Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

DSC00013-vi.jpg

DSC00014-vi.jpg

Premier Cadillac... looks like the car Stuart Little would have driven. I think Premier kits were made to make Palmers look legit!

<in my best Krusty the Klown voice> What the Hell is THAT!?!?!

I have these in my collection. I doubt if I will ever build them because of their cartoon looks -

532.89 1955 Pontiac Strato Chief 650.89 1955 Oldsmobile "Holiday" 658.89 1955 Chrysler Newport

The 60 mPlymouth wagon was Never in that Series

I have both issues of it

First was USA Oldies WITH Engine, Second was Police Emergency Wagon

Same kit with added Police decals

the whip (tall/long) antenna, LAPD version 2 pc Siren & NYPD ver

4 beam rotator from the 68 Fury and new Spotlight Mirrors.

IF I get a dry, clear day I can take pic's,

And IF I can get connection I can upload them to Photobucket and link-post here

I traded one of the Police issues, and managed to get another

a few years later.

I started to restore the USA Oldies I built New Way back then

Of the Snap kit series, I have that Rambler, 2 of the Studebaker Lark convert

the 74/75 Olds Cutlass & the 79 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.

I am missing the Eldorado, Torino & Javelin/AMX to complete the series

I loved those Johan snap series kits...too bad there hard to find and usually expensive...their promo kits were good too.

sadly the new helmsmen at Airfix, keep holding on to the 1/32nd scale for their automotive kits.

;^)

I lived in Germany in that era and was a consumer of those Airfix 1/32 cars. Many of them had opening hood and full chassis detail, think like a 1/25 scale model shrunk down. As a kid some of them were beyond my skills to finish, like the 1910s Bus and Fire engine. Early in my modeling as an adult, around 1990 I'd find the bagged kits for $5 or $10 at swap meets, but since eBay went International they all bring big money.

I guess these are to Europeans what old AMT/MPC original kits are to Americans!

I remember My Mother The Car with Jerry Van Dyke and Ann Sothern, as Gladys Crabtree, the voice of the car...My mom watched it which means, us kids did.....lol More More oddball model kits.Oh Yeah, I'm 60, so I do remember it well.....I this one when I was a young boy and painted it with a brush.

Here is one I bet you don't remember !

Art

post-11933-0-73881900-1427030842_thumb.j

post-11933-0-46337200-1427030850_thumb.j

Edited by goodguyinar416

I remember My Mother The Car with Jerry Van Dyke and Ann Sothern, as Gladys Crabtree, the voice of the car...My mom watched it which means, us kids did.....lol More More oddball model kits.Oh Yeah, I'm 60, so

I do remember it well.....I found this one that I did when I was a young one and painted it with a brush. Here is one I bet you don't remember !

Art

Art I had the Chevette kit as a kid...its not bad at all comes with some cool stuff too... Id love to find the Used Cars box for my box collection... :wub:

Art I had the Chevette kit as a kid...its not bad at all comes with some cool stuff too...

IMG_0806-vi.jpg

I'll vouch for the Chevette kit! I have ALL the different versions, and the above was built from a promo as a gift to my sister in law. It's a replica of her first car. Round 2 probably has the last version tooling, and the good part is that aside from the grill and hood, the kits are all exactly the same. So if they did release it, some enterprising caster could cover the entire range by casting a hood and two more grills.

IIRC, the "Used Cars" kit was given out as a gratuity at the premier of the movie, not something you could actually buy anywhere.

They did find their way into the hands of kit collectors after a while though. I read that they actually had an MPC Camaro annual kit in the boxes.