Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Monogram Honda CBX:

100_7222.jpg

100_7219.jpg

This model is still intact, complete in the box.

I couldnt believe it when I found it 24 years ago.

I want to build a replica of a Bike I once owned.

I bought a 1980 Honda CBX. Brand New.

with six cylinders, it couldnt turn very well, but in a straight line

it was downright brutal. it had pure torque. one of the quicker motorcycles I have owned.

100_3942.jpg

Edited by they call me nobody

AMT did a kit of the Yellow Submarine (from the Beatle's song / movie). It was even re-issued several years back when RC2 was running AMT.

That Granada is actually kind of neat, for whatever reason they were popular with drug dealers for a time.

IMG_4924.jpg

Not being alive in the 60s and not a huge TV fan, I've never heard of this show. The kit has all the "Hero" extras seen on the photo. The kits is supposedly a 66 Imperial but read somewhere it's actually AMT's 65 kit - I'm no expert though. I had never seen the kit before I saw it...

IMG_4933.jpg

You can build a truck version too - above is the extra interior with the truck bed.

Edited by Erik Smith

No pix but I once had in my possession a Trumpeter 1/6 scale Harley Davidson full dresser kit.The box art was duplicate of the concurrent Tamiya release but the kit did differ by having a base on which the completed model mounted.The base had a circuitry that provided engine noises when a button was pushed.I had to give the kit back to my now ex girlfriend's brother who had supposedly sent for the kit direct from Japan.

Imagine how it was in the pre-internet era. For me, it was like 'I didn't know what I didn't know'.... When I was starting to build kits in the late '70s-early '80s I had very little idea what came before 1978, other than the few '60s annuals and promos my older brother gave me..so every time I went to a hobby shop or read SAE (after discovering it in 1987) I had this sense of wonder and discovery..the first time I went to the Toledo Collectors Toy Fair in '89 as a skinny 19 yr old, it was a very eye-opening experience to the vast range of kits made in the past...

Edited by Rob Hall

An obscure kit from an obscure TV show about a guy's mother-in-law who was reincarnated as a talking classic car. Really! You can't make this stuff up! :lol:

amt-mymotherthecar-box.jpg

I actually built this model when I was a kid and I remember watching the show every week. Something about a talking car that grabbed me.

One that I always wanted to build was the Mako Shark. I remember drooling over the box every time I went to the hobby shop and asking my mom to buy it for me.

Never did get it but it could be a good project to build up from a stock one.

post-9360-0-54287400-1333464170_thumb.jp

I just built this kit and gave it to my brother in Feb. He was given (free) the model by someone he works with and asked me to build it. Next time I see him I'll have to take some pictures.

Danger

Monogram Honda CBX:

100_7222.jpg

100_7219.jpg

This model is still intact, complete in the box.

I couldnt believe it when I found it 24 years ago.

I want to build a replica of a Bike I once owned.

Greg...where did you get these images or these kits? I have both the original issues of these kits but as far as I knew, they were the only issues. These are clearly different boxes, the overall art direction (font, layout, text) looks to be derived from the original kits but the photography is all new (for those of you who have never seen the original box art, the original kits had illustrations instead of photography). If you have these kits in your possession, is there anything (copyright date, date on back of decal, etc). that would indicate when the kit was reissued. Just when we thought we knew everything about the hobby....TIM

As George Carlin once said- "There's a lot of things you never see. And you know you don't see them 'cause you don't see them. You've got to see something first to know you never saw it, then you see it and say "hey, I never saw that." Too late; you just saw it." ^_^

I have the Arii '72 T-Bird... mine was not the American Violence version, and the box art was much less amusing...

IMG_54351-vi.jpg

It's way bigger than the listed 1:24 scale- those AMT Rides Magazine wheels fill out the wheelwells quite nicely.

I don't own any of the following, but they're ones I'd like to have.

How about a Premiere Corvair Rampside?

builtrarepremiers_150684256363-vi.jpg

Or the SMP 1911 Chevrolet kit, offered only in 1961?

11chevy-vi.jpg

Or, there's the Premiere Studebaker Champ pickup kit- I've never been able to dig up a photograph of one of those, though.

Or the one I'd REALLY like to find, the Aurora '33 Ford street rod kit- this picture is from Ken Kitchen's Fotki, and Tim Boyd showed one off in his hot rod engines series in the other mag a few years back. This is the one Greg posted the box art image for earlier on.

DSC05461-vi.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most