyro in 1972 so he could concentrate on the then new field of tamper proof packaging.

Something I regret deeply. The 1:67 scale 20 Mule Team kit has been produced since 1958 and AFAIK is still being made!

They are (were?) sold in the gift shop at Scotty's Castle. And believe it or not, I passed on it when I was there.

I have an assembled one that I picked up in a lot of glue bombs, no idea what I'll do with it.

Here's a new one on me. I didn't go through all 46 pages of this thread, so please forgive me if somebody already put this one up.

PalmerVolvo1.jpg

I remember reading about that one (and other Palmer kits) in a copy of the swedish magazine Wheels some years ago. It apparently just as crappy as many of the other Palmer kit. Luckily, today we can get a 1:25 resin P1800 from Airtrax that looks like a P1800. Not sure wich one is the most expensive though.

Pyro was founded by William Lester in 1939, and was involved in providing plastic parts for the WWII including aircraft parts.

The company was in Union, New Jersey and had a line of ray guns and space toys that are highly collectible today. Bill Lester pretty much perfected the injection molding process, and was known as "The Father of Modern Injection Molding. He sold Pyro in 1972 so he could concentrate on the then new field of tamper proof packaging.

aha .. so we can blame Bill for those BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH plastic packages that need a saber saw to open!!! :lol:

Edited by Foxer

re the borax mule team, I go to DV at least once a year and I could pick one up for you, if they are still available there. I believe they are either in constant or very often reissue mode on those things, keep an eye on ebay and you will find them for less or equal list price, at least when I watched them a few years ago. I had one of them back when I was a kid and so did every kid on the block if I remember right.

jb

What is "OBGYN"?

Scott

Obstetrician/Gynecologist.

If any of those gun kits were to be reissued, the box would say, "Molded in Color!", but those colors would be blaze orange, neon pink, and florescent green.

I have a (Pirates of the Caribbean) blunderbuss cap gun I got from Disneyland back in 1990. The last time I was there, they still sold them. I'n blaze orange :rolleyes: . Arr!

Edited by Zarana-X

A model of an OBGYN office? I know what a OBGYN is. I just didn't expect a model of an OBGYN doctors office. Why a kit of this? The Japanese have offered some strang kits over the years. But, that might take the cake! I wonder why an OBGYN, and not just any doctors office? And I wonder, does the kit come with a model of a doctor and a patient having an exam? This is a strange one.

Scott