Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

The mule team kit is currently available along with a package of actual borax ore to fill it with!

http://www.muleteamkits.com/

I saw one of those built several years ago at a contest and it took "Best of Show". There's also an automotive connection to it. The real mule team wagons were built by Studebaker.

I thought the wagons were built in Mojave, not South Bend.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought this kit > pics of the actual kit @ home ..

its from 1977 and in mint condition and sealed (inside)

i do have a questiona nd i hope somebody knows ?

the weird thing is it says 1/25 but it all looks so small ?? anybody knows about this ??

or is it just that the t is really small irl ?

270136_224622794337305_1191518853_n.jpg

382136_224622791003972_1034878225_n.jpg

I bought one of those from a 7-11 when I was a kid and yeah, it was rubber band powered.

I remember that I had several of those and, yeah, I got 'em from 7-11. The "torque reaction" drive was fun for a while but after a couple of hours the plastic gears would be toothless! :o Time to buy a new one! Fortunately, they were cheap.

Edited by mr moto

i bought this kit > pics of the actual kit @ home ..

its from 1977 and in mint condition and sealed (inside)

i do have a questiona nd i hope somebody knows ?

the weird thing is it says 1/25 but it all looks so small ?? anybody knows about this ??

or is it just that the t is really small irl ?

270136_224622794337305_1191518853_n.jpg

382136_224622791003972_1034878225_n.jpg

From what I know, they originally made the chassis for his Sedan Delivery car and then kept making kits with Buttera's name on them and used the same chassis with different bodies. Thus they managed to make some of the worst street rod kits ever! Yes, everything is odd sized and smaller than scale!

I have them for the sake of nostalgia but I highly doubt I will build them again! But I can not really say that since I never managed to finish one when I was a kid!!

From what I know, they originally made the chassis for his Sedan Delivery car and then kept making kits with Buttera's name on them and used the same chassis with different bodies. Thus they managed to make some of the worst street rod kits ever! Yes, everything is odd sized and smaller than scale!

I have them for the sake of nostalgia but I highly doubt I will build them again! But I can not really say that since I never managed to finish one when I was a kid!!

The Model T kits in this series ARE accurate, and are correct 1/25 scale. The '33 and '34 Fords that use the same chassis are undersized. The first car issued in the series was the '26 T sedan, the only one that actually exists as a 1:1 car. The kit was scaled right off of the actual car, a sedan built by John Buttera for his wife to drive. The body is pretty close to stock, but the fenders are widened a couple inches (Buttera jokingly called them "the rare Australian fenders").

The first issue of the sedan kit doesn't have any photos of the model, but instead had photos of the actual car. It didn't sell well until Revell changed the box to include photos of the assembled model. After that, modelers realized that the kit wasn't like earlier Revell kits (opening everything, tough to assemble) and sales took off. The '33 and '34 coupe kits are undersized, but the chassis is the same one that was included in the T kits. That makes those worth a look if you only need the chassis.

Those blister-packaged Palmer Cobras look like the Korris Kars packaging, at least as far as I remember.

I'm guessing only Erik has seen (and owns) this one? :D

NichimoHondaVamos.JPG

Being somewhat of a Honda nut, I have seen that kit. I do not, however, own one! I hovered my finger above "buy it now" once, but couldn't quite do it.