Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just found these online - never heard of them before. And I've been into model cars for 40 years. 

images-92.jpg.e87550a995fe47a48a9c9a8aa3639f7c.jpg

All of the John Bogosian designed wacky car series kits were new in '72, I believe. Some shared a chassis, suspension, and engine, with specific accessories added on the match each car's theme. More info here: http://www.showrods.com/home_page_links/alpha_list.html

The sibling Aqua Charger Depth Rod was reissued a few years ago.

AMT1972SellSheet3-vi.jpg.a69a6751e0aa21e21c80eb64120b3816.jpg

AMT1972SellSheet5-vi.jpg.7906aad8aeb64cf1cbf22c3ec12fc877.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2012 at 8:40 PM, torinobradley said:

I have a few in my stash. Here are some.

Fiat Abarth 131 with opening doors and clockwork motor

Life-Like Roman Chariot with no date to indicate age

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/torinobradley/Odd%20Kits/DSC03119.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/torinobradley/Odd%20Kits/DSC03120.jpg

The Roman Chariot kit began life in the early 1950s as a Miniature Masterpieces kit, but in truth it was a Revell kit in 1/48 scale. It was part of a series of kits that all contained horses. They didn't sell well and eventually became kits that were sold by small model companies that didn't have their own molds just bought kits from other companies and packaged them in their own boxes. Some of these molds are now in the hands of Glencoe and that includes the chariot and is currently available. Considering the time period these kits were very well molded and detailed. I have a couple of these kits by Glencoe in my stash and built the stage coach a couple of years ago. It was not a fall together kit but if you want to build something different they are worthwhile kits to hunt down.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, cobraman said:

Not a car but .... does anyone want to build a toilet ? 

I guess you could park a 1/12 scale motorcycle in it, and have it being washed by a really fanatical owner.

Not 1/25 scale, but this is a new 1/35 kit from ICM in the Ukraine. The first in plastic, AFAIK.  A couple of resin companies have done these in the past, in both one-holer and two-holer configuration.  Maybe ICM will follow the trend of their car kits, and upscale this one to 1/24.  Imagine the diorama possibilities!

bog1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
  • Haha 1