Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Those were offered between 1962 and 1965-66. There were four: the two Deuces, the '25 T double kit, and the '36 Ford coupe/roadster.

I believe the '32 Vicky was issued first, in '62. The dealer issue may have appeared before the kit was available in stores.

The roadster was next. It is the Sport Roadster with the sidemount spare tires. Some revisions were made to this kit after its first issue (mainly to the optional parts), I believe this dealer issue was the first to include the revisions. Oddly, for a Ford promotional issue, the optional engine is a Chrysler 392.

Next up was the double T kit. Again, it was revised from its first issue. The coupe body has the stock height roof. The parts configuration is similar to that of the Round 2 reissue with the stock height coupe body.

The '36 Ford was last. My kit has a decal sheet with a 10/65 date on the back. This kit is similar to the first issue '36 with the chopped coupe roof, except the optional Pontiac engine is not included. I'm pretty certain that the '61 Imperial headlight units (for the custom version) are gone too.

Considering how old these issues are, they aren't as tough to find as are other issues of the same kits. The Vicky and double T seem to be the "most common", with the roadster being next, and the '36 being the toughest one to find. Your experience may vary, however...

Mark..Thank-You very much for the information....it is indeed very helpful.....

Edit:...Mark any idea on the value of said kits....'32-?

Thanks again for your time...

Cheers...Don

Edited by XJ6

I've got 3 each of the vintage 32 roadster and vicky. Every so often I open the boxes to gaze at that beautiful virgin styrene. Thank goodness for ebay. The one thats hard to find is the "Snake Eyes" version.

scan0203-vi.jpg

scan0205-vi.jpg

But thanks again to Ebay, I got this nice vintage built-up! Been thinking of contacting Greg Holland to see if he can do up the "Dixie Speed Shop" decals.

photo-vi.jpg

I have one of the Wild Flower Series. The Sunflower Power '62 Buick Electra 225

Other cars in the series are:

Bird of Paradise '60 T Bird Convertible

Buttercup Bomb '60 Pontiac Bonneville

Peony Pony '65 Mustang Hardtop

Magnolia Mauler '60 Mercury

Ultra Violet '61 Galaxie

20130207_170213_zps633aaab7.jpg

Same here! I had a red AMX version. it was a fast little car. What did you have?

David G.

I had the 74 Hornet Hatch, white with blue interior. I used to keep the back seat down so that it felt like a two door sport car! LOL It was fast, but since it was a manual 3 speed with that V8, it always wound out too soon. Oh, and that linkage would often stick when I would go from reverse, so I would have to reach under and wiggle it! LOL It was a blast tho. I had it in 82-83

Heres one I've never seen nor heard of. Looks like a morph between the Chizzler and the Sour Sisters AA/FD. Heres a link to the ebay sale. Only $426 bucks plus shipping! http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-THE-KAPPER-1-24-MODEL-KIT-IKKO-JAPAN-/370755612814?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item5652c1b08e

$(KGrHqVHJFIFEFpponowBRBqCVOUQw~~60_57.J

Edited by Draggon

I had the 74 Hornet Hatch, white with blue interior. I used to keep the back seat down so that it felt like a two door sport car! LOL It was fast, but since it was a manual 3 speed with that V8, it always wound out too soon. Oh, and that linkage would often stick when I would go from reverse, so I would have to reach under and wiggle it! LOL It was a blast tho. I had it in 82-83

Mine had the six cylinder with a 2bbl and a 4 speed transmission. A surprisingly quick car and one of my favorites.

David G.

My buddy worked at an AMC dealer in that era. We got to drive a bunch of new AMCs, Gremlins, Hornets and Pacers. They were very interesting, cool and fast with the 4 speeds, both six and eights! I remember one red Pacer wagon with chrome wheels and a 4 speed that I still think about!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...