Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

1 hour ago, Casey said:

*scale supersonic speed.  767.369/25 = 30.69 mph :D

Casey- great comparison!  As an ex-military pilot I have to point out the the velocity of sound that you quoted to three decimal points is a bit of overkill and occurs only at a very specific temperature and barometric pressure in an "ideal gas". That is 68 degrees F and 29.92 inches of mercury.  Temperature  has a profound effect on the number.  A few degrees  can cause the number to vary quite a bit.  Most of us mere mortals quote it at 770 mph(which is at 71 degrees F).  Not trying to start anything here, but as someone who spent a lot of time dealing with aerodynamic limits is was just striking to see that number quoted to three digits.;)

Edited by Pete J.

On 4/4/2012 at 9:58 PM, Junkman said:

Something I regret deeply. The 1:67 scale 20 Mule Team kit has been produced since 1958 and AFAIK is still being made!

They are (were?) sold in the gift shop at Scotty's Castle. And believe it or not, I passed on it when I was there.

Interesting that this kit is apparently back in production again!   In the spring of 1997,  I fielded a phone call from the toy/hobby kit buyer from Walmart at my All American Models Resin Shop, to ask me to quote casting up a thousand of the "20 Mule Team Borax wagon and mules".  I had to explain to the the person that while the model kit he wanted reproduced had been done in injected molded plastic--without the actual tooling, and certainly no injection molding machine(s) in my shop--that would have to be a massive hand-casting job, in RTV Rubber molds and urethane resin--and the cost to Walmart would necessarily have to be in the range of about $100 per kit.     Once the buyer understood, that was the end of the conversation.

Art

• 6 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2012 at 4:42 PM, Harry P. said:

An obscure kit from an obscure TV show about a guy's mother-in-law who was reincarnated as a talking classic car. Really! You can't make this stuff up! :lol:

amt-mymotherthecar-box.jpg

Hope the kit was better than the TV show.  It reallllly stunk.

7 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Concerning the Aurora Urban Wreck. Was that a real model? I've never seen it in person or listed in Autoworld catalogs of the 60's. I do see the picture but until someone I trust says it was released, I'm doubtful.

Could it be a version of the demo derby kit??? I think that one was made.......but I never saw the 'urban'

29 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Concerning the Aurora Urban Wreck. Was that a real model? I've never seen it in person or listed in Autoworld catalogs of the 60's. I do see the picture but until someone I trust says it was released, I'm doubtful.

No, it's somebody's phantom creation . The Arial Black font is a dead giveaway; it wasn't available until 1982, and that's a much older Aurora logo.

(All those years I spent in the typesetting department are finally of some use :P)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Chris...."No, it's somebody's phantom creation . The Arial Black font is a dead giveaway; it wasn't available until 1982, and that's a much older Aurora logo."

Could it be Helvetica Bold? You know the font Arial is a knock off of?

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

IIRC all it was was the Ford 27 T with new hood, grille and 'Mothers radio' which is how the car spoke. I have a mint kit w/o box.

The car was actually a 1928 Porter..........

The show follows the exploits of attorney David Crabtree (played by Jerry Van Dyke), who, while shopping at a used car lot for a station wagon to serve as a second family car, instead purchases a dilapidated "1928 Porter" touring car. Crabtree hears the car call his name in a woman's voice. The car turns out to be the reincarnation of his deceased mother, Gladys (voiced by Ann Sothern). She talks (only to Crabtree) through the car's radio: the dial light flashes in synchronization with "Mother's" voice.

The above was taken from Wikipedia.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mother_the_Car

2 hours ago, iBorg said:

Chris...."No, it's somebody's phantom creation . The Arial Black font is a dead giveaway; it wasn't available until 1982, and that's a much older Aurora logo."

Could it be Helvetica Bold? You know the font Arial is a knock off of?

No, that curved leg in the R was the first thing I looked for, plus the angled ends of the C.

Fun thread to check out, until the Photophukit debacle ruined it (appreciate being able to post directly to this forum).

I've wanted to do my dad's Mercedes 190 sedan that I grew up with, had no seatbelts, airbags, ABS or air conditioning (how did I survive?).  I would hope it looks better than the box art.  I found an obscure model collector dealer, price was crazy.

itc3692mercedes1.JPG

8943505737_4dcc51074e_o.jpg

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The Chevette is a new one on me, and Google keeps bringing up the other Chevette.  Does anyone have any background on the real car?

This is my Kodak moment from Mid Ohio, June 1966, Dick Doane, Chevette. (might be 1964)

5bd4974163bc8_Chevette_1966_BudGates_June_MidOhio_20181027.jpg.3c6900a84bf5b4387f1271f392ecfcee.jpg

Edited by Gramps46