Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

As those who know me probably understand, I like kits of obscure antique cars. A few years back, a friend in Europe sent me a 1/24th scale kit of a 1925 Hannomag Komissbrot Limousin! Hannnomag is/was a German company, primarily a builder of trucks, but in the 20's, in inflation-ridden Germany, they produced a small, rear engined car, the Komissbrot (translation: Comrade's Bread, so-called for it's loose resemblance to the military ration loaf of bread issued to German soldiers in WW-I)

Now, I have the Polistil 1/43 diecast of this car, which I acquired in the late 1960's, but NEVER expected to see a model kit of the car in 1/24 scale styrene. What's more interesting is, this kit was produced in the Soviet Union in the 1980's. Far from being crude, albeit with its multipiece body shell, is that it actually looks to be a very nice model kit of an obscure, yet really neat car. The Soviet company that tooled and produced it did it up rather proud--hinged engine cover with a detailed little motor underneath!

For those (say, Harry P?) who have never seen one, here is an example of the real thing:

mmissbrot_volkswagen_avtosojuz-vi.jpg

One of these days!

Art

As those who know me probably understand, I like kits of obscure antique cars. A few years back, a friend in Europe sent me a 1/24th scale kit of a 1925 Hannomag Komissbrot Limousin! Hannnomag is/was a German company, primarily a builder of trucks, but in the 20's, in inflation-ridden Germany, they produced a small, rear engined car, the Komissbrot (translation: Comrade's Bread, so-called for it's loose resemblance to the military ration loaf of bread issued to German soldiers in WW-I)

Now, I have the Polistil 1/43 diecast of this car, which I acquired in the late 1960's, but NEVER expected to see a model kit of the car in 1/24 scale styrene. What's more interesting is, this kit was produced in the Soviet Union in the 1980's. Far from being crude, albeit with its multipiece body shell, is that it actually looks to be a very nice model kit of an obscure, yet really neat car. The Soviet company that tooled and produced it did it up rather proud--hinged engine cover with a detailed little motor underneath!

Any pictures of the kit, Art? I, for one, would love to see it.

That '61 Falcon is definitely a suprise. Is that a four door too?

MVC003F-vi.jpgMvc005s-vi.jpg

The Premier kit (top photo) is indeed a 4 door. It's an odd scale, supposed to be 1/32 but who knows. It's too narrow and is more like a characture than a replica. The bottom photo is an Aussie resin, thick fiberglass. But I did get the windows opened and it sitting on a chassis.

I remember seeing the real thing several years back.and it was early Hemi powered ( man that car was cool )

And until I stumbled on this via Ebay I never knew a kit of it existed.

Not in my normal interests line, but one of these might just end up on my radar someday.

Allard-kit.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I remember seeing the real thing several years back.and it was early Hemi powered ( man that car was cool )

And until I stumbled on this via Ebay I never knew a kit of it existed.

Not in my normal interests line, but one of these might just end up on my radar someday.

Allard-kit.jpg

That's neat, haven't seen that kit it before.

If you've ever heard of Yamada, give yourself one point. If you've ever seen this kit, give yourself two points. If you own this kit, you have won life:

I have seen a few other remote control kits similar to that, not that one - I don't think they were made by Yamada, though

Here is a kit I got in a large lot a few years ago (most were planes/jets):

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

Edited by Erik Smith

I found this photo on my computer and searched the thread, thinking I had posted this, but couldn't locate it.

Anyway, I would run through a field of thistle in my skivvies for this kit!

b_a_p_1023-img600x450-1332912655wotcls27570.jpg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but c'mon, you have to admit, a guy with a bike and some sort of masked wrestler/super hero puppet show starting up? Who wouldn't want that?

I found this photo on my computer and searched the thread, thinking I had posted this, but couldn't locate it.

Anyway, I would run through a field of thistle in my skivvies for this kit!

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but c'mon, you have to admit, a guy with a bike and some sort of masked wrestler/super hero puppet show starting up? Who wouldn't want that?

Same series:

kit032.jpg

They do pop up occasionally.

I actually have one of those Faller The Bridge on the River Kwai kits. It always makes me think of Higgins from Magnum PI.

I'm guessing the kit is from the late 1950s. The lighter color "wood" pieces in my kit are molded with darker swirls in the plastic that makes for a surprisingly decent woodgrain effect.